#21 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:19 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 27 January 2021 - 05:38 PM, said:

Ok.... From what i've seen they've done nothing at least compared to FASA.. Serious all their books are just rehashed FASA stuff.

I don't see how this is the case. The Age of War stuff is a rehash? The Wars of Reaving? The Republic of the Sphere was never a FASA thing. I want limits to how much the universe can actually change least it permanently damages the I.P. and its aesthetic.

Look at Jihad, that was post-FASA debacle that was incompatible with the flavor of the universe. Only a series of heavy retcons and additional content have manage to salvage the extremely poor initial idea. Similar useful retcons also involve getting rid of the Dark Age as some sort of agro-mech game. Those were both post-FASA, pre-CGL.

Edited by Spheroid, 19 May 2021 - 10:57 AM.

#22 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:21 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 19 May 2021 - 09:19 AM, said:

I don't see how this is the case. The Age of War stuff is a rehash? The Wars of Reaving? The Republic of the Sphere was never a FASA thing. I want limits to how much the universe can actually change least it permanently damages the I.P. and its aesthetic.

Unfortunately this became a trend back in the '80s.

BT had the 4th Succession War, Clans, etc., etc., etc.

Greyahwk had the Greyhawk Wars that were in part due to shoving the world designer and creator of D&D out of his own company. Luckily not much was changed since but TSR then WotC pushed Greyhawk aside.

Forgotten Realms like BT had so much **** done to it they also pushed the world creator aside and angered a lot of people as if angering people over Greyhawk Wars was not enough.

Simplified point, for some reason in the late '80s and early '90s a trend started in popular games that you had to have massive large scale WW3 type **** happen to keep interest and justify new products only this alienated people in many ways.

If you don't like change, you had to play your own house version of your favorite world with gamer friends who agreed with you.

I do wonder if what happened with Greyhawk and Realms was similar to BT though FASA never admitted to it.

Edited by Wildstreak, 19 May 2021 - 06:22 PM.

#23 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 02:04 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 19 May 2021 - 06:21 PM, said:

Simplified point, for some reason in the late '80s and early '90s a trend started in popular games that you had to have massive large scale WW3 type **** happen to keep interest and justify new products only this alienated people in many ways.

You can milk the original BattleTech idea "MechWarriors = knights" only for so long.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users