Would I Be Banned For Running Autohotkey (Keyboard Marcro Program) Allowed To Run Concurrently With Mwo Game Client?

9 replies to this topic

#1 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:18 AM

Before anyone asks, I *do*not* plan to use AutoHotKey for MWO playing.
Not now, not ever.
In fact, my MWO account now has a material investment in premium mechs, and I do not want to be banned!

Q: Would my MWO account be banned for running AutoHotKey (Keyboard Macro program) allowed to run concurrently with MWO game client in my Win10 computer?

I do have other stuff to do for my computer (it's not only for games!), and now seriously considering to trying/installing some sort of Win10 keyboard macro program that would work with my FireFox browser (and no, it's not for browser games either).

Thank you in advance!

Edited by w0qj, 28 January 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:38 AM

From the CoC:

Keybind macro software and hardware mechanisms are permitted for use as long as such mechanisms still require manual input to initiate and do not fully automate gameplay.

#3 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 January 2021 - 07:43 AM

Code of Conduct said:

USING MACRO SOFTWARE

Keybind macro software and hardware mechanisms are permitted for use as long as such mechanisms still require manual input to initiate and do not fully automate gameplay.

As long as you're doing it to perform a human capable function it's fine. Marcos can be essential due to hardware issues or personal (dis)abilities. Nobody is going to frown on you for using them in this manner. If you plan to use them to chain-fire gauss / circumvent ghost heat then you're a try-hard scrub and deserve every ounce of belittlement you receive.

There was a RAC-Macro bug a while back that required precision input that humans weren't capable of. PGI were kind enough to put out a warning that they would ban people for doing so when it was made public.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

the only macro i currently use lets me cycle vision modes with one button instead of two. i also have a bit of script to combine my toe breaks into a single axis for legs (my pedals are old and the rudder axis doesnt work too well anymore) and to turn my throttle's thumbstick into a 5th hat switch (which i implemented when they added stealth armor and i suddenly needed more controls, now it controls my ecm, stealth, ams, weapon doors, and eject on push button). im a filthy haxxor i know.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 January 2021 - 01:05 PM.

#5 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 05:51 PM

Hm, how do these work, need to macro Masc, and Advanced zoom. Id on't think have have both on any mech, but, have one or the other on a few...

#6 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

Wow, many thanks for everyone's very quick and helpful replies!

Please see below for MWO's GM Patience (Tech Support) reply by email, for everyone's information:

"USING MACRO SOFTWARE

http://mwomercs.com/conduct

If you are not going to use it for MWO, I do not see an issue."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Personally, I'm staying clear away from this: I'll always play MWO without any keyboard macro software.
(My motivation for this Forum Thread is to ensure that my MWO account would not be banned for running AutoHotKey (Keyboard Macro program) running concurrently with MWO game client in my Win10 computer.)

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

i have in the past made custom hardware to do weird things like auto cycling gauss. but it really just makes gauss terrible since you can only fire one at a time and you need at least 3 to have it run without lockout periods (this was before skill trees and you can hold a charge longer, meaning it would probably work on dual gauss builds now). by staggering the charge cycles you always have a gun thats ready to fire, and when you click it just zeros the button value until the cd has expired, firing the gun. you also get a huge dps hit because the cooldown lockout returns the gun to the pool and there is another delay for it to sync back up to the firing cycle. you would have to tune it precisely for each mech and even then you might lose some dps. firing for max alpha is always better with gauss rifles, so while the macro just hurts your scores.

calling it a mere macro is an understatement as it was written in c++ and compiled to machine code). the whole thing was build around an arduino pro micro (atmega 32u4) and presented itself to the computer as an hid keyboard. the trigger was a tactile button hot glued to my throttle with some jumper wires to the arduino.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 January 2021 - 10:51 AM.

#8 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:52 AM

A lot of people use some sort of keyboard automation just fine with a lot of games.

I don't see much use for actual gameplay but I had a setup to autofill "Set " into "Set your mouse sensitivity to 0.1 to become a good player" for a while.

#9 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:58 AM

I need a macro to type "gl;hf o7" at the start of every match.

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:01 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 28 January 2021 - 10:58 AM, said:

I need a macro to type "gl;hf o7" at the start of every match.

Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V works, (Use shift to highlight).

It's how I spam my trash talk at the start of every match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users