13 replies to this topic

#1 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:34 PM

Preface;
Spellcheck don't fail me now. Roughly a year ago, I had an accident at work that resulted in a bone deep cut going two thirds of the way around my thumb. Severe nerve damage, a bandage the size of a corndog, and a scar that makes my thumbprint a smiley face. I play with a trackball that employs that thumb as my left click/weapon group 1. Two days after it happened, I posted about it and was playing MWO with the handicap of burning, stubborn pain every time I shot at someone with my nearly immobilized giant thumb. It was pretty serious, but I ultimately found a pile of humor in the notion that I just couldn't take too long of a break from my nightly combat ritual, and would continue to play like that.

The sequel:
On monday of this week, (now being late friday night), my work truck was making a weird noise and not shifting right. As I climbed under to look for the problem, the transmission intercooler hose popped off it's pipe barb, shooting hot hydraulic fluid and flakes of rusted metal under my left eyelid. (Let me also note here that when I was born, I got an infection in my right eye that left 80% of the center of my retina unfix-ably destroyed; so my left eye is unusually important.) I succeeded in getting the vehicle flatbedded to my house, in the last few hours before my eye swelled shut.

I spent six and a half hours in the emergency room, with 4 nurses holding my eye open, with a UV illuminator, digging little chunks of sharp crap out of my eye socket. CT scans were needed to make sure all the debris was removed from behind my eyeball. I've got two big scratches forming a lowercase, upside down "f" on my cornea, the upper one crossing over the edge of my pupil. The last few days have been waaaaay messed up, keeping my eye open has been painful, leaky, and with about as much resolution as a camera with only about thirty pixels. At arm's reach, I can't tell apart a quarter from a nickel; because until the pupil muscles heal, my "good" eye refuses to focus. It gives a one finger salute to bright lights and changing distances.
Doctors said it will be 2 weeks before I can read text messages on my phone, but it will heal.

So here I am, stubborn A-hole, gonna try and play a few nearly blind matches of MWO. At the moment, I totally regret being high tier 1, because I will be utterly dominated by most of the opponents I'll encounter. I'll abort my mission tonight if I accidently do too much team damage, I don't want to screw up games for any team mates if I can help it. If you see my mech run full speed into any walls, feel free to laugh at my expense. I've been playing this game every few days consistently since closed beta, so hopefully my memory of the maps and reflex intuition will help me out some. I won't be able to read anyone's names or small text in the UI.

So wish me an o7 glhf, don't get too mad if I'm on your team. There won't be any free warhorns for killing me, but a chuckle knowing I couldn't see for crap who was shooting at me even at 100 meters. If I kill you tonight or the next week though, lol seriously bro, git gud. Hopefully I didn't just type several paragraphs of illegible gibberish. Cheers.

#2 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:44 PM

ouch, legit hope you dont have any more permanent damage to your eyes.

#3 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:47 PM

OP8, sorry to hear that you have ended up in this awful jam. I hope you get well soon, and that you wear some safety goggles and protective gloves in the future when dealing with super-dangerous things. Do not try to push yourself on playing MWO at this time in any way. It could result in further damage to keep pushing yourself like this. Go get well first, and then come back when you are in far better shape! :(

~D. V. "It is not worth stressing yourself with MWO in that condition!" Devnull

#4 Lucky Noob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:51 PM

Oh Man you did get the full dose of Hurt there.

I wish you an good recovery and an quick one.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:31 AM

When I was 16, I was a dumb*ss and managed to shoot myself in the left eye out the feeding end of an airsoft gun right as Spring Break was starting. I had a similar experience; blood filled up behind my cornea and my iris is now detached from the sclera in a section and I get quarter halos around every light source. And my right eye never fully developed and operates in a permanent low-resolution mode so, like you, my left eye is unusually important.

TL;DR: I can relate.

#6 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,422 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:42 AM

Hey OP8, wishing you a GOOD recovery, and health is more important!

Do take a good rest... surely we'll see you around when you feel better :)

God bless

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2021 - 03:16 AM

Now i don't want to sound insensitive but why are you trying to play a online game when honestly you should be healing.. To me it seems crazy that you'd strain on a screen with what sounds like a serious eye trauma..

Take a break and fix your eye.. MWO is going no where..

Anyway sorry to hear this but gaming should come second to healing.. and real life.

#8 Dozer6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 139 posts
  • LocationStripping lasers off my Archer to fit 4 more tons of LRM'S

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:31 AM

o7 warrior.

#9 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:50 AM

I'll pray for a speedy recovery man. About 5 years ago I nearly saw off my pinkie on my table saw. I wish I had took a picture of the rig I made just to play this game. I feel you brother trust me.

#10 HenryFA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationHunting down LRM assaults

Posted 06 March 2021 - 07:54 AM

get well soon fellow mechwarrior!

#11 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:51 PM

Nice fellow mad Mech Warrior,good luck with the recovery mate :) A year ago a full 5kg metal argon gas cylinder fell several meters onto my hand when I was working with our big metal plasma cutter.Damn thing split four fingers like they were over cooked sausages and popped my hand.Bones sticking out,all sorts of fun.
Naturally a week later with my hand in tensioners and other fun stuff,back playing MWO ... once the bone in my ring finger popped out during a fight,so for a good year I was using my toes for my keyboard (it was on the ground).Fun times.

#12 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:15 PM

Sending a prayer for a quick and full recovery. Posted Image

#13 GhostlyBosun

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:09 PM

Odd timing. I just had solvent drip off a hotrod frame into my right eye this week.
2 days in, finally am starting to get normal feeling back in my eye... Visions still ******. Steam just updated and lost all connectivity; which I guess is fine, 5 minitues in training grounds was pretty well enough for me to realize I couldn't play. Just happy things will probably go back to normal.

#14 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:10 PM

Just take a break. No sense in not having a good experience of games you like. Rest up, come back to what you enjoy, cause your eyes are the most important thing in the world second to talking and hearing.

No more wrecks either. I don't want another Myrmi... :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users