Just Checking On The State Of The Game...are They Ever Going To Add Any More New Mechs?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

I haven't really played since they quit dropping new mech packs and it seems they still aren't adding new mechs (or really any new content) and the reason why is that I realized most of the fun I got out of the game was centered around the new mechs. Each time they came out, I could spend hours building them out, testing the build, tweaking the build and fine tuning everything and that really engaged me and motivated me to play. Since no new mechs have been release in so long, I just haven't felt like returning.

That being the case, does anyone know if PG is planning on releasing new mechs again or is this pretty much it?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

Very unlikely.

IMO I'd prefer more guns/equipment because that would spruce up all mechs capable of mounting them. New robots have a higher chance of being redundant than new guns.

#3 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

In theory, yes. In practice, we'll see.

MWO got a bit of a revival with the EG7 buyout and the success of MW5. The December Town Hall talked about new development and new Mechs in 2021, with the caveat that resources will be limited. We'll see how that shakes out

#4 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:50 PM

Maybe NEXT YEAR Posted Image

#5 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:51 PM

Nope. don't expect anything untill the new owner takes over and even then we'll be lucky if all they do is leave mwo as-is and online. Russ and Co certainly did nothing with mwo except run it very badly.

#6 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

View PostThreeStooges, on 12 January 2021 - 04:51 PM, said:

Nope. don't expect anything untill the new owner takes over and even then we'll be lucky if all they do is leave mwo as-is and online. Russ and Co certainly did nothing with mwo except run it very badly.

Eh. I'd say they did a solid job with what they had.

Probably their biggest mistake in hindsight was incorporating too much community feedback on the design process. I know that's going to sound ridiculous to folks, but don't forget that this community is hardly a monolith. Just because they didn't listen to XYZ that one time didn't mean they weren't listening to someone.

Not only is gathering community feedback tedious and emotionally exhausting (particularly when that community is comprised of gamers), but it's hard to realize a cohesive vision for the game when you're sharing custody of every feature and update.

In all honesty I think they've adopted the only viable approach left to them for 2021. Set aside a finite level of bandwidth and resources and just let the community decide what they want to get built. The community may not know boo about game design, but it's better than developing a product/mode/map for six months only to immediately turn it off because people blasted them on twitter again.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 12 January 2021 - 06:02 PM.

#7 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,789 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:57 PM

View PostAngel of Annihilation, on 12 January 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

I haven't really played since they quit dropping new mech packs and it seems they still aren't adding new mechs (or really any new content) and the reason why is that I realized most of the fun I got out of the game was centered around the new mechs. Each time they came out, I could spend hours building them out, testing the build, tweaking the build and fine tuning everything and that really engaged me and motivated me to play. Since no new mechs have been release in so long, I just haven't felt like returning.

That being the case, does anyone know if PG is planning on releasing new mechs again or is this pretty much it?

A few weeks ago PGI hinted that they might add one new 'Mech in 2021. Maybe.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:28 AM

any source of novelty would be welcome. id even be happy with longtom everywhere at this point.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 January 2021 - 06:28 AM.

#9 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:53 AM

View PostFupDup, on 12 January 2021 - 02:07 PM, said:

Very unlikely.

IMO I'd prefer more guns/equipment because that would spruce up all mechs capable of mounting them. New robots have a higher chance of being redundant than new guns.

There isn't much more tech that could be added that would introduce something new to the game, what is left comes down to effectively stat changes of existing weapons. We're at the point where another tech jump at least for weapons would simply make existing stuff redunant or add new stuff that is redunant out of the box.

#10 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:16 AM

View PostBasmati Rice, on 13 January 2021 - 06:53 AM, said:

There isn't much more tech that could be added that would introduce something new to the game, what is left comes down to effectively stat changes of existing weapons. We're at the point where another tech jump at least for weapons would simply make existing stuff redunant or add new stuff that is redunant out of the box.

Only weapons really worth adding at this time:
  • Blazers - A way to boost large laser alphas at the expense of heat.
  • LAC2/5 - Ballistic options for IS mediums/ Lights
  • MML's - IS ATMs
  • HAG/s - Clan MRMs with gauss charge.
  • Plasma Rifle/Cannon - Medium range front loaded flamers (Clan +heat / IS +Dmg)
  • Magshop/AP Gauss - PPFLD option for lights (Note: AP Gauss potentially game breaking with Piranah+Macro)
Personally, I'd rather they fixed what we had before throwing more tar on the fire. IS-XLs, SnPPCs, Clan (Std.) ACs.

#11 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:29 AM

Blazers - A way to boost large laser alphas at the expense of heat.

Usefulness depends entirely on how closely they follow TT stats.

LAC2/5 - Ballistic options for IS mediums/ Lights

Would make normal AC/2 and 5 kind of redundant.

MML's - IS ATMs

MMLs don't act like ATMs, also no because ammo swapping won't be added.

HAG/s - Clan MRMs with gauss charge.

Usefulness depends entirely on how closely they impliment it.

Plasma Rifle/Cannon - Medium range front loaded flamers (Clan +heat / IS +Dmg)

Inherently OP. Either they will be useless or OP and ruin the game.

Magshop/AP Gauss - PPFLD option for lights (Note: AP Gauss potentially game breaking with Piranah+Macro)

Straight up bad and there is no Clan version.

Edited by Basmati Rice, 13 January 2021 - 07:31 AM.

#12 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:50 AM

What has happened?

Previously on MWO, Russ took all the mech money and, instead of fixing MWO, launched MW5.

That provided good income for about 5 minutes until the playerbase there realized the game was broken.

Late last spring, a player fixed MW5 for free and now Russ is going to re-release MW5: Reloaded for profit.

While all this was happening, PGI basically stopped developing MWO...until another company was interested in buying PGI.

It remains unclear whether that company didn't do their homework or actually has a plan to fix things.

Either way, negotiations created a demand for PGI to look busy developing, so they took up two community concerns:

That PSR could be done better and that the group queue was dysfunctional.

They "solved" these problems by having everyone start at PSR 3 while simultaneously allowing groups to drop in Quickplay.

So now we have coordinated lances destroying casual players and PSR is kind of meaningless because the current population means everyone plays together.

Given that Russ now has a boss to answer to, I personally think that there will be mechpacks because the most profitable thing in MWO is mechpacks. But we don't know.

Good times.

Edited by Hunka Junk, 13 January 2021 - 07:52 AM.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:58 AM

View PostBasmati Rice, on 13 January 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

• [LAC2/5] Would make normal AC/2 and 5 kind of redundant.
Standard AC2/5 would still have the range advantage, Can't imagine switching my AC2 Jager to lights. On TT an AC5's out perform 2x LAC2s.The LAC5 is the tricky one but I'd leave it as it is since mechs needs 2x more hardpoints to make them worthwhile. Unless you're using it as a complimentary.
  • [MMLs] MMLs don't act like ATMs, also no because ammo swapping won't be added.
ATM's are basically MMLS with an additional ammo type and integrated Artemis. The main difference is MMLs would be dealing 2 dmg per missile from 0-270m and lack the extended range. I'm not sure the ammo swapping argument matters considering we already have ATM's.
  • [Plasma Rifle/Cannon] Inherently OP. Either they will be useless or OP and ruin the game
Yeah, lots of potential to be broken and/or break the game. Max heat generated from flamers should be carried over to prevent stun locking. Would also be an incentive to diversify energy builds and bring a light AC2/5. Not a fan of the Clan Cannon but you know people will complain if we only had the IS Rifle.
  • [Magshot/AP Gauss] Straight up bad and there is no Clan version.
Not sure how you missed this: https://www.sarna.ne...nel_Gauss_Rifle

Edited by VonBruinwald, 13 January 2021 - 07:59 AM.

#14 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:00 AM

They really need to sticky the announcements made way back when the Dervish (the last new mech) was released, so people would stop asking

THERE WILL BE NO MORE NEW CONTENT FOR MWO UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

No mechs, no maps, no game modes. NOTHING. It was already announced. Until PGI decides otherwise, the current game is ALL WE HAVE.

In the recent Townhall, it was hinted there may be new development. But until official announcements are made, don't hold your breath

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:03 AM

View PostImperialKnight, on 13 January 2021 - 08:00 AM, said:

But until official announcements are made, don't hold your breath

I wouldn't hold your breath even after an announcement is made. I'm still waiting on my GoG edition:

#16 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

It’s possible. I made another poll just in case. Check out the 2021 edition on feature suggestions

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:09 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 January 2021 - 07:16 AM, said:

Only weapons really worth adding at this time:
  • Blazers - A way to boost large laser alphas at the expense of heat.
  • LAC2/5 - Ballistic options for IS mediums/ Lights
  • MML's - IS ATMs
  • HAG/s - Clan MRMs with gauss charge.
  • Plasma Rifle/Cannon - Medium range front loaded flamers (Clan +heat / IS +Dmg)
  • Magshop/AP Gauss - PPFLD option for lights (Note: AP Gauss potentially game breaking with Piranah+Macro)
Personally, I'd rather they fixed what we had before throwing more tar on the fire. IS-XLs, SnPPCs, Clan (Std.) ACs.

Protomech Autocannons said:

Am I a joke to you?

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 January 2021 - 07:58 AM, said:

• [LAC2/5] Would make normal AC/2 and 5 kind of redundant.
Standard AC2/5 would still have the range advantage, Can't imagine switching my AC2 Jager to lights. On TT an AC5's out perform 2x LAC2s.The LAC5 is the tricky one but I'd leave it as it is since mechs needs 2x more hardpoints to make them worthwhile. Unless you're using it as a complimentary.

I'd make LACs shoot in bursts to help normal ACs keep at least somewhat of an edge. Not really an original idea (Clans did it already) but it gets the job done. 2-shot burst for LAC/2 and 3-4 shot burst for LAC/5.

Ideally I'd also bump up the velocity on the default ACs and put the LACs at current AC speeds (makes sense because shorter barrel).

#19 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 January 2021 - 01:34 PM, said:

I'd make LACs shoot in bursts to help normal ACs keep at least somewhat of an edge. Not really an original idea (Clans did it already) but it gets the job done. 2-shot burst for LAC/2 and 3-4 shot burst for LAC/5.

Ideally I'd also bump up the velocity on the default ACs and put the LACs at current AC speeds (makes sense because shorter barrel).

Burst fire works. Not sure velocity needs playing with, give the LAC2/5 the same velocity as the AC5/10. It allows them to synch but the burst will still spread it slightly.

#20 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:47 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 January 2021 - 01:44 PM, said:

Burst fire works. Not sure velocity needs playing with, give the LAC2/5 the same velocity as the AC5/10. It allows them to synch but the burst will still spread it slightly.

I wanted to play with the velocity because the current AC/5/10/20 feel super slow (at least to me). I want their velocity buffed even if we never get LACs or anything else.

Besides my personal bias I don't think there's any need to sync them up with other ACs. Ideally they should be useful for mechs with low tonnage to dedicate to dakka. Mechs with enough tonnage to mount normal ACs can just use normal ACs.

It's kind of like how heavy lasers were supposed to help Clan mechs with limited tonnage/hardpoints but just ended up making the best laser vomit builds even better.

Edited by FupDup, 13 January 2021 - 01:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users