Broken Silicon - Nvidia Gives A **** About Gamers

5 replies to this topic

#1 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:29 AM

Listen from minute ~40 on:
RX 6800 Ray Tracing, RTX 3060 Ti, PS5 Silent Hills & MGS Exclusives, Apple M1 | Broken Silicon 76 - YouTube

#2 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:42 AM

NVIDIA Reportedly Sold $175 Million Worth of Ampere GPUs to Miners

NVIDIA Reportedly Sold $175 Million Worth of Ampere GPUs to Miners - The FPS Review

#3 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 December 2020 - 03:12 PM

they needed someone to pay for tensor cores .... and gamers .... well, we pretty much rejected them .... mostly because their application didnt suit the existing games we play, and aint no one got time to wait for the next generation of games that may or may never be delivered ....

so they went back to the drawing board ... and managed to produce ... nvidia broadcast .... now idk .... i'd probably be less unimpressed if it were actually anywhere as good as the marketing guys want you to believe it is .... but seeing as is less effective than an EQ high / low pass filter at removing bird noise from the source ... I certainly didnt see any of the supposed intelligence, but I did manage to catch it making this sound very artificial ... I guess thats half of what was implied ....

so that pretty much leaves the tensor cores to only be of real value to people using them how they were designed to be used, for massive computational work .... ie, the miners ....

NVIDIA's obligations are to shareholders, they are investors in the company, whereas gamers are consumers of the **** that is turned out .... we may be the founders, but that doesnt give them legal obligations to us ...

anyone trying to incite outrage at them for 'having their own business model', is probably misleading you in the first place, because, algorithms feed on conflict ... they thrive on people arguing .... getting one person angry draws in a crowd of onlookers, and the mob suffers from tall poppy syndrome ...

I guess theres also VR, but when it stops being meh, i'll stop treating it so ...

#4 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 07:41 AM

Well, when the stakeholders become more important than the customerbase that pays the living of them it becomes capitalism misunderstood...

#5 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:14 AM

nVIDEA makes a lot of money with GPUs for cars (entertainment system, but also drive assistants).
They ignore the biggest gaming market - consoles - since 8 (?) years...
https://www.nvidia.c...f-driving-cars/

But before you get angry about that... nVidea also did a lot for high end gaming without earning much back.
Remember Havoc Physics or 3D Vision?

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,365 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 03:17 AM

Mh, i fear NVidia has already shifted so far away from gaming that it is a mere afterthought to maximize profit and milk us gamers.
AMD has decided to tail Nvidia and well, we have the market we have...

Nvidia certainly did some great things but more for creators and less for gamers.

Havoc is the Microsoft physics engine.
Nvidia bought Physx to have an engine of their own so they could inflate rubble from damage and win benchmarks with maximum rubble settings compared.
That Mafia game (Mafia 2 i think) was a Victim of maximum NVidia-Physx rubble...utmost ugly and artificially slow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users