another copy and paste-

Nah, this build seems pretty unique.

#42 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:20 PM

The problem is that the game moves too fast for a 2x PPC build in most cases. You see it all the time, the entire enemy team is dead except for one guy hiding and sniping with PPCs or ER LLs. DPS is very relevant, the other players in the match are not going to sit arond and wait for you to rack up a high score with low DPS weapons.

Most combat takes place at 400m or less, especially when you take into account the most popular maps are stuff like hpg manifold and mining collective which offer plenty of cover to get close.

They really only shine on maps like polar or arctic where theres limited cover and you have people just spending the entire match sniping from 800+m.

#43 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 13 January 2021 - 06:20 PM, said:

The problem is that the game moves too fast for a 2x PPC build in most cases.
-snip-

Double Clan ERPPC builds are viable, fantastic even, but they require mechs with particular traits (see my post on the front page). A Viper won't make the cut, but something like a Nova, Huntsman, etc. is very good for it.

#44 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:25 PM

>Double Clan ERPPC builds are viable

Not in the usual QP matches on hpg manifold/mining collective unless you happen to get the perfect matchup once in a blue moon.

I roll my eyes everytime i see the last mech being some ER PPC poptart build (usually with ECM) hiding on the walls of hpg manifold and dragging the game on pointlessly while theres 6+ mechs gunning for him. And inevitably, they always have mediocre damage at the end.

Ive spectated these guys several times, they simply cannot do enough DPS to take down enemy mechs fast enough to impact the battle, especailly if they are moving and trying to dodge at the same time.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 13 January 2021 - 07:29 PM.

#45 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:59 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 13 January 2021 - 07:25 PM, said:

>Double Clan ERPPC builds are viable

Not in the usual QP matches on hpg manifold/mining collective unless you happen to get the perfect matchup once in a blue moon.

I roll my eyes everytime i see the last mech being some ER PPC poptart build (usually with ECM) hiding on the walls of hpg manifold and dragging the game on pointlessly while theres 6+ mechs gunning for him. And inevitably, they always have mediocre damage at the end.

Ive spectated these guys several times, they simply cannot do enough DPS to take down enemy mechs fast enough to impact the battle, especailly if they are moving and trying to dodge at the same time.

None of the mechs I mentioned as being good ERPPC mechs have ECM capability. For HPG wall hiders you're probably thinking of Shadow Cats, which are actually not good ERPPC carriers specifically because they can't handle the heat.

Mechs that do have enough pod space to cram in lots of DHS, or mechs that at least have large innate heat quirks, can keep shooting about as often as a non-PPC mech at least. The Summoner in particular can keep going for quite a while. In the skill tree you also need to max out both heat gen and cool run.

#46 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:02 AM

Being good at a dual PPC mech requires the player to be super active and shoot whenever possible and not miss half their shots. It takes far too much energy for me to enjoy it as it feels like I'm dripping 20-30 damage at a time for a lot of movement, aiming and heat management.

To do 500 damage you'd need to hit 16-17 times and an average player might have 50% accuracy with PPCs meaning you'd need to shoot 32-35 times. Now factor in cooling down time on a mech that doesn't have enough cooling and moving to get firing angles you can see that you're going to need a lot of time and effort to rack up that damage. It takes a lot of awareness to use your cooling down time to move and reposition and you'd need to know where to go so you're not wasting more time than necessary.

I'd much rather alpha 6-8 times on my Scorch at 300m and get the same result in a 30-40 second battle.

Edited by Elizander, 15 January 2021 - 02:06 AM.

#47 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:20 AM

Not only are dual PPC mechs viable, they are deadly.

I play a 96 Kp/h 2xErPPC 2xSRM6 Vapor Eagle with JJs and its one of my deadlier mechs. The key is to play it as a close support mech, to be engaged in battle constantly and actually aim for components and let splash damage and SRMs do the rest. Be on the lookout for stragglers an weak mechs and go in for the kill.

PPCs are viable, but if you expect to play from a sniping position on a wall somewhere you'll have a bad time. You can do it towards the start of the round for a few seconds but then move in.

Because of the medium/close range engagement the accuracy is more to the effect of 75-80% if you avoid snapshots.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 17 January 2021 - 06:49 AM.

#48 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:05 PM

Dual PPC sniping has never been good for anything other than funsies especially on Lights or Mediums. I only consider it for Panthers and Vindicators due to quirks.

They are no better on big Mechs, sure you can do a 4PPC Awesome-8Q or Warhawk but not Alpha. Those days died when they desynced PPCs from AC5s (though Snubs would have a nice combo if they were not seen as bad) and it is not common to find a Assault or large weight Heavy that could run those combos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users