Rocket Launchers Have Minimum Range?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

Not that this is a huge deal but I have to ask: Why on Earth? They are literally a one-shot SRM launcher, why would they have a minimum range and who thought that was necessary?

#2 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

Blame all those suicide javelins running right behind Assault mechs and one-shotting them for that one.

#3 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Wish they would have put it under the weapons description in the mechlab like PPC's. Tried to use them in a match only to wonder what happened and why I did no damage till I later read about it on the forums.

#4 Foxfire kadrpg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

well THIS would have been nice to have known~!

User INTERFACE, PGI!

#5 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

Crybabies cried so pgi put the min range in.

Now these people don't need to be so worried that they might actually have to invest in seismic or look at the mini map so much.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

meh it was a forgone conclusion where we were going from the first time i pointed my rl archer in front of an assault and pulled the trigger on the pts. many threads predicted this and tried to get pgi to change them to a short lived super dps weapon rather than a instant damage one.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 July 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#7 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostFoxfire kadrpg, on 23 July 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

well THIS would have been nice to have known~!

User INTERFACE, PGI!

IIRC doesn't the damage chart you get when you get the tooltip show 0 damage right at the closest range?

#8 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostAthom83, on 23 July 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

IIRC doesn't the damage chart you get when you get the tooltip show 0 damage right at the closest range?

So whats the actual distance then?
Note: PPC say 90 meter minimum in tooltip so this important info is missing for rockets!

*I would've put a side by side comparison image up but this forum can't handle it without 3rd party hosting lol

Edited by Max Rickson, 23 July 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#9 Commodore Perspicuous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostMax Rickson, on 23 July 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

So whats the actual distance then? Note: PPC say 90 meter minimum in tooltip so this important info is missing for rockets! *I would've put a side by side comparison image up but this forum can't handle it without 3rd party hosting lol

50 meters.

#10 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostMax Rickson, on 23 July 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

So whats the actual distance then?
Note: PPC say 90 meter minimum in tooltip so this important info is missing for rockets!

*I would've put a side by side comparison image up but this forum can't handle it without 3rd party hosting lol

Minimum range on a rocket launcher is 50m.

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

id rather have 20 rapid fire, fast, no spread, ppfld rockets at 3x the damage than what they currently are. no reloads and they are all the same except the number of tubes in the launcher. just like the dumbfire launchers you find on a modern attack helicopter. those dont fire all their rockets in one shot.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 July 2017 - 07:45 PM.

#12 ingramli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

The velocity of RLs are as slow as SRM, make them only good to shoot at CQC range, and the min range 50M literally make this weapon a junk, at least i will not even bother to buy one under the current parameter.

#13 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:05 AM

View PostCommodore Perspicuous, on 23 July 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

50 meters.

I'd just like to add here that in Testing Grounds, RL light up at 50m, but bounce off up to 55+m randomly. The real minimum range based on Training Grounds test is around 60m.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was only able to consistently kill the Atlas with no bouncing at around 60m. In a game with moving targets, I probably wouldn't want to shoot them under 80-90m. Posted Image

I was also asking what the minimum range for Rocket Launchers were in chat for several games and no one knew the answer.

#14 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 08 January 2021 - 09:26 AM

View PostComposite Armour, on 23 July 2017 - 01:38 PM, said:

Blame all those suicide javelins running right behind Assault mechs and one-shotting them for that one.

Meanwhile a Piranha dumps can dump a 60pt alpha in someone's back, and if he doesn't score the kill come back and try again later.

#15 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:59 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 08 January 2021 - 09:26 AM, said:

Meanwhile a Piranha dumps can dump a 60pt alpha in someone's back, and if he doesn't score the kill come back and try again later.

6 RCT20 is 240 points of damage. Your point is?

The minimum range is PGI's lazy solution to their programming problem which takes far more effort to solve. Missiles projectiles spawn at a single point and THEN spread out. So if you face hug an enemy and unload 6 RCT20s, that's 240 pinpoint damage. Which allows you to one-shot an Atlas from the front. The 50m is to allow the missiles to spread out.

If a Piranha manages to flank into my rear and unloads into my back without me or the entire team noticing, that's the Light mech pilot's skill. Bum rushing into your face and one-shotting you with no way to stop it is all together a different matter.

#16 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:44 AM

240 is barely enough to stay in t3. so rocket mechs are the best mechs for dropping tier.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 January 2021 - 05:46 AM.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:52 AM

View PostElizander, on 08 January 2021 - 09:05 AM, said:

I'd just like to add here that in Testing Grounds, RL light up at 50m, but bounce off up to 55+m randomly. The real minimum range based on Training Grounds test is around 60m.

-snip-

I was only able to consistently kill the Atlas with no bouncing at around 60m. In a game with moving targets, I probably wouldn't want to shoot them under 80-90m. Posted Image

I was also asking what the minimum range for Rocket Launchers were in chat for several games and no one knew the answer.

it actually varies from mech to mech. since the rockets range is based on where they spawn, which is based on hardpoint locations. sensors i think measure range based on center mass. lets say your sensors read 50m (center to center), but your hardpoints jut out 2 or 3 meters in front of that center. then the enemy mech's hitboxes juts out too, so the actual distance is significantly < 50. it works the other way too if your mech has its launcher behind the center, something to be aware of.

also its impolite to wake the dead.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 January 2021 - 05:56 AM.

#18 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:52 AM

View PostElizander, on 08 January 2021 - 09:05 AM, said:

There is also some variety trough geometry affecting distance.

Target info is based on distance from the center of the atlas model. Weapons determine their range based on the outer surface of the target they hit. The fat beer gut of a big chonky assault mech can be significantly closer to you than the targeting range to that mech.

#19 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:33 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 January 2021 - 05:44 AM, said:

240 is barely enough to stay in t3. so rocket mechs are the best mechs for dropping tier.

Good point and makes for an entertaining exchange when a T1 gets taken out by a T5.

#20 CidemRaw

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

I wish theyd revert the changes so i can run a 8 RL20 Frenzy, realistically though as theyve been since, the spread is so insanely bad that its never worth the tonnage unless you absolutely need nothing else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users