Which Phoenix Variant (Circa 2013), And Why?

10 replies to this topic

#1 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 15 December 2020 - 11:23 PM

1. The "Special Variant" version of Phoenix Project mechs are finally on sale again for the first time since 2013, in the form of "IS Bundles". (+30% C-Bills bonus, and *probably* without the +10% Loyalty Bonus).
http://mwomercs.com/store/bundles

2. Here's a question for you MWO veterans...

Which Phoenix Variant (circa 2013) do you use, and why?
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H(S)
Griffin GRF-1N(S)
Wolverine WVR-6R(S)
Thunderbolt TDR-5S(S)
BattleMaster BLR-1G(S)
Locust LCT-1V(S)

3. Background info for everyone:
http://mwo.gamepedia...Project_Phoenix

Edited by w0qj, 15 December 2020 - 11:24 PM.

#2 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 December 2020 - 12:57 AM

(+30% C-Bills bonus, and *probably* without the +10% Loyalty Bonus).
And without the camo pattern. these default to Snowfall.

2. Here's a question for you MWO veterans...

Which Phoenix Variant (circa 2013) do you use, and why?
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H(S)
Griffin GRF-1N(S)
Wolverine WVR-6R(S)
Thunderbolt TDR-5S(S)
BattleMaster BLR-1G(S)
Locust LCT-1V(S)
Shadow Hawk 2H: 3xRAC2. Reasonably fun.
Battlemaster 1G: 5xERLL trading in FP. Which I'm still terrible at.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 02:37 AM

Look at what ScoutDerek can do with his WVR-7K; the 6R can do similar things.

https://youtu.be/UCjDU4c_88E

Brios cand do, too!

https://youtu.be/eUr9buwLe1A

#4 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:04 PM

I have the whole thing, from 2013.
I remember the Shadowhawk being pretty fun, although I haven't loaded it out since I returned(stopped for 2 years, just back now). As medium mechs go, it could do a few different things, I enjoyed making it sword and board and using twist to let them shoot my useless arm while weapons cooled down. I did a lot of super high heat longer range alpha loadouts on the Shawks, I know I did a triple AC2 one one of them too for a while. PANG PANG PANG PANG.... sounds more potent then it is but it was fun.

I still use the Battlemaster. 2 PPC and 4 ML. Sometimes when my PING is off the charts(prime time with rural DSL) I put 2 LPL on instead. Make sure to load it in the right order so the PPC are on "top" of the stack, this lets you peak over ridges because the PPC are actually higher then the cockpit, you can actually shoot people you can;t see on certain maps where they didn't botch the wall collision. 2 PPC, 4 ML with a STD 350 and the rest DHS/armor. Pretty agile, pretty quick for a big mech, and pretty tanky as the arms are just bonus armor.

I played the Tbolt a bit back in the day. Nowdays, not much. Seems like T bolts end up with mindless meta builds the few times I see them on the field. Not worth real money IMO, but I would pick it over the griffon or wolverine IMO.

I am surprised they are selling these again. Maybe the "pros" were complaining they couldn't get that pheonix kill badge on their alt accounts. I know when i run my Battlemaster during prime time the enemy team will sometimes go out of their way to chase me. Don;t see many (P) on the team lists lately. I like the (P) Battlemaster a lot more then the hero version, so it is a solid choice for C bill bonus if thats your thing.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:25 PM

When Shadowhawk first dropped I got my highest ever kdr in it - 33. Now it's meh, not even remotely agile enough. The other 'Mechs I don't even pilot, as the only innersphere 'Mechs I am partial to are the Roughneck and IV-Four, because of those monstah quirks.

#6 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:46 AM

Just got the 85ton BattleMaster BLR-1G(S)!

Amazing quirks for energy weapons Assault with some ballastics and some missiles.
+20% Range for Medium Lasers (basically turns them into ER-Medium Lasers, but less heat!)
-5% Medium Laser Heat
~For all other energy weapons +10% Range
+20% PPC velocity
+15% Ballistic Cooldown
+10% Ballistic Range

~Quite agile for 85ton IS Assault, especially when skilled-up for mobility!

#7 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:56 AM

The SHD-2H is reat for Solaris with 2LB10+3SRM2. For Quick Play I prefer the 2D2 so I probably wont bother with a 30% c-bill bonus for a mode that I usually dont play.

The 1G is a staple for competitive play and faction play. C-bill bonus isn't relevant for comp but if you play a lot of FP, its probably a good deal.

#8 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:59 AM

Since you play QP OP, I don't recommend any of them. There are free c-bill mechs that can do much better as to make the bonus not worthwhile, and you can get heros that perform well in QP + that cbill bonus.

#9 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:33 PM

View Postw0qj, on 18 December 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

Just got the 85ton BattleMaster BLR-1G(S)!

Amazing quirks for energy weapons Assault with some ballastics and some missiles.
+20% Range for Medium Lasers (basically turns them into ER-Medium Lasers, but less heat!)
-5% Medium Laser Heat
~For all other energy weapons +10% Range
+20% PPC velocity
+15% Ballistic Cooldown
+10% Ballistic Range

~Quite agile for 85ton IS Assault, especially when skilled-up for mobility!

NIce! Mine is one of my favorite assaults, for energy loadouts.

#10 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 08:40 PM

I thought I would add I skilled up and loaded out my Shawk(more then enough historic XP to get the 91) and dropped 3 Rac2's on it. First match I did almost 500 damage and then ran out of ammo lol. So I dropped some stuff off to make room and added more ammo. Had a 900+ dmg tonight.
The mech is a little sluggish compared to other mediums, but with this loadout you want to be back at like 600M anyway on higher ground or with some cover to partially hide your mech. I had good success using cover off on the fringe of my teams area unloading on the enemy trying to peak around at my teams main force. Not a good loadout to take on that ECM turbo-light, so don't stray to far from help.
Not tier one meta, but SHOOT BOOLETS is pretty lulz.

#11 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, those 3RAC2 mechs are absolutely amazing for farming damage at low tiers where enemies struggle to shoot back at you. Good for climbing out of T5 fast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users