Skill-Less Mech Are Painful

8 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 12:50 PM

So...I finally burned through all my GSP/historical GSP from WAY back when the skill tree happened. I haven't played a mech without 91 nodes in AGES!! Bought 4 light heros today.

boy is it painful. How do people play without radar derp, especially in light mechs? Having base cooldowns on things is also very strange when you so used to things firing faster.

I've been too pampered with GSP for all these years.

#2 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 15 December 2020 - 01:00 PM

I anticipated this to happening to myself. First few games I would play without using any then if I enjoyed the feel I would use ~30 GXP/SP to accelerate the progression. Found that once I've fully skilled a mech I rarely go back to it.

HXP is a different matter, I burn through that as fast as I can. Bought duplicates of my favourite variants before the refund...

Edited by VonBruinwald, 15 December 2020 - 01:00 PM.

#3 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:05 PM

It's a bit gnarly dealing with heatsink starved Lights without even the heat gen nodes definitely.

#4 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:30 PM

Yep. The gap between 91 and not if vast. If it weren't so boring and frustratingly slow to get them I'd buy more mechs instead I just replay the ones I have. The least xp-ed one is at 50,000 with 91 nodes already spent. At least I can do 'fully optimized' builds if/when I change it on those mechs.

#5 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:59 PM

Surprisingly, I found a mech or two to work adequately without any nodes unlocked. Maybe just luck of the matches. The crab is a pretty good medium mech with favorable hitboxes.

#6 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:06 PM

+1.
But hopefully with that PSR Tier 5 for new players, it would be a friendlier environment for them to learn the MWO ropes.

I'm new around here, and perpetually leveling up unskilled mechs one by one.
It's fun near the end (with 50+ skill points invested into the 91-point skill tree), but then it ends very quickly because your mech does well by then.

And then I'm off to the next unskilled mech.
It feels more like perpetual trips to your dentist, rather than having leisurely fun.

View PostNo1Curr, on 15 December 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

Now - and bear with me here - now imagine a Cadet jumping in with an unskilled Trial, and imagine what that probably feels like especially with a lot of the current Trials.

Edited by w0qj, 15 December 2020 - 09:07 PM.

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:31 PM

I'll generally hold off getting a new mech unless I have 11-20 points available through c-bills and GXPJUST so I can start my mech with decent points in Operations unless it's a gauss mech.

What I'd suggest is save up 17-20 SP worth for operations or 40 SP total to start off a mech then get the rest going normally. I find that I'm usually OK when I have 20 points in firepower and 18 in ops and it's bearable. Anything before that is usually utter misery.

I actually stopped putting points in radar derp/sensors unless it's an ECM mech or I need Seismic.I can live without it if I'm careful enough, but I've been lurmed to death a couple of times when I didn't have good cover and was out of position.

Edited by Elizander, 15 December 2020 - 10:32 PM.

#8 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:40 PM

+1

a) I actually start every mech with 8 Skill Points all in operations (for Heat Containment) via GXP + C-Bills also!

b ) But the most painful part of the grind is from this point to until I get my Seismic Sensor + Radar Deprivation.

Mech is actually quite enjoyable to play after that... but obviously it's not sustainable to dump so many GSP into both (a)+(b ) right from the start. If only...

View PostElizander, on 15 December 2020 - 10:31 PM, said:

I'll generally hold off getting a new mech unless I have 11-20 points available through c-bills and GXPJUST so I can start my mech with decent points in Operations unless it's a gauss mech.

What I'd suggest is save up 17-20 SP worth for operations or 40 SP total to start off a mech then get the rest going normally. I find that I'm usually OK when I have 20 points in firepower and 18 in ops and it's bearable. Anything before that is usually utter misery.

I actually stopped putting points in radar derp/sensors unless it's an ECM mech or I need Seismic.I can live without it if I'm careful enough, but I've been lurmed to death a couple of times when I didn't have good cover and was out of position.

#9 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:04 PM

I only play skill less mechs its far too expensive to update.. 5mil plus to spec a mech and i have like 100 mechs if i skill even 5% its crazy expensive..

Terrible decision to add cbills to skills.

Edited by Samial, 15 December 2020 - 11:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users