The Future Of Mechwarrior Online

18 replies to this topic

#1 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:01 AM

Greetings Mechwarriors, I've been away for a bit and decided to try the game again to see what has changed. I loved that they've added the classic maps back in. Love the testing ground feature so I can try out builds before purchasing. Groups and pugs drop together? Seems like a step backwards, but ok if it's because of low player numbers. The new match making system, is it really new? The 'new' system reminds me of the old system when it first came out of beta. The matches between the old vs new don't seem any different to me. I've been in a few matches were we get rolled, and have had several that have been close. Overall doesn't seem all that different.

So what is the future of Mechwarrior Online? I watched the No guts No galaxy town hall meeting. 2 whole hours of 'definite maybe'. The only thing confirmed was that they are looking for better ways to monetize the game, plus we might get a couple of new maps down the road. They could have announced that in a 10 minute video and spared us the whole community questions part.

I was hoping to hear a commitment that they'll be willing to look at issues that have plagued the game for years. Ghost heat being one. It's so annoying to hear that 'old' slogan of 'build it your way' when it is clear by adding ghost heat they don't want you to build it your way. Then when they realized ghost heat couldn't stop certain gauss rifle builds they just straight out wont let you do those builds in the mech lab. Might was well do that for all weapon types from the get go and change the slogan to 'build it our way'.

So did I miss anything? Game play is still fun, but does grows stale after a while. I guess some things will never change.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:03 AM

View Posts0da72, on 31 January 2021 - 11:01 AM, said:

I guess some things will never change.

MWO's entire development summed up in one sentence. What we have now is what we will always have, until the fateful day that the plug is finally pulled.

#3 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:19 AM

View PostFupDup, on 31 January 2021 - 11:03 AM, said:

MWO's entire development summed up in one sentence. What we have now is what we will always have, until the fateful day that the plug is finally pulled.

What we have to hope for is that the work they are putting in Mechwarrior 5 is transfer over to Mechwarrior online 2. Lets face facts Cry engine was just pain in the *** to code and Unreal is not as big pain in the ***

Edited by SirSmokes, 31 January 2021 - 12:36 PM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 31 January 2021 - 11:19 AM, said:

What we have to hope for this the work they are putting in Mechwarrior 5 is transfer over to Mechwarrior online 2. Lets face facts Cry engine was just pain in the *** to code and Unreal is not as big pain in the ***

The choice of CryEngine was indeed a pretty big whoopsiedoodle from the get-go. I'm not sure what exact % of MWO's problems can be traced back to it, but certainly a fair number of them can be (though I wouldn't put ALL of the blame on it).

Regardless of how or why we got here, we got here. This is how things are gonna stay.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

So what is the future of Mechwarrior Online?

A lot of vague plans - almost no commitments - filled with "maybe", "perhaps" and "if resources allow". Time schedules are "flexible" and "subject of change".

I guess some things will never change.

You get it quite right.

[redacted]

So did I miss anything?

Yes, you missed one important thing: Russ Bullock has managed to sell PGI to the Swedish EG7 company. That means that in about 2-3 months all those things that you have mentioned are going to be somebody else's problem.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 02 February 2021 - 12:08 AM.

#6 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:44 AM

cry engine or not its lack of recourses and mismanagement of the limited recourses that are the biggest problem.

#7 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 February 2021 - 05:00 PM

i'm just wondering how much $ M$ is going to get from the eg7 deal otherwise pgi is gona be in a lot of trouble when big brother finds out they sold their studio with an ip they are just licensing temporarily.

Mwo has no future unless M$ says so and a real developer gets the license for new video games off the mw ip.

#8 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

I feel without new content being added its future is pretty grim customer wise.. People only play the same content for so long and drive by sales only help for a short time..

Population diminishes here faster than new people arrive.. Just look at the customer stats and population sizes to work that out.

#9 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 02 February 2021 - 02:08 AM

I was hoping to hear a commitment that they'll be willing to look at issues that have plagued the game for years. Ghost heat being one. It's so annoying to hear that 'old' slogan of 'build it your way' when it is clear by adding ghost heat they don't want you to build it your way. Then when they realized ghost heat couldn't stop certain gauss rifle builds they just straight out wont let you do those builds in the mech lab. Might was well do that for all weapon types from the get go and change the slogan to 'build it our way'.
Yeah man. I know the feels.
I really hope that all that changes for the better now that someone other than russ is holding a whip to PGI's behind.
I want to be optimistic man. I really do. I have been a fan or member of the BT/Mechwarrior since I discovered it at the age of five years old in 1993. I have literally been with this franchise since its near inception. I have read/owned most of the novels, novellas, merch. Visited the Virtual World pods, played MW3 in a real mech simulator with rotating cockpit. Owned and played all the previous games at one point or another...

All that to say: I really hope EG7 changes to MWO for the better, because I LOVE this franchise dearly, and right now, PGI is doing nothing but bringing shame to hardcore fans like me. I dont want MWO to be a guilty pleasure of a **** game. I want this game to be far more popular than world of tanks so we can finally get some awesome god damned TV/Movie series now that starwars and trek have burned themselves down.

#10 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:26 AM

View PostNovember11th, on 02 February 2021 - 02:08 AM, said:

I really hope that all that changes for the better now that someone other than russ is holding a whip to PGI's behind.
I want to be optimistic man. I really do. I have been a fan or member of the BT/Mechwarrior since I discovered it at the age of five years old in 1993. I have literally been with this franchise since its near inception. I have read/owned most of the novels, novellas, merch. Visited the Virtual World pods, played MW3 in a real mech simulator with rotating cockpit. Owned and played all the previous games at one point or another...

All that to say: I really hope EG7 changes to MWO for the better, because I LOVE this franchise dearly, and right now, PGI is doing nothing but bringing shame to hardcore fans like me. I dont want MWO to be a guilty pleasure of a **** game. I want this game to be far more popular than world of tanks so we can finally get some awesome god damned TV/Movie series now that starwars and trek have burned themselves down.

Problem -EG7 is a Ferengi-like Shareholder...when a studio not brings profit ,the Studo is fast close and talented guys becomes the Chance to work by other EG7 doughters like DICE

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 02 February 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#11 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:32 AM

Eg7 owns DICE? I thought they were part of EA cause of battlefront annual releases?

#12 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 06:12 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 02 February 2021 - 02:08 AM, said:

I want to be optimistic as well. I'm not familiar with EG7's track record. Do they have a history of purchasing online games and turning them around? I've haven't seen anyone on the forum talking about it. It doesn't take a person with an MBA degree to know that another company does not purchase another unless they see an opportunity to get a return on their investment. Whatever changes are coming down the road, how this game is monetized will probably be one of them. I guess we will find out if this is good or bad.

Speaking of monetization. I wouldn't mind them changing how Active Premium Time works or implementing some other kind of system that gives players bonuses for game play. For instance allow you to purchase a 10% XP/C-Bill boost for 1 hour for a $1.00 and allow you to stack additional XP/C-Bill boost up to 5 times up to 50% for a total of $5.00. Shorten the time period length and give better bonuses.

Edited by s0da72, 02 February 2021 - 06:15 PM.

#13 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:08 PM

View Posts0da72, on 02 February 2021 - 06:12 PM, said:

I want to be optimistic as well. I'm not familiar with EG7's track record. Do they have a history of purchasing online games and turning them around? I've haven't seen anyone on the forum talking about it. It doesn't take a person with an MBA degree to know that another company does not purchase another unless they see an opportunity to get a return on their investment. Whatever changes are coming down the road, how this game is monetized will probably be one of them. I guess we will find out if this is good or bad.

Speaking of monetization. I wouldn't mind them changing how Active Premium Time works or implementing some other kind of system that gives players bonuses for game play. For instance allow you to purchase a 10% XP/C-Bill boost for 1 hour for a $1.00 and allow you to stack additional XP/C-Bill boost up to 5 times up to 50% for a total of $5.00. Shorten the time period length and give better bonuses.

That is a horrible idea on pt. If you want to see how such a system already implemented sucks go play digimon monsters online. You literately have to pay for nearly every thing from inventory space to random rng mini-games for a digimon. The most simplest way to pt to work wich was pointed out the day we found out about it was to simply make all pt work solely when a player is logged in only and not run the 24/7 that it does. That would have made a lot of people gladly pay for it.

#14 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:35 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 02 February 2021 - 07:08 PM, said:

That is a horrible idea on pt. If you want to see how such a system already implemented sucks go play digimon monsters online. You literately have to pay for nearly every thing from inventory space to random rng mini-games for a digimon. The most simplest way to pt to work wich was pointed out the day we found out about it was to simply make all pt work solely when a player is logged in only and not run the 24/7 that it does. That would have made a lot of people gladly pay for it.

It's not a horrible idea. They basically do this already today with hero mechs. But you are forced to play the hero mech in order to get the bonus. I'm also not saying they need to change how PT should work. In fact they could just leave PT as it is and have this as something separate. Being able to purchase a temporary bonus for a specific period of time gives a player an option to play any mech they want with a bonus. It's not something you would be required to purchase to play.

#15 Valec

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:57 PM

View Posts0da72, on 02 February 2021 - 07:35 PM, said:

It's not a horrible idea. They basically do this already today with hero mechs. But you are forced to play the hero mech in order to get the bonus. I'm also not saying they need to change how PT should work. In fact they could just leave PT as it is and have this as something separate. Being able to purchase a temporary bonus for a specific period of time gives a player an option to play any mech they want with a bonus. It's not something you would be required to purchase to play.

Yes, yes it is a horrible idea. One of the absolute worst I think anyone has ever had in regards to a game they want to see succeed. I'm sorry.

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 03 February 2021 - 02:55 AM

View PostNovember11th, on 02 February 2021 - 11:32 AM, said:

Eg7 owns DICE? I thought they were part of EA cause of battlefront annual releases?

My Fail ...not Dice ...origin is part of EG7

in the portofolia we seeing by EG7 the online Game Battestar Galactica Online, after the Way to a pure P2W Game ,the severs shut down from own to another Day from Big Point

https://www.mmobomb....tica-online-no/

https://www.enadglobal7.com/portfolio/

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 03 February 2021 - 02:55 AM.

#17 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:51 PM

View PostValec, on 02 February 2021 - 07:57 PM, said:

Yes, yes it is a horrible idea. One of the absolute worst I think anyone has ever had in regards to a game they want to see succeed. I'm sorry.

In a game that allows you to purchase c-bills and skill points directly without playing one single match. A game that will currently match a player with an unskilled Mech with a player that has fully skilled mech. Somehow adding a new way to collect an additional bonus for playing the game is going to be it's death? A change that would have zero impact on how the game is played today. Unless you're suggesting all of it be removed. The 'free to play' business model is already here. I didn't hear anything in the town hall meeting(or in the roadmap) that suggests any of that is going to change.

I did hear Russ discuss trying to repackage old mech packs to sell. But some how the definition of 'exclusive' is getting in the way. They'll probably change the colors a bit, maybe update the in game mech tag and call it good to go. Then there was the discussion of subscriptions. I'm not opposed to a subscription. Assuming it allows you to play the game without having to use/spend any c-bills or skill points. I would also expect the cost to be less than a streaming service.

Edited by s0da72, 03 February 2021 - 04:54 PM.

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:55 AM

They could make a mech that has quirks
Not new yeah.....unless
Give it quirks that give 30% extra damage in game if the pilot does not have a group TAG... Call it Danger Seal Corgeski
or
Seal Clubbers Bane or....
Baby Seals Fight back...No no to long not catchy enough Posted Image

#19 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:59 AM

Another idea is to increase tracking strength of lerms and reduce lerm lock time by 50% for pilots with a sub 1 win loss
Make ams earn that match score
Just untill they unmerge the queues and do Match maker right...Sounds fair, many solo pilots will return I think

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users