Steam Keys For Those Who Preorded Mw5 And Hate Epic Platform?

34 replies to this topic

#21 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:36 PM

PGI said long ago what would happen. It stands to reason there's nothing to discuss here for people who bought the game a year past. Those sales are done. You should expect nothing.

Just enjoy the game. That's what you bought it for. Seriously lol.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 06 December 2020 - 07:36 PM.

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 02:01 AM

View PostSomersetStriker, on 06 December 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

PGI said long ago what would happen. It stands to reason there's nothing to discuss here for people who bought the game a year past. Those sales are done. You should expect nothing.

Just enjoy the game. That's what you bought it for. Seriously lol.

would be more enjoyable if it had some dlc.

#23 Robinson Crusher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:53 AM

So, I gather that people who tried EPIC and hated it are just out of pocket. I didn't much like the unmodified game because of the stompy weapons with no gyro-stabilization. Epic on the other hand was a constant source of malware. I should have erased it all sooner than I did.Posted Image

It seems I have no incentive to try any mods or DLC. Well then, if they aren't giving it to people who went along with the Epic release, I certainly won't be wasting money on the steam version, just to see if they (or a modder) eventually fixed it.Posted Image

#24 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:14 PM

View PostRobinson Crusher, on 22 December 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

It seems I have no incentive to try any mods or DLC. Well then, if they aren't giving it to people who went along with the Epic release, I certainly won't be wasting money on the steam version, just to see if they (or a modder) eventually fixed it.Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Mod "Tools" is basically the UE editor with MW5 project preloaded, they can't upload it to the Steam Workshop. Hat In Time has it's own tools, but MW5 isn't despite both being Unreal Engine albeit different versions.

That being said, MW5 already has mods that fixes the "Stompiness" of the mechs, such as MercTech and MW5 Reloaded. Of course the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired, it's certainly no MW4 Mercs.

#25 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:45 AM

you know a class action lawsuit might be in order with the bait and switch. But hay, what do i know.

#26 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:53 AM

good luck with that.

#27 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

View PostHorseman, on 29 November 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

That's a no. I've asked them about it and gave them plenty of time to respond last year, and this was the response I got:
Posted Image

That is disgusting... So they bait and switch customers and then screw them over as well.. No wonder their games do so poorly.

View PostHorseman, on 30 November 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

Just to be clear: this comes from an e-mail exchange from last year.
However, I severely doubt that anything has changed since then, especially given that if PGI change their minds about that it would lead to another customer blow-up as last time.

Also, don't forget: The modding tools won't be available on Steam anyway, you need EGS for that.

Nexus will fix that, it always does..

View PostLordNothing, on 04 December 2020 - 01:07 PM, said:

would be cool id pgi issued steam keys to everyone who did not cancel their pre-order.

but im not expecting anything from them.

They should you paid and pre ordered their game on steam, if they don't give you a copy thats thievery.

Edited by Samial, 27 January 2021 - 05:55 PM.

#28 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

View PostSamial, on 27 January 2021 - 05:45 PM, said:

They should you paid and pre ordered their game on steam, if they don't give you a copy thats thievery.

Come on now. All users here can play the game. The choice for each person to not play it is of their own making.

Either take it to court or stop complaining.

#29 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 11:36 AM

View PostSomersetStriker, on 28 January 2021 - 02:10 PM, said:

Either take it to court or stop complaining.

Mh technicly people didn't pre-order on steam. People pre-ordered it via the PGI Website that said it would come to steam.
Also IIRC it was mentioned that PGI was talking to different stores pretty early on, including Epic and people should have known Epics polices regarding the exclusive deals at that point, so one could say that people could have known that this could have happend before it happend?

As far as I can remember I wasn't that surprised when the exclusive deal was announced. Russ said they where looking for other places beside Steam to launch their title on and it was a time where companies left and right where takeing Epics money. There was also a refund option, wasn't it? So even if people bought it they could have gotten their money back allready while keeping all the MWO goodies.

So we are back to what SomersetStriker said, its everyones choice to play or not.

Edited by Nesutizale, 21 February 2021 - 11:38 AM.

#30 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:49 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 21 February 2021 - 11:36 AM, said:

Mh technicly people didn't pre-order on steam. People pre-ordered it via the PGI Website that said it would come to steam.
Correct. Either way, they ordered it in good faith that PGI would deliver it under the promised conditions. PGI chose to alter the deal (wheeze), that's on them. They also started the preorders while actively pursuing an exclusivity deal with Epic, chose to keep the pre-orders going when they signed that deal, and they chose to lie when concerned customers reached out to them. All of that's on them too.

Also IIRC it was mentioned that PGI was talking to different stores pretty early on, including Epic and people should have known Epics polices regarding the exclusive deals at that point, so one could say that people could have known that this could have happend before it happend?
By the same token, PGI made Steamworks support a big point in several of their advertisements and outright stated the preorder would activate on Steam.
Their customers were making the pre-order upon a good faith belief that it would be delivered under the terms that were described to them ( and yes, switching platforms is a big deal no matter how much some people here try to argue otherwise ).
It may be otherwise in your country, but in Canada the doctrine of good faith is Serious Business: http://web.archive.o...ng-parties.html https://www.american.../04/02_kierans/

There was also a refund option, wasn't it? So even if people bought it they could have gotten their money back allready while keeping all the MWO goodies.
Yes. However, IIRC they sent a single e-mail about this, and even that was sent very close to the end of the refund window rather than immediately after they announced the change.
As a result, we've seen customers who came back to the forums after a year or so of being away - well after the whole debacle and the end of refund deadline - and heard nothing about the platform change.
Clearly, it could (and should) have been communicated better.

Edited by Horseman, 21 February 2021 - 05:01 PM.

#31 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 10:48 PM

View PostSamial, on 27 January 2021 - 05:45 PM, said:

to be fair i did receive the thing i paid for.

#32 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:52 AM

@Horseman

I agree on the point that PGI could have handled it much better. More annoucements about whats going on, more mails, longer deadlines. Not just beeing on Twitter but also the Forums and Website.

Still there are a few points that where handled well IMO.
The refund was exeptional good. Frankly I thought about refundeing and buying it on Epic again because I would save 10 credits while even keeping everything from the Preorder. That is a deal I haven't seen any game company do. Would I have made 5-6 preoders and refunded them I would have gotten the game for free that way ^_^

Also for those who just don't buy stuff and forget about it there was actualy quite a lot of new....you just had to search for it, what is bad on its own. Still did you know for example that Russ explained that Epic refused a deal when they where approached and it was for that reason the aspected to launch on steam and maybe GOG, also even that was uncertain at that point.
Only very late they tried again, over some other channels IIRC, to get into the Epic programm again and only then they where accepted but had to keep quite about it.
So part of the missing communication is to blame on Epic I think.

Long story short, yes there are reasons to be pissed about what happend but I think the entire think has been blown out of proportions.
The steam release will come and I think it would be a nice gesture, for those who preordered but missed the deadline, to be given a key for steam or at least offer a reduced priced key for those who haven't used their Epic key.

#33 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:33 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 22 February 2021 - 07:52 AM, said:

Still there are a few points that where handled well IMO.
The refund was exeptional good. Frankly I thought about refundeing and buying it on Epic again because I would save 10 credits while even keeping everything from the Preorder. That is a deal I haven't seen any game company do. Would I have made 5-6 preoders and refunded them I would have gotten the game for free that way Posted Image
I'd argue this was the only solution to avoid losing more of their existing customers than they already did.

Still did you know for example that Russ explained that Epic refused a deal when they where approached and it was for that reason the aspected to launch on steam and maybe GOG, also even that was uncertain at that point.
Only very late they tried again, over some other channels IIRC, to get into the Epic programm again and only then they where accepted but had to keep quite about it.
So part of the missing communication is to blame on Epic I think.
Honestly, I'd still put the blame on PGI for the simple fact that they launched the preorder campaign and promised commitment to a specific platform before they were actually committed to it behind the scenes.

#34 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 01:22 PM

it was a crappy thing they did, but i really didnt have a platform preference in the first place. if it were up to me the game would released on physical media (which probably wouldn't work because i haven't bothered installing optical drives in my machines for the last decade) or be downloaded directly from pgi (sort of like how ksp was released). even to this day i have less than 10 games on steam, one on epic and 3 on battle net, and several on stand alone installers. i care about games not platforms.

#35 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:46 PM

Depends on the size of your game collection, the number of platforms you own them on and your view about the quality of service (and security!) by the platform's operator. If you own a larger collection then you eventually settle on one "primary" platform.
And, well, consider the situation with Epic overall - the state in which they launched, the MAJOR fuckups with EGS (e-mail verification, remember?) and failure to deliver standard features of a modern online store. Add the paid exclusivity tactics when they couldn't beat Steam's platform on feature level, and all of that leaves a pretty bad taste. A user's refusal to support the platform or to be manipulated into signing up with it is not unreasonable under these circumstances.

Edited by Horseman, 23 February 2021 - 12:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users