193 replies to this topic

#61 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:52 PM

View PostHorseman, on 17 November 2020 - 11:47 PM, said:

Non-viable. There is a portion of the community that does stock mode in lobbies, and you're talking about invalidating their lore builds. Let's... not go there.

The private lobby has a "stock loadout" option, so I don't think this is an issue.

#62 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:59 AM

View PostTamerlin, on 19 November 2020 - 08:52 PM, said:

The private lobby has a "stock loadout" option, so I don't think this is an issue.
Except when you're replacing those stock loadouts with different "stock" configurations as was pitched in the post I was replying to.

Edited by Horseman, 20 November 2020 - 12:59 AM.

#63 Al_Bundy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Force Commander
  • Force Commander
  • 135 posts
  • LocationBasel

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:08 PM

- "Bring the events in Game", nicht auf Webseiten außerhalb des Spiels
- Sie kann ein EVENT-Taste auf der rechten Seite für diese einrichten.
-Nehmen Sie Dinge wie (Leaderboard / Statistik / Erfolge), die kann dann unter dem Profil auf der Website sein.
-Als Ergebnis kann ein neuer Spieler sehen, dass sein Event viel besser vorgibt, als auf einer Seite gehen zu müssen (Ereignisfortschritt), nur um dann Belohnungen auf einer anderen Seite, war einfach umständlich.

Übersetzen von Google

Edited by BoneHunt, 20 November 2020 - 12:10 PM.

#64 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:43 PM

View PostBoneHunt, on 20 November 2020 - 12:08 PM, said:

- "Bring the events in Game", nicht auf Webseiten außerhalb des Spiels
- Sie kann ein EVENT-Taste auf der rechten Seite für diese einrichten.

They already did. The event button is on the bottom, looks like a huge stylized E. The only things that that require you to use the website to redeem are loot bag events and pick-a-prizes.

#65 McLaine

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

I play to enjoy the battles. I do love Battletech, and have done since the PnP days, but am not much of a memory guy for stats and lore and funky game mechanics.

I say this, because I couldn't tell you specifics of how to improve the game, or what I personally want. AFAIC, MWO is Pirahna's take on an online Battletech game, and if I find it fun and engaging, I'll play it, if I don't, I won't. No harping on.

That said, I CAN let you know how I'm feeling about the game atm:

Starting Tier:

Well, I came back to the game this year, just before the PSR reset to T3.

I Found matches at T3 lop sided and no fun most of the time.

I stuck it out though, and decided not to care about PSR. Then, because I was playing the game honestly (as in, not trying to artificially drop my PSR), it took a month or two (some fun matches, but vastly more lopsided matches) before my PSR dropped into the T5 bracket.

What do you know, down here in T5, the games invariably are more fun, and more balanced. I'm not saying there are no Trolls, but I don't seem to encounter them very often, and if I do, It doesn't have much of an impact on me because I'm looking forward to the next fun game.

I guess this is a vote for starting tier to be 5.

Group Play
I also have some friends at T1. Sad to say, when I group with them the same problem arises, lop sided matches. I guess this is down to the way the matchmaker handles a group of disparate PSR, and likely you can't do much about this without a Pop increase. I'd love to play with my mates and have fun though.

#66 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:40 AM

Confusing clunky UI (including skill tree) is the biggest obstacle for new players. Mechlab is half of the game and it's hard to navigate, full of confusing abbreviations and lots of things regarding mech building are not explained at all.
Also, mech bays are too restrictive.

#67 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:35 AM

New player should get 100 skill point bundle for free and two mechs.

Also it would be good to create some kind of short movie tutorial showing how to use skill tree, describing weapons, ranges, heat etc. This tutorial should be obligatory and should be a part of Academy.

It can go that way: You go Academy for the first time, and before you start the Academy you watch some short tutorial movie and you can't skip it.

Faction: No trial mechs in Faction. Only fully skilled mechs (with "wings") can go into Faction.

Obligatory tutorial movie for Faction. Showing the objectives for attacker/defender in Siege. In my firt Faction match I knew that I have to shoot the gens, but I didn't know where to shoot. Show new players in a movie where is that weak point of gens. Show the weak point of gate gens. Also some advices about mech choice. Like 12 assaults on first drops or something like that.

#68 TWLT S

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:13 AM

View PostHorseman, on 20 November 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

They already did. The event button is on the bottom, looks like a huge stylized E. The only things that that require you to use the website to redeem are loot bag events and pick-a-prizes.

Yeah but thats such a good example, how broken the GUI is.

Once I grouped with a guy that had 1.5 year experience in MWO and was quite a skilled player. But he did not know how LFG worked... just another example, that even players, who played for years dont know or dont understand the GUI in total. Of course the LFG Button and the LFG menue also needs a rework in order to make it more accesible. Not only for new players, but also for the whole community.

Edited by TWLT S, 22 November 2020 - 09:19 AM.

#69 Timber Ghost

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:56 AM

View PostMarx Headroom, on 21 November 2020 - 09:39 PM, said:

The ranking system also makes things weird for new players. It seems to heavily weight towards Damage done. If you're trying to improve your rank by maximizing your damage done, it's very easy to get sucked into the LRM/sniper role. New players tend to lack an intuition for good sniping spots or timing. They often wander off on their own in search of these opportunities and their fear of death (because dying early is the surest way to tank your Damage stat) makes them hesitant to stick with the group.

I know a more intelligent ranking system is a complicated problem (eg how can you detect a tactical defeat responsible for a strategic victory?) but reducing the weight given to Damage done would probably go a long way to delivering the kind of feedback new players need to build confidence.

What "ranking" system? If you are viewing the tiers as a "rank" then maybe we need to change the way the tiers are done. Or just hide this number from everybody. This is not meant to be an award, prize, or anything else. Just a simple tool to try and create quality matches with equally skilled players. An average player should not be in a match with a highly skilled player, nor should they be in a match with players of lesser skill. If a player is continually put in matches with higher skilled players, they will not play well, they will die early, become frustrated and leave the game. Besides, the higher tier players do less damage, killing the theory that your tier is based on damage done. I just do not understand the fascination of being a higher tier than what your skill level is. I hated being in tier 1. I was lucky to survive any match, damage was horrible, and when I made a minor mistake, I was focused down quickly. I am not a tier one player, and I do not want to be again. This is a sure fire way to discourage new players. Put them in matches where they get focused down quickly, and make it frustrating. A good player will find their way to the higher tier matches in pretty short order.

#70 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:07 PM

View PostTWLT S, on 22 November 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

Yeah but thats such a good example, how broken the GUI is.

Once I grouped with a guy that had 1.5 year experience in MWO and was quite a skilled player. But he did not know how LFG worked... just another example, that even players, who played for years dont know or dont understand the GUI in total. Of course the LFG Button and the LFG menue also needs a rework in order to make it more accesible. Not only for new players, but also for the whole community.

Agree. Had that problem myself with LFG. Also I didn't know that I have to push "back" button to be ready in a Faction group whenever group is canceled. Group canceling and reloading is pain in the a.ss. It looks like all good options, menus are there, but they are somehow hidden or not fully understandable. When you go Faction you are almost blind. LFG, yeah. But there is no list of players who are currently in Faction match or waiting in queue. I know that some wanna stay anonymous till the beginning of the match but maybe it will be good to create list of players who are in Faction match or are waiting for it? Something like friends list, but with more info:

Player X, status: deployed, LFG, waiting in queue, online/offline [with timer to know how long someone is deployed in current match, really miss that option]

In group: yes/no

Side: This or that

And maybe some more infos, but dunno which.

Then right clik and option: chat, invite to group etc.

Edited by Bistrorider, 22 November 2020 - 04:08 PM.

#71 Ragedog4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:58 PM

Here is another idea someone presented to me. So the idea I presented earlier with giving them 4 fully unlocked skill tree mechs (one of each tonnage, start giving them a hunchback or centurion, then thunderbolt, then raven-3l, then battlemaster. giving them a chance to try out the whole skill tree and many weapons/equipment to try out, while the cadet bonus can be their first mech they buy to skill up for the first time)

The other idea is do it similar to Warframe. Give them a list of mechs they can get at the start and let them pick 1 (or 2) fully maxed out to play with.

The free mastered mech concept gives them something to always fall back on, It does not have to be a meta broken mech just a fun one and gives them a mech to mess around the skill tree without any feel bad on messing up with getting the wrong skills.

#72 Fruguy

Rookie

• The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:00 AM

How about making mech bays available to purchase via C-bills?

If somebody want to play this game and gather their favorite mechs, then they should be able to do so at a consistent rate.

Make it a flat rate, or variable depending on the tonnage of the mech being purchased, but at least make it available for those that want to grind out the Cbills to purchase more than a couple of mechs.

#73 Pork-chop Express

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:51 AM

I'm not sure where to bring this up, but I'm sure new players are really turned off by the fact that you can't play in the mechbay while you wait on games. Just allowing us to build mechs (one of the cooler parts of the game) while we wait for the queues would make the waits much more bearable (especially for faction) and do a better job of not scaring off new players.

#74 Forgeling

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

View PostPork-chop Express, on 23 November 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

I'm not sure where to bring this up, but I'm sure new players are really turned off by the fact that you can't play in the mechbay while you wait on games. Just allowing us to build mechs (one of the cooler parts of the game) while we wait for the queues would make the waits much more bearable (especially for faction) and do a better job of not scaring off new players.

To this end could take a page from the tf2 quickplay system. While you're in line for a game you stay in the same set of menues and when a match becomes available you have a countdown timer to click on before your place in line is given to someone else.

#75 Agent Super Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:36 PM

I'd like to propose a solution that accounts for several issues listed here, in a tight package, that you'll easily be able to implement with existing programming you already have in just a couple weeks, and it will suit everyone involved.

tl;dr:
You can solve a lot of problems and encourage good behaviours by running a permanent "event" that rewards good behaviour from new players, and ignores bad behaviour.

Buy a light and provide AMS/ECM on your first 10 matches until you can aim? Cadet "event' bonus reward of a mech bay + some c-bills.
Take a 46kph mech "flanking" on a 5-minute detour and lose the match for your team right away? No reward listed.
But staying lance in formation with an assault? Rewarded!
Even just a 1-sentence teaching prompt in the text below each reward when they go to click redeem: "Why do you think PPCs are good for shooting down UAVs?" "Why do you think small pulse lasers are only good for "brawling" rewards at x meters or less"?
(Side note: I'm a regular player of 1 year and I STILL don't know how many meters to get a brawling reward. That's not cool.
I know that hit and run means I do 30 damage and take less than x damage in return, after y seconds... but that's about all I know.
There should be a page of up to date definitions of all those, linked at the BOTTOM of the page for each active event that has such rewards. |
You guys should be able to knock that out in an afternoon. And if you can't, I wonder why the players are confused.)

That's the thrust of most of what follows, and I think it organizes many of the suggestions in this thread in a way that works for basic psychology and works for your available program code. I think ALL parties will enjoy this solution - developers, new players, and old players.
Let's get into it:

It's true that NOTHING ruins expanding the player base faster that brutalizing people their first 25 hours in a new game. Even though I've played other MW games and am a decent gamer, my first few games were pretty meh. If I'd not been in tier 4, I imagine it would have been discouraging.
Move cadets to tier 5 unless they complete training, then tier 4 - GREAT idea.
ALSO: MUST give each trial mech 46 optimal skill points for the build. Same reason as above.

YES! to rewards for playing a reasonable number of light, medium, heavy and assault mechs - preferably making the assault IMPOSSIBLE to unlock (ok to earn but not disbursed) until you complete the other 3.
Because few things draw more salt than a cadet in a tier 3 match wasting an assault by doing 3 damage.

Go even farther, since you have the means to measure their activities! - you play a Wolfhound and you get points for protecting the assaults or staying with your lance. You play a support mech and you get points for ECM and AMS coverage: low-skill but high team-mindedness gets rewarded (but only rewarded the first couple times, since you need to grow after that); taking an assault slot and being useless is your personal choice but is NOT a reinforced behaviour - because it sure ain't popular with us!
This is a PHENOMENAL time to reinforce these behaviours, before any careless habits are learned. This should happen from match #1.

By the way, teaching new players proper teamwork has been degraded by the new spawn points - if someone is placed alongside another backstabber or front-line mech, then they may follow the nearest and monkey-see monkey-do the correct stuff; SLIM chance of two assaults on far side of map grouping up; that presumes FAR too much game knowledge. This has been a real degradation of the new player experience lately.

LANCES should drop where they're supposed to drop. If a group brings 3 assaults and a light, and they want to fight near each other, that light pilot can move their buns over to their friends on the map, no sweat. But really they're probably going to run off with the other lights on the drop and go do light mech things, no?
We're prioritizing the wrong thing right now in where our spawn drops go, and nobody likes the messed up drop locations.
Kill ten birds with one stone by fixing it. Go back to encouraging teamwork with simple psychological nudges again; like you dropping them in proximity, and then them being rewarded for staying that way with cadet event bonuses.

Tutorials: Identify what is NOT covered by the Youtubers, and work on that. For example, map strategy videos, for QP and for Faction especially - everyone is so precious about play that close to their chests, and it makes a real inequity for new players. Why even bother playing MWO if it's going to be like that for ages and ages?
There are good videos for build guides and such, so I would just link to some of those for now.

Instead of spamming cadets with Mk. II-B's in the trials, or terrible mechs, give them good b-tier builds to enjoy, built around themes - this one is great for side pokes, this one for hill pokes, this one for range, this one for support, this one for brawling, this one for capping - and then REWARD correct behaviours. Like an event running 365 days a year - provide ZERO encouragement to go "flank" in a 48kph mech, but give a fat cadet bonus / all year long event for lance in formation for the assault, flanking for the Cicada, shooting down UAVs in the Panther, reward brawling in a pulse laser mech but don't reward shooting pulse lasers at something 900m away; reward LRM use only ONE time (gasp, I said it), and IN FORMATION ONLY - teach the CORRECT use of each tool at hand with reinforcement. And give them the silent treatment, c-bill-wise, for doing sub-optimal things.

Why don't we get rewarded for flanking in an assault? Because that's dumb and everyone hates you for it. Why don't we get rewarded for shooting down UAVs in an SRM backstabber? Because that's dumb. Etc., etc.
If you're going to be cruel enough to give them an IS XL trial mech, have a reward for shooting from range or something. Or heavily reward them for capping objectives in an XL light or medium. Reward Wolfhound pilots for shooting legs off light mechs; reward Annihilator pilots for getting kills on other assault mechs. Really teach and reward and teach and reward; see what it does for teamwork and reducing the sodium.

Starting with 6-8 mech bays is a great idea (but...).
Allow a couple buyer remorse mistakes before they get with the program and get a drop deck's worth. Let them own 2x IS and 2x Clan before they commit to getting a proper set of 4.
EVEN better: you could link to cadet rewards - get 5 kills and 2000 AMS in a light, unlock a mech bay (basically; prove you're READY to take up an assault slot or a slot in Faction without earning ALL the salt in the process - and again, no prohibitions, just positive reinforcement for good or silence for salt-worthy choices). Pilot an IS and a Clan mech for 100 matches each, get another mech bay.

And as an aside, this needs to be said:
Selling scouting decks to new players for real world money if you're not going to run scouting... don't do that.
Much better option: please run some scouting; it's fun when you finally get with someone who can lead you!! (or if PGI puts out a good how-to video for it!)
Actually, you could link teachable event rewards to written descriptions and videos that show how to do it, right there on the same webpage, as a future iteration of this concept.

I think this will fix MANY of the problems commonly listed by new players and old, and since you have the means to track these metrics and issue rewards (like an event that's running for 365 days), I think this is ALL something you can implement before x-mas.
And hey, it'll train them to come to the website and be marketed to and see the latest news, and your business department will like that, right? ;)

#76 Bux

Rookie

• The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 03:14 PM

I think a few pilots covered it in the posts, but I will piggy back on the topic of game progression. Currently after the academy there are no videos or a guide that flows naturally to the games progression. Nothing telling new pilots that when they buy their first mechs, they should be thinking about what they want to do next. Whether that is a competitive rank queue or faction warfare.

I recently tried to bring two new players into the game. They really enoyed the theory crafting aspect and gameplay. However, after they played enough quick play to fill the initial 3 mech bays, the time and energy investment to get a deck together to play faction warfare seemed like a monumental task to them and they quit shortly after.

One of them mentioned this:

If he had known what he was supposed to do as next step or what the end game was, that he would have made different choices on the mechs he purchased. I think this speaks to a wall that a lot of new players experience when first starting out. Also, that the end game isn't clear or excitable enough at the moment for new players to want to keep playing or progessing.

#77 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:44 PM

interesting that all the new guys will be starting at 4.5, wow i'm 4.5, hope to see you all on the battle field : )

Sawk

#78 Tenchuu

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 November 2020 - 08:58 PM

View PostTimber Ghost, on 22 November 2020 - 09:56 AM, said:

What "ranking" system? If you are viewing the tiers as a "rank" then maybe we need to change the way the tiers are done. Or just hide this number from everybody. This is not meant to be an award, prize, or anything else. Just a simple tool to try and create quality matches with equally skilled players. An average player should not be in a match with a highly skilled player, nor should they be in a match with players of lesser skill. If a player is continually put in matches with higher skilled players, they will not play well, they will die early, become frustrated and leave the game. Besides, the higher tier players do less damage, killing the theory that your tier is based on damage done. I just do not understand the fascination of being a higher tier than what your skill level is. I hated being in tier 1. I was lucky to survive any match, damage was horrible, and when I made a minor mistake, I was focused down quickly. I am not a tier one player, and I do not want to be again. This is a sure fire way to discourage new players. Put them in matches where they get focused down quickly, and make it frustrating. A good player will find their way to the higher tier matches in pretty short order.

There's nothing more defeating than seeing your "player rank" drop in red after every match, even ones you feel you did well in. That made me almost quit, especially when people verified it was more about damage dealt than anything else. Now I'm in a clan, I have teammates, I feel like there's more stability and I know what to expect out of a match. I do better as a result. But I still don't want a system that does a poor job of measuring anything but damage telling me what a bad player I am. Either hide what you're doing or make it look less punitive than watching a bar slowly go down as you rank down again and again. It loses you players.

#79 Tenchuu

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:47 PM

A lot of players above have mentioned great ideas. I'm going to go about this in a different way to get to what you need to see.
I'm Noob1.
I download the game. I install it. I don't have any special bonuses from referrals, I don't have any free mechs because I'm a Prime subscriber or Twitch user and might stream my games, like I do with any other MMO out there, but hey, I love mechs, so let's see what this is all about.
Game loads. It goes through three or four loading screens. One of them is RIDICULOUSLY louder than the rest, so I immediately have to pull off my headphones and crank the volume down. No other screen is like this, so I have to crank the volume up eventually. The intro video makes a big deal about something called Solaris. I have no idea what Solaris is. I figure I'm going to get told fairly shortly if it's a big deal, and there's something about the Solaris season but it doesn't really explain much to me as a new player so I forget it for now. I immediately notice how DATED the UI is. Not only is the text tiny, and I have no way to adjust it, but there's nothing intuitive about the interface. I've played a lot of World of Warships, so I'm already starting to make comparisons and not impressed. Nothing big and friendly is jumping up to guide me through things. I don't need or want a person to, I want the system to guide me like it does in WoWs. I mean, in that game every time I go to a new menu there's a video explaining all the different things on the screen. In this there's something of a guide but it's not telling me much. In a lot of situations I'm left with no indication of where I should go next or what I should do. I see a row of buttons across the bottom, but don't know what they particularly mean. I expect to get dropped into a set of tutorials, and eventually I do. I've completed all of those in the academy, so I should be all set. But this isn't WoWs so I'm not getting handed a big banner of "YOUR NEXT MISSION" telling me to play games until I've done 1000 points of damage. There are rewards for that, I find out later as I randomly get them, but they're not front and center. I go into my first game and get killed two minutes in. I don't understand how people are moving, and I can tell already the loadout on my mechs is sub par. I decide to put it down for the night, and go play some WoWs where I remember I had one ship from each nation to start with and I could upgrade them and go up to the next level of ship after just a few games. Sure it was a logarithmic scale of effort per level, but it's easy at first. And there are fifteen main missions! Each one I get gives me a different kind of ship and condition to pass. For one I'm getting torpedo skills, for one it's artillery, another it's spotting. OK, next day, MWO. When I log in I'm immediately reminded that every time I log into any other MMO I'm immediately rewarded for starting the game with some kind of minor prize, often with full weeks of logging in granting me a full chest to open! There are interesting items inside that make sense to me and are fun. Half a month into MWO I'm going to be surprised to get a cache, and it's going to give me four purple items that don't seem to have any use on the mechs I have except a sticker of a girl. OK, I guess I can put that on my mech. Now I'm in the mechbay and it's giving me some kind of tutorial, but it's tiny and purely text based and not really helping me that much. It's very bare bones and I realize that the interface is really clunky. I am staring at the mech I think I've chosen, but when I want to mess with what goes on it first I have to "select mech" and choose it (I hope I got the name right because the pictures are really small and don't tell me anything at all, not even a mouseover like in other games), THEN I can edit the loadout. That's weird. I think it's a one off, but I save it out and move to another screen but when I come back, nope, same extra step. Clunky system is clunky. I am working on the mechs I have, but they seem really limited. I don't see an easy way to get started in a certain category. There isn't a cheap Assault mech for me to try out if I want. I'm thinking about the eight ships I had within the first day on WoWs and how the lower level ones are basically given away so you can try out different styles. Then there's a simple upgrades screen. I'm glad there's a real mechbay here, but a beginner mode you can switch off when you've got it figured out would help. It'd be great if I could say "I want to make the mech I have focused on long range fire" and it suggested long range weapons that fit on my mech and hid weapons I couldn't take. Or "I want to make a brawler" so it gave me short range ideas and told me to put tons into armor and also aim my skills in that direction. The skill tree doesn't seem too hard, but it won't be until months later when I fill one out that I start to see the real impact it has. I have no idea about this as a starting player. I find a mech I like the look of and the guns seem OK. I've made a little cash completing some random quests I didn't know about. I guess it's OK. The game isn't really telling me anything about it, but hey, I played P&P Mechwarrior, I know a thing or two about building a mech.
I go into another match. I'm blown away. Mechs aren't very strong. They can't take much damage, so I should probably hide and try to get a good shot. But I built this mech for melee and it just seems terrible at it. I'm getting blown up so fast my teammates don't even notice me, but every game I get reminded my skill is poor, even when I start getting a kill or two in games and feel good about my performance. It's so weird compared to WoWs, where after every match I get medals and rewards and they just give me little things like flags or pennants that are one use but boost my experience or something by a tiny amount, so I feel like I've done something unless I REALLY do nothing. There's not a lot going on in voice chat, but that's nothing new. I am glad to see matches where people are talking because when there's a strategy I can follow I feel like I'm doing a lot better! I can finally afford a new mech, but only a Flea. Well, I like Fleas a lot in the other Mechwarrior games, so I'll get one. So I've spent my cash on it, I picked the one I thought had a good loadout with lots of machine guns, because I haven't run into anything in the game that tells me much about them and strategy with them. I get slaughtered again and again. I ask the people in game and they tell me it's a really bad mech for a beginner, and light mechs are hard to play. "But they're the cheapest!" I say. They laugh. They ask me if I've been checking the forum. Forum? Why would I need to check a forum? Shouldn't the game be directing me to the relevant info? I go to the forum. It's straight out of the 2000s. I'm having flashbacks, and worse, it doesn't look very active. I want to find info on the Flea I got, but there's almost nothing and most of the posts on it are years old! I get really concerned for the state of the game at this point. This is a far cry from the honed and elegant image I get from WoWs or even Fall Guys. I start looking online and find some videos on Fleas but most are pretty old. I find one guy, Baradul, who I start watching because it looks like he's covered almost EVERY mech, and it's like a crash course in each one and what the benefits are. He's energetic, optimistic, doesn't focus on the negative and shows a lot about teamwork. Nothing in the actual game has shown me any of this. I'm elated and also discouraged. I've found a source of info, but not everything because I'm still trying to figure out events and being annoyed I have to be pulled out of the game to see a web page for sales. I find out a month later I have a bunch of prizes waiting for me for an event I didn't know I was making progress in. By that point I'm pretty much just playing Quick Match and trying out new mechs I get, though I'm still constantly being punished and pushed down in rank for trying out new things and not being good with them. WoWS doesn't even rank people unless they're in an official rank battle, outside of that they play through fifteen levels of semi-tutorial missions with real players the same level as them and a lot of bots and slowly work their way up and then are allowed to join a clan and participate in ranked games. Not here. I'm nervous about entering Faction play because the game has told me very little beyond "you're not experienced enough" and Solaris seems incredibly dead or I'm incredibly dead in Solaris, so really Quick Play is about my only option. The game content is drying up because I don't have a series of ongoing challenges and campaigns to be involved in just by playing more and doing better like I do in WoWs. I can't increase the font when I go to buy mechs, because now I'm trying that out to be supportive, there's just a giant grid of over a hundred with no detailed information on it, even when I click on them. I have to tab out of there and go to an entirely different section to see any information about the mechs that are on sale. I've put in two months and thirty bucks into the game and I don't feel like I get anything out of it, so I just stop trying. Maybe they'll fix it some day.

That experience. That's Noob1. That's most new players I know, because I've tried to pull some in. Until you fix that experience you're not keeping new players or getting any drawn in. Drops should be like candy. Mechs should be practically free if they're not very good. Make the good weapons more expensive. Make the quirks buyable with credits. Give away flags that give tiny boosts. MICROREWARD. Seriously, open a WoWs account, open half a dozen other similar games online and do some deep level comparisons about all the ways they are succeeding and you are not and take it as a WHOLE, not as individual components. Many, many other companies have fixed this problem or avoided it from the start. Give away your imaginary money to get real cash. When I'm trying to buy a dock for a level 6 ship in WoWs I will fork out the cash because the first 15 or so were basically free. I can take different paths and try out SO MANY kinds of ships with little or no penalty. Figure out how to do that with mechs. It shouldn't be hard. Some of this may be. But a lot of it is just a matter of you getting out of the mold you're in and facing what a MMO actually looks like today. And for God's sake stop making buying things difficult!

Edited by Tenchuu, 24 November 2020 - 09:48 PM.

#80 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:10 AM

I want to thank you for hashing your story out like this. You did a great job of detailing each part of your visual and new player experience in MWO.

This once again points out that any unit lead, other committed player or community lead would have helped this player to progress and then be there when things didn't go as expected in this game. Having another player essentially showing them the ropes goes a long way. Then the player can start learning some quick tactical experience on the current maps with their help.

This is almost impossible to create via a UI experience without loads of work. It would be much easier to have a person there "in-game" to engage this player when they come in. To at least give that player an option to progress in MWO. Even if they didn't take them up on the help, they would return when it does happen.

Community leaders in the past have been there helping players too. You guys really need to make a commitment to the player base to bring back the popularity of this multiplayer mechwarrior game called MWO.

Once again, the issue of manpower will come up. I suggest you poll the active units and players that are currently in the game. Ask them if they would want a way to quickly talk to new or existing players "in-game" when they need help.

I bet the response would be overwhelming. That is because the players in this game like to empower new players and see them progress. This is a niche simulator game that has loads of technology and potential for warfare on a galactic scale. When these new and existing players see what it is like to play in a cohesive unit with the same folks, night after night, they are hooked. The Ole' school mechwarriors remember those days. ;)

I think the game has what it takes currently to make this happen without spending loads of time building UI tutorials for every blocker for the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users