The Curious Case Of The Grand Dragon

107 replies to this topic

#101 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:33 PM

View PostJohn McHobo, on 07 March 2021 - 11:23 AM, said:

What? PGI thinks the Dargon does not need huge quirks, seriously? Please elaborate.

PGI have no idea how MWO actually plays, I dont think they even boot up the game.

When quirks were new, they gave the Dragon fully automatic AC5s, and it became a meta choice because it had something insane like 40% cooldown reduction on AC5s, so just chain-firing 2 was like a rotary 20 or something.

So in PGIs mind, because it was OP at one point for a short amount of time because of a change they made, it has to suck forever now.

For example, the banshee was a meta assault pick when it was new, so even after it got absolutely ruined by the engine desync, PGI also gutted its quirks and has left it a steaming pile of trash for almost 5 years. It will never be good again. Their idea of balance is to occasionally ruin a specific mech so nobody plays it ever again.

At one point I mained the La Malinche with incredible results. Can you believe that? It used to move like a dancer, and had something like 30% cooldown quirks for 3LPLs and an AC10. It wasnt even OP, it needed the agility and the quirks to make up for its weak alpha to size ratio. Now it's trash. I wasted that money on a digital mech like an idiot.

Edited by LordBraxton, 07 March 2021 - 01:36 PM.

#102 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 12:59 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 07 March 2021 - 01:33 PM, said:

When quirks were new, they gave the Dragon fully automatic AC5s, and it became a meta choice because it had something insane like 40% cooldown reduction on AC5s, so just chain-firing 2 was like a rotary 20 or something.

I remember those times. It was fun, but I quickly had to remake my builds since everyone immediately went for the Dragons right arm, even if those overquirked hardpoints still had a lousy height.

#103 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 08 March 2021 - 05:21 PM

View PostJohn McHobo, on 07 March 2021 - 11:23 AM, said:

What? PGI thinks the Dargon does not need huge quirks, seriously? Please elaborate.

Not PGI as whole. A specific senior member of the Dev team who had a bad experience with Dragons back when IK and Knockdowns were in the game and he happens to have Veto power on any change made in game. Because of this, he pretty much has executive say on any changes made, and is the most likely the reason why the Dragon has never gotten any higher than Trash tier. Hell, the one time in recent years that a Dragon variant got "'tolerable" quirk-wise it was nerfed the very next patch.

#104 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:00 PM

Wait, the 5N is not A-tier anymore? Posted Image

#105 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:25 AM

i hoped back in the day,ages ago when clan mechs were introduced and the chassis challenge was held,that the Grand Dragon would be a mirrored left torso of the DRG-1C,6 energy,4 torso high mounts and one missile in the centre,but it was ages ago,like 4-5 years

#106 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 11 March 2021 - 02:11 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 08 March 2021 - 10:00 PM, said:

Wait, the 5N is not A-tier anymore? Posted Image

It may have been years ago, but not anymore. The last Dragon variant to be considered tolerable was the 1N with a large laser build, but that particular variant got it's quirks hit a month later.

#107 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:21 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 11 March 2021 - 02:11 PM, said:

It may have been years ago, but not anymore. The last Dragon variant to be considered tolerable was the 1N with a large laser build, but that particular variant got it's quirks hit a month later.

I agree to disagree.

#108 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:22 AM

5N with 3UAC2 is still A-tier, but any other use of dragons is fully obsolete.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users