28 replies to this topic

#21 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:20 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 January 2021 - 04:03 PM, said:

the heat is the tradeoff for not having to lug around ams ammo. but its too damn high.

For Faction I'm using Corsair with 4 LAMS, 2 Gausses, 2 ERSMLAS. Basically support build, running around where the missiles fly. Shoot some Gausses, covering the team against Lurmers. Sometimes going about 1500 missiles destroyed in a match. It looks like some Star Wars when missiles are going down and LAMS's are firing and heat bar going up like crazy. Most of the time I don't have to switch off LAM's, but have a button close and ready. Some big salvos which covering the sky can overheat me. For QP imo standard AMS almost always better (for most of the builds), because often it's harder to control the heat in chaotic and quick pace QP. And with half ton of ammo you need only 1 ton for it. Did some tests at training, when somebody was shooting arm in my Atlas, and that arm was with AMS ammo for tests. Looks like AMS ammo don't explode, but still not sure. It probably explode only when there is other ammo in given component.

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 04:24 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 10 January 2021 - 04:20 AM, said:

For Faction I'm using Corsair with 4 LAMS, 2 Gausses, 2 ERSMLAS. Basically support build, running around where the missiles fly. Shoot some Gausses, covering the team against Lurmers. Sometimes going about 1500 missiles destroyed in a match. It looks like some Star Wars when missiles are going down and LAMS's are firing and heat bar going up like crazy. Most of the time I don't have to switch off LAM's, but have a button close and ready. Some big salvos which covering the sky can overheat me. For QP imo standard AMS almost always better (for most of the builds), because often it's harder to control the heat in chaotic and quick pace QP. And with half ton of ammo you need only 1 ton for it. Did some tests at training, when somebody was shooting arm in my Atlas, and that arm was with AMS ammo for tests. Looks like AMS ammo don't explode, but still not sure. It probably explode only when there is other ammo in given component.

im gonna have to give that build a shot.

#23 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:37 AM

View PostJIKOSU, on 08 January 2021 - 11:08 AM, said:

I am currently needing an ams on all mechs

I only use AMS on Mechs that can Dual them.

#24 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:47 AM

LAMS heat would be fine if MWO Heat Mechanics allowed Mechs to keep dissipating heat while something is generating it.

#25 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:41 AM

View PostVlad Ward, on 13 January 2021 - 11:47 AM, said:

LAMS heat would be fine if MWO Heat Mechanics allowed Mechs to keep dissipating heat while something is generating it.

That's exactly what the game does. It's just that the heat generation usually happens way faster than the dissipation.

#26 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 January 2021 - 03:44 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 January 2021 - 04:03 PM, said:

the heat is the tradeoff for not having to lug around ams ammo. but its too damn high.

The IS LAMS weighs the same as an IS AMS + 1 ton ammo and I have yet to run out of 1 ton AMS ammo. In terms of regular QP games, there's no reason to bring one other than getting red pewpew instead of orange pewpew. Posted Image

Edited by Elizander, 15 January 2021 - 03:45 AM.

#27 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 04:03 AM

Both mechs are bad, so I refuse to spend any extra CBills on them. This is what I run on the Fireball, which is surprisingly more effective than you would think.
https://mech.nav-alp...d825068b_PXH-1K

I stripped the R60L the moment it arrived, and I never touched it. It's just a museum piece

#28 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:24 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 January 2021 - 03:41 AM, said:

That's exactly what the game does. It's just that the heat generation usually happens way faster than the dissipation.

Did they change this? Or can you point me to some testing that confirms or suggests this?

Honest question. Back in CB the testing I remember suggested that heat dissipation completely paused whenever weapons were firing.

#29 Faithsfall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 363 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 January 2021 - 09:04 AM

while both mechs aren't the best both can perform well.

I run the urbie snowball with 4 med pulse and 2 heavy MG's and 2 JJ's it is fun to play as long as you stick in the group and is quite tanky. 10 matches with this mech has resulted in a kdr of 2.67

The Phoenix Hawk is more difficult but i run that with 8 ER med lasers, just when you fire make sure that you fire them in a 4/4 split. With a 300 LE and 5 double heatsinks 2 engine 3 body you can manage 108kph and can fire several times before you need to back off and cool down a bit before reengaging. 8 matches in this has resulted in a kdr of 1.25 so not as good as the urbie but seems to hold it's own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users