Why Nobody Plays Solaris

76 replies to this topic

#1 Botaine

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUSA EVERYDAY

Posted 27 December 2020 - 09:21 PM

Solaris doesn't have enough players to split everyone into 7 different divisions. Just combine them and maybe people would play the mode. Also a 2 minute wait time is too long. Speed the whole process up somehow, such as just start the match immediately when enough players are found. This should be done for 2v2 also, just match me with some players, I don't care who. You spend more time getting a match started, waiting for the timer and watching the startup sequence than you do actually playing (even when people ARE playing).

A similar issue exists for faction play. It takes too much time to get a match started and there are too many choices to make before the match starts. We just need a button to start the match, like quick play. I suppose you could go through the trouble of choosing where to fight if you wanted and finding a group, but I think most players would appreciate a big button to start immediately.

The Solaris UI needs some work. I like the stylization of it all but it isn't clear what anything does. For example I just found out today that to change divisions you click on a different mech at the bottom of the screen. I don't think there was a tutorial to explain everything, and nowhere does it say what this list of mechs is at the bottom (I thought maybe it was a favorites list). I also didn't realize at first how divisions work, and how each mech is only allowed in one division. Simplify the whole process and just do everything in one division. If you really want to divide people up, divide it by 4 weight classes.

Edited by Lehv, 28 December 2020 - 03:56 PM.

#2 MechWarrior5782621

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:31 PM

It's a moot point now that they're abandoning Solaris, but they could've reduced the wait times by combining queues, and by randomizing the map selection instead of having a map ban. Oh well, live & learn.

#3 Seth Kalasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 573 posts
  • LocationVirgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Terra

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:24 PM

1. Too many divisions
2. I think a lot of people expected MW4-like Solaris.

#4 Botaine

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUSA EVERYDAY

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:34 PM

They should just do a 1v1 quickplay without all the ranks and divisions BS. Letting you use a drop deck of 4 mechs like you do in faction play would make matches longer so your play time to match setup time ratio is better. Having a drop deck consisting of both IS and Clan mechs at the same time would be fine.

Edited by Lehv, 29 December 2020 - 05:39 PM.

#5 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:34 AM

For Solaris make it a 24 or 12 or 8 or 4 man free for all

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 30 December 2020 - 05:35 AM.

#6 Sly1Shot

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:06 AM

If not solaris 1v1, then at least more modes.
I'm on a break while I wait for more options than a 24 man fight. Some small skirmishes would be far more enjoyable (for me).

#7 Botaine

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUSA EVERYDAY

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, more modes of any kind is good really. They just need to make it easy to get a match going and stay in the action without excess menus, loading screens and wait times. Just click a mode you want and matchmaking starts immediately. You are in the game 20-30 seconds later. Other modes need to keep pace with this. Most FPS games today are like this. I don't think anyone cares about a galaxy map or divisions. It just slows down matchmaking by splitting people up too much.

#8 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:47 PM

View PostLehv, on 27 December 2020 - 09:21 PM, said:

Solaris doesn't have enough players to split everyone into 7 different divisions. Just combine them and maybe people would play the mode.

That isn't why I don't play... I don't play because it's either run the exactly perfect meta for the mode and division, or you have a 0% chance of winning versus someone who is. (and you're always going to be pitted against them)

Also, the only people playing Solaris 7 anymore are the people that run those mechs and builds exclusively, and are all too happy to grief-kill anyone they get matched with.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 30 December 2020 - 08:49 PM.

#9 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:35 AM

View PostSly1Shot, on 30 December 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

If not solaris 1v1, then at least more modes.
I'm on a break while I wait for more options than a 24 man fight. Some small skirmishes would be far more enjoyable (for me).

Thats why I liked scouting queue

#10 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:33 AM

Needs an option to search any and all divisions at once.
Needs a casual mode and you should be able to search both ranked and casual at the same time.
Needs point system change so you can't go 30-1 or even just 3-1 against a lower rank player and lose points.
Players that have large point differences should only play each other if both searched for casual.

#11 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:48 PM

View Postdario03, on 31 December 2020 - 08:33 AM, said:

Needs point system change so you can't go 30-1 or even just 3-1 against a lower rank player and lose points.

I honestly don't see how this one is a problem. If your elo is so much higher that you would be expected to win five out of six matches, but you lose one in three, or two of six it would make sense that your elo ranking and the elo ranking of the less skilled player would end up closer together after your matches.

#12 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

• Too many buckets
  • Events need to be done on a "per division" basis to channel players into a single division.
    • Week 1 - Play 25 games in Div 1
    • Week 2 - Play 25 games in Div 2
    • Week 3 - Play 25 games in Div 3
    • Week 4 - Play 25 games in Div 4
    • etc.
      Not "Play 5 games in each division"!

#13 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

View PostBrauer, on 31 December 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

I honestly don't see how this one is a problem. If your elo is so much higher that you would be expected to win five out of six matches, but you lose one in three, or two of six it would make sense that your elo ranking and the elo ranking of the less skilled player would end up closer together after your matches.

Issue is it encourages players to dodge others or just not play when they get to a high rank. The risk to reward is high and players want to keep a good rank. 3-1 wouldn't be a huge deal but the current system is like 30-1, so you could lose a match to somebody of low rank for whatever reason and then need to win 30 straight matches to gain the points back. Even worse is if the loss was due to disconnect or backreg or something like that.

#14 GeorgePig

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:23 AM

Simple answer is, nobody plays S7, because the vast majority never wanted it and never intend to play it. Go back through the PGI posts and even they admit it is the least supported element of MWO and are likely to stop its development or even continuation.

The thinking man's MWO is and always was CW/FW where you had to play as a team to have a chance of winning.

#15 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

I honestly find it boring.. the items are too hard to grind for and are mostly useless, the wait times are horrendous. Sadly this took a huge amount of time and assets away from the more needed aspects of MWO.

If it awarded mech bays or mechs people would line up to play it.. even mech parts.

Edited by Samial, 01 January 2021 - 06:49 PM.

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:16 PM

love Big teambased Battles and hate claustophobic Arena Fights in each Way ...hate the Arenas in MW4 and the Gulag in CoD Warzone,and Boss Battles in many Games .

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 03 January 2021 - 09:16 PM.

#17 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:05 PM

Using Solaris for Clan trial of posession would be awesome !

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

Totally should add Solaris maps to soup queue

#19 Kazgruta

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 03:51 AM

I would play more of solaris if it didnt feel so unfair, facing players that are way better then i am.
I feel solaris needs to get rid of divisions and have a tier system like QP does. So that newer/less skilled players can fight each other and climb the ladder as they improve.

#20 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 12:50 AM

View PostKazgruta, on 04 February 2021 - 03:51 AM, said:

I would play more of solaris if it didnt feel so unfair, facing players that are way better then i am.
I feel solaris needs to get rid of divisions and have a tier system like QP does. So that newer/less skilled players can fight each other and climb the ladder as they improve.

Well, in theory it has. It's just that it has no hard caps when it tries to match players queuing in a division. If there were more players looking for a match, the S7 matchmaker would put the better ones against each other and so on. But with 7 buckets, there are just too few players available. The mode seems to have been designed with a much higher player activity in mind, which, well, didn't turn out to happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users