#2 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:01 PM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 25 December 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

just sayin 2 bursts of MG Dont kill a Fafner

Cheating is rare... PGI's problems with having shots register properly is a bigger issue

#3 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:06 PM

It's sometimes latency too, I guess?

I have a 90 alpha brawling Scorch and Jagermechs aren't the toughest thing on the planet. I did 3 alphas dead center on one that was just walking backwards at under 150m then I died and it still had orange armor. That normally doesn't happen so I suspect my bullets just missed somehow. 99.9% of the time if it has blocky hitboxes and isn't a marauder it would have been blown to smithereens or opened up badly.

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:22 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 25 December 2020 - 06:01 PM, said:

Cheating is rare... PGI's problems with having shots register properly is a bigger issue

Games in maintenance mode
Whens the last time they checked that sort of thing?
Rare means it does happen

#5 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:29 PM

If it was a pir-1 and he shot you in the back it’s possible.... no mech lasts more than a few seconds if one of those guys gets your back.

Also, if you had ammo CT (or ST if for some reason you are running an XL) even a brief tap in the back will often cause an ammo explosion that will end you.

#6 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:34 PM

Heavy Gauss can crit your engine right away if you're unlucky enough.

#7 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:34 PM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 25 December 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

just sayin 2 bursts of MG Dont kill a Fafner

just sayin most of the time people claim stuff like this without video evidence its bs, there are a lot of legit things that can happen in game that can lead to an assault dying instantly

and yes, then there is also pgi "magic" when shots to front register to back, etc

#8 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 07:55 PM

Did you correctly apply the pilot modifier? A good pilot can take 20 bursts, a decent pilot 10 bursts, etc...

#9 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 08:02 PM

Weird things can happen with this game. You can shoot someone with a Gauss Rifle or an Autocannon and it will damage internal structure without even damaging the armor. Shoot, you can shoot someone in their front torso and it can bypass the front armor and internals, and damage their rear armor. I've done it to others, and had it happen to me. I've seen it happen and had it happen with mechs that had no damage whatsoever. Been in a fresh mech and was hit by Gauss Rifles in the front many a time only to have it take out my rear armor and damage internal structure, and done it to other people a few times.

#10 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,481 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 25 December 2020 - 11:38 PM

I've read (an old) posting on this same MWO Forum, that mechs have antennae which are typically part of the "back armor".

So if you shoot someone from the front, and it happens to hit the antenna (it's very difficult to do so purposely), then you inflict back armor damage by shooting from the front!

View PostGen Lee, on 25 December 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

...You can shoot someone with a Gauss Rifle or an Autocannon ...in their front torso and it can bypass the front armor and internals, and damage their rear armor. I've done it to others, and had it happen to me. ...

#11 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:22 AM

View PostGen Lee, on 25 December 2020 - 08:02 PM, said:

Weird things can happen with this game. You can shoot someone with a Gauss Rifle or an Autocannon and it will damage internal structure without even damaging the armor. Shoot, you can shoot someone in their front torso and it can bypass the front armor and internals, and damage their rear armor. I've done it to others, and had it happen to me. I've seen it happen and had it happen with mechs that had no damage whatsoever. Been in a fresh mech and was hit by Gauss Rifles in the front many a time only to have it take out my rear armor and damage internal structure, and done it to other people a few times.

Lots of mechs have hitboxes for front or rear that extends on to the opposite face of the torso, as well as bits of "side" that are considered CT and vice versa. There's an old thread that details them. Example, the IS Hunchback, the back of the "hunch" is considered front torso still.

Some of it is probably error, some deliberate game making choice.

You can test it easily enough by loading up a mech with something like a small pulse, and testing the mechs in the trial grounds, or making a private lobby with someone.

Edited by crazytimes, 26 December 2020 - 12:23 AM.

#12 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:15 AM

Hit box locations

https://mwomercs.com...x-localization/

#13 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 December 2020 - 04:18 PM

Yes in one match yesterday my mech got cored in a second, pristine mech dead in the core.. in 1 second.. Its the holidays so the population gets larger and so does the "w1nn1ng mods"..

Its not new, it happens every year, its an old game so hacking isn't hard. That said luckily the games population is still small so most hack tards don't play Mechwarrior.

It was one match and i moved on, luckily i never saw it again.

Edited by Samial, 27 December 2020 - 04:21 PM.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 11:20 AM

ive seen situations where shots would register on the back armor rather than the front, but that usually happens with ppcs, at least it did in all the instances of me seeing it. some of the larger assaults, like the king crab, you can hit the rear boxes from the front given a height advantage. something i frequently use in game. if my guns have line of sight of a weak point im using it. i can see that happen with the faf as well. and sometimes rngesus is an evil *******.

there are several situations in both collision detection and net code where this behavior can be found. there are a lot of edge cases in collision detection code that if not handled correctly can lead to both false positives and false negatives. clipping close enough to the edge of a hit box for example can land in the epsilon value used for morethan/lessthan operations using floating point numbers. epsilon is kind of a fudge factor to account for known errors in such operations. they could be incorrectly sized or just not used in some cases.

throw netcode into the mix and those things can be made even worse. especially if you drop precision for network transmission. and you can always get situations where you see your shot hit ct, but the server sees the shot slip between an enemy torso and arm. and if that player was starting to twist at the same time, could land those shots on the rear hitboxes. these systems are complex and a lot of things can go wrong, and without full time developers to fix bugs in these systems, we get the sort of glitches we see in game. you also dont get the same tug of war between developers and cheaters you normally see in these sorts of games. its easier to ban the players than fix the exploits.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 December 2020 - 11:22 AM.

#15 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:54 PM

Video or it never happened

#16 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:33 AM

The only 'shady' stuff I have experienced are 'too accurate' gauss rifle mechs. Zipping around in my 165kph locust dodging around on uneven terrain never going in a straight line for more than a second or two and a gauss boat will cleanly nail my ct from half the map. Never a leg or arm or side torso hit always a clean ct hit. Ballistics lasers missiles etc never do that only gauss.

#17 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:43 AM

ok i don't like to complain a lot, and i didnt mention the player cause i know squirrely things happen all the time

i don't really think it was cheating, more of some code issue, that pops up every so often, like getting hit in the front
but losing back armour and vice versa, internal damage from MGs when you have full armour.

with all that i think they did a lot of good with this game its just at some point they seemed to have abandoned it.

i was just having a bad day

but i do wish there was a little more effort put into this game i know it's old but its still worth it, even with these magic
on and off problems.

I still think its about the best pick up team game out there, for casual players, best community, very few incidents of
real cheating

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

View PostXmith, on 28 December 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

Video or it never happened

should point out anything the client sees is irrelevant. the only pov that matters is the server's.

#19 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:06 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 29 December 2020 - 07:33 AM, said:

The only 'shady' stuff I have experienced are 'too accurate' gauss rifle mechs. Zipping around in my 165kph locust dodging around on uneven terrain never going in a straight line for more than a second or two and a gauss boat will cleanly nail my ct from half the map. Never a leg or arm or side torso hit always a clean ct hit. Ballistics lasers missiles etc never do that only gauss.

To be fair, I've done that several times with dual HGauss to lights at about 700m... They always think it's cheating, but it's really just getting very good with the weapons and chassis. Side torso is more common though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users