53 replies to this topic

#41 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:16 PM

the bolt ons have most nothing to to with the BT Universe ...what the Hell , a Nuke bomb ?!!!!! Pipes like a Truck or a Fuel Tank ?! give BT Bolt Ons tahts make sense (like the Flags) not submarine Turrets and chainsaws(when not a Aggro Mech) ,thats not WH40k..in Moment the bolt one lie a Working Therapy for Designers , give the Designer better a new map for Working or new assets for this,Bolts on a Waste of Time and Ressources ,a yes 25000 $ for a Map ,and for a Bolt on ?and what mahe the community more Happy ?!

Sure, I weld a 3-ton submarine tower on my back or half a Raven on my shoulder for 10t and do without weapons, armor or ammunition, because otherwise the internal structure will break away

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 25 February 2021 - 02:19 AM.

#42 OldSchoolCav

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:06 PM

View PostKursedVixen, on 23 February 2021 - 03:43 PM, said:

yeah does seem like a waste of time when maps could be fixed or other things. i personally shoot bolt ons off my allies for fun I just see it like decals a big SHOOT ME target.

Maybe limit them to solaris only? because in quickplay they serve no purpose...

I could not agree more - this feels like a way to sell more bolt-ons. maybe focus on gameplay?

#43 Mavairo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

Leave them so that they don't get shot off. Just make a toggle for people that don't want to see them. I love my blinged out Atlas, personally. Glowing eyes, sword in hand, exhaust pipes.

#44 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 05 March 2021 - 04:50 PM

All bolt ons MUST fall off as they destroy the immersion feeling.
At least there must be an option in the menu to toggle them on and off do you don't see them even if they are there.
I don't want to see that crap

#45 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:38 AM

Flags are about the only item right now that I can think of that "should fall off", although I would also like to see some Holiday special occasion flags added to the game such as a four leaf clover for St. Patrick's day.

#46 Faelien

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:59 PM

Just give bolt-ons 1 health before they fall off. Tbh the flag and the bush are the only bolt-ons that should be in the game in the first place. Most of them are way too silly, maybe limit them to Solaris.

Edited by Faelien, 08 March 2021 - 07:01 PM.

#47 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:59 PM

View PostVidarion, on 19 February 2021 - 08:17 AM, said:

Anything that can appear to be a shield (helipad, I'm looking at you) or armor or an additional weapon (drill, chainsaw) either need to fall off or transfer damage to the hitbox that they are attached to.

To be honest, if you want to change the geometry of your mech with a bolt-on that's on _YOU_ and damage that hits the bolt-on is hitting _YOU_ so it should transfer 100% to the component you attached the bolt-on too.

The only exceptions to that would maybe be the flags and searchlights...which I think should fall off with any amount of damage. Everything else should 100% transfer damage to the hit location it's on and fall off when that hit location is destroyed.

If that can't be done, then bolt-ons should fall off when they receive one point of damage to avoid tag lasers being used to remove them.

Main problem with that is arm-shielding on torso-only builds.

View PostFupDup, on 19 February 2021 - 02:32 PM, said:

They're punishing you for using a bad build. Posted Image

Not so sure that build is "bad". I frequently see it do quite well.

#48 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 08 March 2021 - 11:49 PM

BAS torso gun emulations (I think they're called blades) should fall off
also flags tbh.

otherwise most are fine, especially if you can disable rendering

#49 The Paleo King

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWherever the C-bills flow

Posted 22 March 2021 - 01:11 PM

Bolt-ons being cosmetic, they should fall off if the component is destroyed. But having them flake off when the part's armor is barely damaged doesn't make much sense. They should just be "transparent" or point-neutral when it comes to damage, so they aren't treated as armor boosts. Damage passes through them and hits the part that the weapon as headed for. But at least have them cling on until the component's armor is destroyed.

That said, there's something else that could be improved with bolt-ons. And that's the type of bolt-ons that tend to dominate the lineup; it's very unbalanced. Most of them don't look even remotely mechwarrior or even sci-fi, they're more like decorations from a rodeo, a monster truck show, or a D&D game than any sort of future military tech. Let's have fewer tusks, horns, and crazy scraps (truck exhausts, crushed cars, jet engines, submarine towers, chainsaws, etc.) and replace them with more 'techy' or 'tactical' bolt-ons that make sense for a mech (more reinforcing/utility cages, custom head antennas and sensors, metallic/lightning parts like the electric knuckles and battery packs, things that a merc or Solaris champ would actually be likely to put on their mechs). Spikes and studs could work too, as long as they're believable battlefield mods like the ones that come as standard skins on the Resistance II mech bundle (great pack, BTW) - rather than the fantasy D&D gear we're mostly seeing now.

Yes, the monster truck/rodeo/D&D bits have their place in Solaris and some of the periphery pirate states. But even in Solaris and periphery mechs, these over-the-top mods were RARE in canon Battletech, and there are far too many of them in the bolt-on store relative to the more Battletech-style bolt-ons like the knuckles and battery packs. Do we really need ten different versions of the same tusks/horns, for every one realistic hi-tech bolt on? (How many color variants do said horns really need to come in, given that the color can be changed anyway with the same standard color packs as camo skins and paintable decals?)

Another suggestion is more slots for the bolt-ons, since the more realistic ones tend to be on the small side.

Edited by The Paleo King, 22 March 2021 - 09:27 PM.

#50 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 March 2021 - 06:20 PM

How realistic are submarine towers and junk cars in a Mech where every barrel is important for armor or ammunition ?! or chainsaws like in Warhammer 40k if it is not a factory mech ... less fantasy and more BT would be nice ... different head armor e.g. with sensors, other cockpits, weapon disguises, armor and ammunition feeds that suggest different manufacturers, camouflaged etc. would be better

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 22 March 2021 - 06:25 PM.

#51 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:48 PM

I think that's what most of us want for bolt-ons, however, that's not the purpose of this thread as stated in the OP. This is supposed to be specifically to address which bolt-ons in the game now should fall off when struck.

#52 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:13 PM

There you can see where the priorities are ..not whether anyone even wants the bolt ons (or even spend money on them), or wants to see them at all, but whether these ugly superfluous attachments fall off or not ...PGI

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 27 March 2021 - 09:04 PM.

#53 Florida Man 666

Rookie

• The Soviet
  • The Soviet
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSouth Pasadena, Florida

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:49 PM

HORNS WILL NOT FALL OFF! HORNS! FLORIDA MAN!

#54 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:41 PM

After seeing the Elemental Bolt-ons for the Warden Pack, I wanna see more IS and Clan variations like these:
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users