Assaults Need To Assault, Others Need To Not Block

13 replies to this topic

#1 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:54 AM

Tired of seeing assaults hide in the drop zone for the first half of the match so I drop in my fafnir. I I assault like an assault mech should. When I'm overwhelmed by enemy fire I try to pull back into cover like I should only to be blocked by so-called friendlies standing behind me using me as a meat shield. Instead of bothering to admonish or try to correct their bad behavior I simply about face and conduct a flanking manuever by taking the long way around. We WILL lose the match horribly due to an assault who actually was willing to assault being out of the action for so long but you deserve no less for your so-called "team" play.

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:08 AM

Everyone needs to assault.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:52 AM

+1
That's also where volumetric scaling of mechs might come in handy!
Did you know that Jenners previously could fit under the 45 degree bridges just under the top platform in HPG Manifold?

Another pet peeve of mine: Assaults blocking a narrow path/bridge, and others awaiting to get through!
(OK, other mechs heavy/medium are guilty of this also)

Edited by w0qj, 19 December 2020 - 10:52 AM.

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:07 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 19 December 2020 - 10:13 AM, said:

Been there many times. However, I also experience the 'opposite'. Our assaults were hiding in the backlines, so I end up in the front line as a medium and when I need to back up and take cover I couldn't move. Turned around there is a ******* assault hinding behind my vapor eagle and it did NOT move a bit. The time it took to maneuver around the cowardly fat ****, I lost half my mech. I have encountered this more then once now that people basically breathe down your neck and don't bother to move although you are about to die.
Blocking in general has become a huge issue in the last 1.5 weeks for me.
I have more then once resorted to shooting my way out. If someone suddenly loses their side torso, or an arm they all of a sudden can move rather quickly.

That may be me... I've been getting sick of Vgulls running to the front and just standing there waiting for someone else to get a lock they can leach for a close range ATM salvo. If I'm in an assault by the time I get to the front I want to push or poke, not stand behind a Vgull who won't budge unless someone else locks the target.

I'd like to think myself fair though, if I see incoming fire I won't block and if I see you edging out to look for your own locks, I won't block. But if you're just standing there blocking a perfectly good-direct fire position from being used.

When you step forward, so do I...

#5 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:12 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 19 December 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

When you step forward, so do I...

At this point I'd want you to step backward when I do so you aren't blocking me from taking cover... but whatever...

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:05 PM

The game doesn't reward you for exploding first when you push with your 100 tonner.

• Absorb 900+ damage.
  • Deal 200-400 damage since you're getting shot by 5+ mechs.
  • Die
  • Get 100-200 match score while the event requires you to get higher match score.

Assaults should push, but you also cannot trust your rando teammates to push with you.

Edited by Elizander, 19 December 2020 - 02:08 PM.

#7 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:10 PM

Perhaps it's my withering British accent, but most people stop blocking me after I let our team know how stupid they are. It's absolutely frustrating though, don't stand behind your team mates. How bloody hard is that to understand?

#8 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:44 PM

Take fast mediums and run around . This game has turned into basically every other shooter on the market.

#9 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 02:52 PM

Assaults are the strongest weight class in the game by performance. If anyone feels they are weak, it's user error.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:37 PM

assaults need their space, and a lot of players like to get too close to them, usually to use them as meat shields. when the assault pilot recognizes the need to move, they dont have a lot of time to do it in. especially if you are soaking up lerms while some idiot who is standing way to close is blocking your movement.

View PostNightbird, on 19 December 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

Assaults are the strongest weight class in the game by performance. If anyone feels they are weak, it's user error.

its not that assaults are bad, its that they are a potato magnet. assaults require a lot more skill than a heavy. and potatoes think that its going to automagically make them better. its an attitude that results in a lot of fat squirrels.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 December 2020 - 03:42 PM.

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:40 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 19 December 2020 - 03:37 PM, said:

its not that assaults are bad, its that they are a potato magnet. assaults require a lot more skill than a heavy. and potatoes think that its going to automagically make them better. its an attitude that results in a lot of fat squirrels.

Even with potatos, they are still the highest performing class. Makes you think...

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 03:45 PM

View PostNightbird, on 19 December 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

Even with potatos, they are still the highest performing class. Makes you think...

they are my highest performers. but i am also pretty good with squirrels and can deprive my enemy of their "highest performers". i tell new players they should stick with heavies for awhile before moving into assaults. i think its good advice.

Edited by LordNothing, 19 December 2020 - 03:47 PM.

#13 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:42 PM

I agree and disagree.. Yes Assaults need to be in the thick of it.. but not at the cost of being wiped out. Mediums need to back up the assaults and heavies, lights need to scout (sometimes) but mostly need to protect their team mates from other lights..

Its really easy to walk off on your own without realizing it as an assault and heavy, and really easy to die then, be wary of your team mates and talk to each other, call names, call zones, don't just spam the "help me" button or people wont bother. People need to use mics in this to cooperate or you are screwed from the start.

That's pretty much the core Mechwarrior Online win.. scenario.

If you are off on your own chasing other mechs you are doing nothing for your team (any weight class).

Edited by Samial, 19 December 2020 - 04:49 PM.

#14 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 09:34 AM

Bad assaults need a match maker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users