• Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

Dear PGI,

what the thread title says, really.

https://ibb.co/4pnBLVs

I've literally seen cadets unable to fire their gauss rifles, because they weren't familiar with the charging mechanic. I can't blame them.

With the quality of the introductory campaign in this game (non-existant), the density of in-game tutorials (next-to-none), the accesibility of game mechanics to people who are possibly unaware of BattleTech and previous MechWarrior titles (ridiculous), how, exactly, do you expect to retain players going through matches such as from the above screen shot?

Are you not interested in retaining genuine new players?
Nobody thought of that?

Why do you not let new players start in Tier 4 or Tier 5 instead? Programming too hard?

(edited to include T5)

Edited by Roland09, 03 December 2020 - 03:02 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:42 PM

It's too hard, you expect too much.

/s

#3 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:04 PM

They just announced on the monday update that cadets will be middle of Tier 5 starting sometime within this or the next week. I'm guesstimating next tuesday.

Note that this means that there will be less PSR points in the system for every new player than there is for every old player. This might slightly skew the system towards lower tiers but probably not much.

#4 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:09 PM

Ah, I was not aware of that. Thanks for pointing this out.

#5 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:10 PM

View PostGagis, on 03 December 2020 - 03:04 PM, said:

Note that this means that there will be less PSR points in the system for every new player than there is for every old player. This might slightly skew the system towards lower tiers but probably not much.

It wouldn't change the points in the system at all... all the players that maxed out T1 can still "earn" PSR points but it doesn't accumulate beyond 5000 and is lost into a black hole. Likewise, players in T5 with 0 points can't lose it anymore yet other players can "earn" it from them. The zero-sum system has never been zero-sum.

#6 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:18 PM

Ah ok, the black hole makes it a moot point.

#7 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,842 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:59 PM

I'd be curious to know if that was a majority tier 1 game though. Did the op get dragged into a lower tier match up instead?

#8 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:27 PM

its a problem ,thats you can here drive each techlevel mech as Cadet ,like CoD warzone ...in other games (War Thunder for example the Level of player ist binding by Techlevels of Time ,you drive a M1 Abrams you have many experience ,you Drive only a Sherman ,you a Cadet or a T1 Player thats drive his old Chassies for fun...in reality its give only One matchmaker, you a a new snowflake so learn fast or die...in Battlefield, MWO or each other PvP Game..here no Cadet Regions like Battlestar Galactica Online, no Cadet Servers or Lobbys ...ist like Cod BR ...live with it or die.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 03 December 2020 - 09:20 PM.

#9 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:09 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 03 December 2020 - 06:59 PM, said:

I'd be curious to know if that was a majority tier 1 game though. Did the op get dragged into a lower tier match up instead?

It may have been seeded as a Tier 2 match.

No difference, though.

#10 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:12 PM

View PostRoland09, on 03 December 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

Why do you not let new players start in Tier 4 or Tier 5 instead? Programming too hard?

The easy answer is they wanted new players to be food to keep the queues popping fast because T3 is the most valuable resource in the MWO queue (it is used by all queues from T3-T5 and T1-T3. Having lots of T3 pilots ensures fast queues. From a design standpoint, you want as many T3 pilots as possible.

Despite that, it was the wrong way to approach it as they completely tossed aside consideration for new players and just used them as fodder for T1 pilots.

One way to make the queues a little more flexible, which is reasonable in terms of fair design, is to have the system identify pilots who are T4 and have the bar filled up to 80% or 90% and pick them first when available if there are not enough players to fill a T1-T3 game.

A player that is 80% or 90% on the way to T3 should be fair game for T1 encounters now and then since the are nearly at T3 anyway.

Edited by Elizander, 06 December 2020 - 11:16 PM.

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:31 AM

Making T4 80% or 90% part of the food is not the answer
People don't like being food

In sports from local level to elite level are those people food?
No
Because their are local and elite levels and all the levels in between

And if the sports any good have enough people (not food) to fill those levels
Coz the people who administer and manage sports do so
in the understanding that if people are not having fun the sport won't be popular

Being food is no fun
Same with MWO
Many cannot and don't want to understand that

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 December 2020 - 05:33 AM.

#12 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:09 AM

I guess it's a good thing they just announced new accounts are going to start at T5 huh?

#13 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

As it stands, T1 basically means nothing, so I say it makes no difference either way.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 09 December 2020 - 02:20 PM

View PostCherge, on 09 December 2020 - 10:23 AM, said:

As it stands, T1 basically means nothing, so I say it makes no difference either way.

There are handful of legit T1 players but for the majority of the population it translates as "I farm stats".

#15 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 03:16 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 09 December 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

There are handful of legit T1 players but for the majority of the population it translates as "I farm stats".

The average skill level in MWO is so low that being able to farm stats puts you well above the norm and makes the current iteration of tiers useful for matchmaking purposes.

Cherge might be thinking of the previous system where everyone and their dog was in Tier 1. You could often find better players in lower tiers who were just newer.

#16 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:40 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 09 December 2020 - 08:09 AM, said:

I guess it's a good thing they just announced new accounts are going to start at T5 huh?

huh, That news has been out a while now!
Being T3, Their still available to you
But out of reach of T1's which is guid

Doh your answer had no relavance in regard to what I was saying
Huh maybe if customers weren't treated as food they would be more customers, are you implying that? Huh

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:46 PM

View PostCherge, on 09 December 2020 - 10:23 AM, said:

Who told you that garbage, means nothing why some posters in this very thread are not T1,
I guess nothing was too much for them.
Some one spruiking their own match maker system agenda I'm guessing and you preach it like gospel

When I have played the rare games soley with T1's it played like a different game, at a different level

But if you mean the low population open valves 3 Tier spread garbage we have been lately playing mostly

Then yeah garbage

Who can carry that crap

#18 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:27 PM

I guess the population is so small they have no choice.. The match maker breaks down when a small population plays which in turn drives more population away due to seal clubbing and toxic players.. Its a never ending cycle this game has dealt with since the beginning.. sadly

I still preferred the early 2017 PSR better myself.

#19 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 09:54 AM

Yeah me too
That MM just needed a reset
To reset the upward bias

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 13 December 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#20 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 13 December 2020 - 01:20 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 03 December 2020 - 06:59 PM, said:

We've seen matches of seven cadets mixed in with T1 comp players, so I would say due to the lack of players the matchmaker is just saying "F it" after a few minutes and cobble together whatever it can to get a match going.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users