48 replies to this topic

#41 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:18 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 01 March 2021 - 04:54 PM, said:

i sometimes use them for events that are exceptionally grindy or difficult.

Sadly this event brought out the worst with so much Heavy Mechs.

#42 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 12:53 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 February 2021 - 11:08 PM, said:

the first is lerm boats, obviously. nothing as exciting as standing there, staring at rocks, with a little red crosshair overplayed atop of some kind of shrubbeery. firing those missiles and hope they connect to something other than a rock or your team mates. perhaps the crosshair turns red, and sometimes you might kill something, but the shrubbery looks back at you with a look of disgust about it

That's not how you play LRM boats.

LRMing is active play. Move with your team be active, stay just behind first line and go for direct locks to decrease travel time and spread, occasionally let the enemy hit you and share some armor. Sometimes stay at the flank of the main group and hit enemy from the side. Shoot where you can easily hit enemy but they have no line of sight, just slightly below ramps or ridges. etc. Mount LRMs on a jump jet mech and do LRM poptarting just over a ridge.

You can rack up kills, insane damage, disorient and demoralize enemies that are involved with your guys and generally cause havoc on the battlefield. A good percentage of the games you will have a bad time due to lots of ECM and AMS and will have to do very careful playing to be effective. Occasionally being rendered completely ineffective due to enemy loadouts.

That is how you play LRM boats properly and thats why people hate them, its hard to trade with a good LRM player while a passive LRM boat sitting somewhere in the back is just fish bait and free kills for lights. On the other hand its also easy to protect yourself from LRMs with good movement and cover discipline, decent tactics and with 3-4x AMS and ECM.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 03 March 2021 - 01:00 PM.

#43 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 02:04 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 03 March 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

That's not how you play LRM boats.

LRMing is active play. Move with your team be active, stay just behind first line and go for direct locks to decrease travel time and spread, occasionally let the enemy hit you and share some armor. Sometimes stay at the flank of the main group and hit enemy from the side. Shoot where you can easily hit enemy but they have no line of sight, just slightly below ramps or ridges. etc. Mount LRMs on a jump jet mech and do LRM poptarting just over a ridge.

You can rack up kills, insane damage, disorient and demoralize enemies that are involved with your guys and generally cause havoc on the battlefield. A good percentage of the games you will have a bad time due to lots of ECM and AMS and will have to do very careful playing to be effective. Occasionally being rendered completely ineffective due to enemy loadouts.

That is how you play LRM boats properly and thats why people hate them, its hard to trade with a good LRM player while a passive LRM boat sitting somewhere in the back is just fish bait and free kills for lights. On the other hand its also easy to protect yourself from LRMs with good movement and cover discipline, decent tactics and with 3-4x AMS and ECM.

think i said elsewhere mrms and atms do it better. why take an lrm20 when i can saturate missiles with an mrm40? and why take a clrm20 when the atms do 3 damage in the murder bracket. 7 tubes out performs it. if ecm/stealth is an issue they both can be dumbfired. ams is still an issue with atms, and i think you either find another target or you shoot out its ams with backups.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 March 2021 - 02:06 PM.

#44 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 750 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:41 AM

View Postaccount redo v1, on 24 February 2021 - 05:23 PM, said:

I find myself fluctuating between barely tier 3 and 99.9% tier 4. I've noticed that people are much more accurate in tier 3 with better reflexes. I'm almost tempted sometimes to play my more competitive builds but then I stop myself and remember that I can't forgo my principles just for tier. I can't just cheat on my 2 erppc viper-b for the chance to play baradul (I've only ever been in 2 matches with the guy in all the time I've been playing).

Basically, the difference between tier 3 and tier 4 is very noticeable to me in terms of difficulty. I think maybe I should try to pad my match score in the opposite direction with goofy mechs rather than try to pad tier 3 to use goofy mechs. If that fails, there's always Runescape neopets (Runescape is too hard).

With that in mind I think I'll try my lrm 100 marauder 4hp. Maybe mess around with a 2x medium laser, 2x RAC2 assassin to see if that's good at hunting light mechs?

Baradul needs to name one of his atlas "Tip of Despair" and one of his crabs "Holy Crab". Just commentating.

I am in basically the same spot of the tier spectrum, and I can confirm, the differences are quite noticeable (probably because people who's almost at T2 get paired with you when you just enter T3, as someone else mentioned)
Other differences include the much more widespread use of Laser AMS, much worse reaction times and worse aim in general, along with some outlying cases of people not using cover at all.
Sometimes I feel bad for falling into T4 again, but then I notice it happens when I start using more liberal builds (read: whatever the **** I wanna equip on a given chassis instead of a tryhard meta build) and then I start getting comfortable in there.
Yes, if I was Baradul or Sean I could use whatever crap I want and still go up, but I'm not, so I'll take a T4 fun relaxed match over T3 every time.

#45 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

The difference between tier 3 and 4 is the same as the difference between 1 and 5

not NEARLY as much as people make it out to be

#46 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 05:14 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 March 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

think i said elsewhere mrms and atms do it better. why take an lrm20 when i can saturate missiles with an mrm40? and why take a clrm20 when the atms do 3 damage in the murder bracket. 7 tubes out performs it. if ecm/stealth is an issue they both can be dumbfired. ams is still an issue with atms, and i think you either find another target or you shoot out its ams with backups.

I was talking about how to play LRMs effectively. That's what the topic was about.

Now MRMs and ATMs, those are entirely different weapon systems with distinct tactics and play styles. None is objectively "better", just different. If you want I can give you a run down of those as well.

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 05:24 PM

the best play style ive found for lerms is to leave them in you inventory and bring better weapons.

#48 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 05:39 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 March 2021 - 05:24 PM, said:

the best play style ive found for lerms is to leave them in you inventory and bring better weapons.

Good for you, I enjoy, and manage to use effectively all weapon systems.

[redacted]

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 13 March 2021 - 04:55 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users