26 replies to this topic

#1 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:34 PM

HI All
Wanted to ask how you all are doing, with the TEIR LEVEL math, and how are your drops,
I personally hate dropping in to a game with 5 guys doing less than 100 match score.
Some of them are in assault mechs, it almost makes it a no brainer---- i have to run and assault mech or a heavy, and light mechs are many times just keeps me in TIER 4.
Also i would like to ask about time zones, i used to love to run large lasers, on SAT morning and just rip folks apart, i also really like playing with european guys, oh i am eastern USA time and i am stuck playing 7 to 11 eastern time, it also seems that after midnight eastern time, after the kids go to bed, that it was ok.
i personal think for most folks your travel, after 1 year, barring your in a great team will be to TEIR 5, if you play in my time zone, let your voice be heard, nothing will happen, if you do nothing.

Sawk
PS i am a CLANNER, if you disagree, i kill on sight

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:45 PM

As a Retired Freebirth one man wolfpack I think I am qualified to speak

Personally I don't watch PSR much at all
I just play to have fun and win if possible

but if not possible to win do what I can (Overide and Spam fire or kite like a potato PITA) and am pretty happy with that

When I do look at PSR it's in the Mechlab only,
as this shows the overall PSR trend

I really only pay attenion to PSR on the end of game board on a loss

If I go down PSR on a loss its not so surprising

But if I get PSR no change or increase PSR it gives me a warm feeling inside like when Dedre saw Kai Allard fall down a cliff and rescue her from jail after crushing the Falcon Guard, Good Times

Did I mention I'm a freebirth clanner

Anyway my advice to you is stop being an accountant and stop counting PSR

Save or cleanse the Inner Sphere depending on your clan doctrine
And have fun doing it.

Focusing on PSR too much takes away from your focus in game which could actually improve your PSR more than counting it and worrying about PSR.

In fact this PSR obsession can be counter, productive to your PSR progress

Finally even if you manage to increase PSR to the MAX T1 you will be miserable up here at T1
Most of T1 is full of salty organized pilots who seem miserable

I hear T3 , T4 and T5 is full of rainbows, unicorns and popcorn for every one in comparison to T1

If you want to for fill your Large Laser Power game T3, 4 and T5 is the place to do it
Because in T1 that's very difficult but not impossible , to do due to the constant NASCAR

If you luv NASCAR T1 is the place to be
Other wise smell the roses where you are now and remember that sweet smell
In T1 it stinks every day, except when I win

A New Hope this helps you out clan bro

Give me 5 my clan Brother from a trueborn vat mother

PS: T1 can't play T4 coz reasons, so you cannot kill moi if I disagreed doh I never did , I agreed totally
Just giving some pointers
aff

Edited by General Solo, 29 January 2021 - 07:57 PM.

#3 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

Not the problem slow people

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 07:57 PM

neg
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by General Solo, 29 January 2021 - 07:58 PM.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 01:37 AM

View PostSawk, on 29 January 2021 - 05:34 PM, said:

HI All
Wanted to ask how you all are doing, with the TEIR LEVEL math, and how are your drops,

I am fine, thanks for asking.

I personally hate dropping in to a game with 5 guys doing less than 100 match score.

You can see it in Tier 1 games too.

i personal think for most folks your travel, after 1 year, barring your in a great team will be to TEIR 5,

I do not drop in a group.

PS i am a CLANNER, if you disagree, i kill on sight

If you are a Clanner, why do you have that "Privateer" badge instead of a Clan one? Posted Image

#6 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 January 2021 - 03:27 AM

From my past experience, at T4 you are better off carrying the game yourself or as much as you possibly can as assault mechs can be unreliable due to sharing space with new players. I'm not saying all assault pilots in your games will be bad, but the chance of them being a newbie or a not-so-good player are high. A lot of my old frustrations was me helping assaults only to have them have absolutely no clue what the hell is going on and they run off to die solo, can't hit 80% of the time, have more weapons than they can fire or have too few weapons. It's pretty much a shitshow if you expect competent assaults at this tier.

I'm not crapping on new or struggling players, we all gotta start somewhere, but you gotta expect them to be in the games. If you want to win, you better do a lot of damage and kills yourself. The assaults you find might not be aggressive enough, not be familiar with the maps and so on (this can also apply to other weight classes, but sorta hurts the most when your assaults are newish).

This is one reason why I play assaults a lot in the lower tier (4 and down) so that one of the assault slots go to me and I have a slightly higher than newbie chance of performing better for the team. I'm also a terrible light/medium pilot and a very mediocre heavy pilot probably due to this reason as well.

At T3 and up, I get more experienced players and I generally can rely on an assault mech to somewhat do well and I'm more confident taking out my Kitfox or some other smaller mech to help support the big guys because they have a higher chance of being able to hit what they are aiming at and knw that the part of the game is also trading armor to deal more damage.

This is from someone who frequently bounces between T3 and T4.

As for people doing 100 damage, it can happen because it depends on who they are matched up against. Some players are better than others and people might be in trial mechs, unskilled mechs or just trying something new. This is a group of randos tossed together, not some elite gamer fighting force.

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:14 AM

View PostElizander, on 30 January 2021 - 03:27 AM, said:

From my past experience, at T4 you are better off carrying the game yourself or as much as you possibly can as assault mechs can be unreliable due to sharing space with new players. I'm not saying all assault pilots in your games will be bad, but the chance of them being a newbie or a not-so-good player are high. A lot of my old frustrations was me helping assaults only to have them have absolutely no clue what the hell is going on and they run off to die solo, can't hit 80% of the time, have more weapons than they can fire or have too few weapons. It's pretty much a shitshow if you expect competent assaults at this tier.

I think that many new players have heard that Assault 'Mechs are "the biggest and baddest 'Mechs in the game" and that they are "kings of the battlefield", etc.

All this might be true, but there is one important condition: That the player knows how to use Assault 'Mech correctly ... and many new players do not know how to move, where to go and what places avoid, etc.

And if such new player buys some not-so-good Assault 'Mech (such as the Awesome with its barn door profile), then the disaster is not far.

#8 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:15 AM

View PostElizander, on 30 January 2021 - 03:27 AM, said:

I'm not crapping on new or struggling players, we all gotta start somewhere, but you gotta expect them to be in the games. If you want to win, you better do a lot of damage and kills yourself. The assaults you find might not be aggressive enough, not be familiar with the maps and so on (this can also apply to other weight classes, but sorta hurts the most when your assaults are newish).

This is one reason why I play assaults a lot in the lower tier (4 and down) so that one of the assault slots go to me and I have a slightly higher than newbie chance of performing better for the team. I'm also a terrible light/medium pilot and a very mediocre heavy pilot probably due to this reason as well.

At T3 and up, I get more experienced players and I generally can rely on an assault mech to somewhat do well and I'm more confident taking out my Kitfox or some other smaller mech to help support the big guys because they have a higher chance of being able to hit what they are aiming at and knw that the part of the game is also trading armor to deal more damage.

This is from someone who frequently bounces between T3 and T4.

As for people doing 100 damage, it can happen because it depends on who they are matched up against. Some players are better than others and people might be in trial mechs, unskilled mechs or just trying something new. This is a group of randos tossed together, not some elite gamer fighting force.

I feel bad killing low tier players too much like taking a baby's candy no fun there

Edited by SirSmokes, 30 January 2021 - 04:15 AM.

#9 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:14 AM

Sawk I'm having trouble understanding your point.

In any game but particularly at lower tier sometimes you have team mates or opponents who just have a terrible outing. Skill is a part of it, but slower mech builds also are harder to recover once you've made a major positioning mistake (which are more common in lower tiers.)

But as others have said - don't worry about it. Play in a way that gives you fun. If you are better (meaning averaging a higher match score) then most in your games- you'll probably move up and away from folks with less skill

#10 Dozer6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 139 posts
  • LocationStripping lasers off my Archer to fit 4 more tons of LRM'S

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:50 AM

I happen to take a great deal of pride in how i die.

I die with style...

#11 DragoWolf

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 January 2021 - 04:00 PM

This is going to sound crazy, but if you enjoy this game,try to stay in a low tier.
Higher tiers are honestly just more stressful.

Play a "bad mech" or a weird load out every once in a while.
Try to follow the lore with builds. Join a group that does Urbanmech drops.

JUST HAVE FUN

PSR kills it unless you're competitive or like punishing those who are worse than you.

So just limit yourself occasionally just by having pure fun. You don't need to play the "META" all the time.

#12 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 January 2021 - 06:53 PM

I dunno, i personally don't mind being teir 5 tbh.. I win some i lose some. But people there are funny, chatty and enjoyable mostly.

I remember when PSR was an exp bar that actually got me into tier 2.. but mostly tier 3.. It was horrific, everyone had the same builds and mechs, no one talked but like one guy and they all worked like machines with epeen issues and acted like they were all real military... Man if you spoke or played wrong you were the antichrist.
NO FUN ALLOWED

As i said it was horrific, i quit around that time (2017) as my enjoyment dried up. Becareful what you wish for imo.

Edited by Samial, 30 January 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#13 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

I've always liked how people that aren't particularly good 1) complain the system is unfair and 2) complain they don't like the gameplay at the tiers they are not in so they don't really want to play with them anyhow.

I am at the absolute bottom skill wise of tier 1... but I still have fun and would much rather be playing with people there, rather than seal clubbing tier 5s and pretending that is "better".

Edited by crazytimes, 30 January 2021 - 07:16 PM.

#14 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:07 PM

Eastern as in EST, OP? Yeah I understand your pain with regards to time of day dictating how good matches are. I also find that Saturdays and Sundays at any time during the day is a nightmare. I haven't played much recently, less than 10 games a month at the moment, but I do recall toward the end of 2020, 7-9.30pm being pretty good. The quality then nose dived until much later at night or usually not at all. I'm T1 and haven't farmed MS to get here, my stats evened out to basically a 1:1 w/l ratio so I think I'm in a good spot. Soo it's definitely possible to escape T4! Try running something more efficient - MRMs on a Quickdraw IV-Four is what I used to dig out once month end was coming and I needed to make up for all the dumb builds I had run for weeks before that.

#15 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 04:17 AM

View PostDozer6, on 30 January 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

I happen to take a great deal of pride in how i die.

I die with style...

I prefer to die in a blaze of glory.

Posted Image

#16 Stuntyone

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:26 AM

If you want to go up the tiers you just have to concentrate on personal performance. I just returned to the game after a long absence to find myself down in tier 5. After getting used to the game again and skilling up a few underused mechs. I was in low tier 4 and decided to make a push for the higher tiers.
Out comes my triple rac2 shadow hawk, a mech I know I can play well consistently. After a couple of days of casual play I'm now a hair away from tier 3 as even lost games end with me getting between 350 - 500 match score.
So my advice is not to care about your team mates, as irritating as they can be sometimes :), pick a mech your good at and just concentrate on doing the best you can in every game.

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 05:50 AM

View PostStuntyone, on 31 January 2021 - 05:26 AM, said:

So my advice is not to care about your team mates, as irritating as they can be sometimes Posted Image, pick a mech your good at and just concentrate on doing the best you can in every game.

I would phrase it slightly differently: Care about your team mates (because the longer they live, the greater is the probability of your team winning and thus you getting the victory bonus), but not to your personal detriment.

#18 Stuntyone

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:08 AM

View Postmartian, on 31 January 2021 - 05:50 AM, said:

I would phrase it slightly differently: Care about your team mates (because the longer they live, the greater is the probability of your team winning and thus you getting the victory bonus), but not to your personal detriment.

That is a better way of putting it. What I meant to convey was to not get hung up on their performance, good or bad. By all means, move with and support your team mates as that usually leads to a better personal performance as well.

#19 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

WOW no speaks about the math, but some have understood, that time zone makes difference, i have also noticed the average time anyone spents on this game is about 1 year, some in a group or time zone, get very good in a month spending cash, thats great for the game.
but with this MATH, for tier level, they only get to keep 1 % past 1 that year, it going to take alot folks, to get them, to change how it is scored, i am looking at my last week of games, and i have 45% above 300 match score, and 25 percent below 150, and 30 percent at right at 200 or so.
i think it needs to adjusted, even stuck in time zone I am, i have more drops than most, but it is not about me, think about the guys in 6 months, they will not stay, think about the top 30 percent, not the top 5%,

SAWK

#20 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 12:00 AM

You always have excuses and refuse to take any responsibility for your own skill level. If you care so much about PSR then play better.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users