50 replies to this topic

#21 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:52 AM

Whatever you bring stay with the brawl pack if your lurming from 800 meters away you are not helping your team.
And you will soon be dead.
Trust me I'm a bossPosted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 13 March 2021 - 05:52 AM.

#22 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 13 March 2021 - 03:38 AM, said:

My clrm with tag are mostly hitting ct or at least the center of whatever part is facing me after skill nodes are in play. IS broadsides even with tag are still so wide at the impact point at least half the missiles hit outside the ct

A last consideration is how a constant stream of missiles exploding on your target will rattle the pilot and make him easier to take out vs the salvo nature of IS broadsides.

The missiles are not striking a static target, but an active player who can torso twist and spread the damage which is very easy to do with CLRMs. Cockpit shake can easily be ignored by experienced pilots. You are also ignoring the fact that AMS negates CLRMs much better then IS LRMs.

We have to take into account really high quirks for missile cooldown on IS mechs, allowing one to fire LRMs at really fast rates, case in point Awsome, Trebuchet and Catapult.

Your preference for CLRM is fine, but IS LRM is objectively superior.

There are long established meta facts in MWO that newer players seem to not understand yet. Those become evident when you play with players of higher skill. Its easy to negate and work around certain weapon systems such as CLRMs. I'd rather be hit with CLRMs the IS anyday.

Either way you'll figure it out eventually.

#23 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:14 AM

The main thing is there being more time for the target to move or twist when facing stream fire, not to mention chain fire.

The AMS thing is much less relevant in my opinion.

#24 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 March 2021 - 01:25 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 13 March 2021 - 09:07 AM, said:

The missiles are not striking a static target, but an active player who can torso twist and spread the damage which is very easy to do with CLRMs. Cockpit shake can easily be ignored by experienced pilots. You are also ignoring the fact that AMS negates CLRMs much better then IS LRMs.

We have to take into account really high quirks for missile cooldown on IS mechs, allowing one to fire LRMs at really fast rates, case in point Awsome, Trebuchet and Catapult.

Your preference for CLRM is fine, but IS LRM is objectively superior.

There are long established meta facts in MWO that newer players seem to not understand yet. Those become evident when you play with players of higher skill. Its easy to negate and work around certain weapon systems such as CLRMs. I'd rather be hit with CLRMs the IS anyday.

Either way you'll figure it out eventually.

I think you are arguing just to argue now.. Posted Image The twist doesn't matter because for IS you only have to twist once and wait a while for the next incoming salvo. Once I lock onto you with a 4x lrm15 huntsman you can twist all you want it won't matter the missiles won't stop till you either break lock or die. Are you spreading the damage? Yeah but you are not fighting either. Cockpit shake is manageable with IS because you its just one big whack upside your mech but the huntsman is going to be a constant shake that doesn't stop. Hard to fight a brawl when you have nothing but explosions in your face yes?

edit: I should point out I'm not advocating that IS or clan lrm are better or worse than each other in quick play. Simply saying that both are viable and effective.

Edited by Meep Meep, 13 March 2021 - 02:05 PM.

#25 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:53 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 13 March 2021 - 01:25 PM, said:

I think you are arguing just to argue now.. Posted Image The twist doesn't matter because for IS you only have to twist once and wait a while for the next incoming salvo. Once I lock onto you with a 4x lrm15 huntsman you can twist all you want it won't matter the missiles won't stop till you either break lock or die. Are you spreading the damage? Yeah but you are not fighting either. Cockpit shake is manageable with IS because you its just one big whack upside your mech but the huntsman is going to be a constant shake that doesn't stop. Hard to fight a brawl when you have nothing but explosions in your face yes?

edit: I should point out I'm not advocating that IS or clan lrm are better or worse than each other in quick play. Simply saying that both are viable and effective.

Both Clan and IS LRMs have strong and weak points

#26 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 06:50 AM

View PostChrisie10101, on 02 March 2021 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hello fellow mechwarriors! I recently started playing this game and after some testing with multiple mechtypes i have grown quite fond of LRM's. Me and a couple friends are thinking of trying grouping up with multiple lrm mechs and would like some advice on what the best setups for such a group would be. Thanks in advance Posted Image

1) Disregard most of what the LRM haters and naysayers have told you.
2) Use DEDICATED LRM boats only - by this I mean mechs with 50+ LRM tube counts, and a few backup lasers or MG's installed. For this you can use a variety of mechs. Assaults can carry the biggest loadouts, but they are very slow, witch makes them lag behind during a nascar. This is not a problem if you run with a big group that works with you. For Clan assaults, I prefer the Supernova, Highlander IIC, MadCat II.. IS go with Awesome, Fafnir, Atlas, Marauder 2..

I do however suggest you use a faster heavy, such as Riffleman IIC, SunSpider, Nova Cat.. Sadly, IS doesn't have good heavies for LRM boating..

3) One or more of your team should help with NARC. This is ideally a fast stealth light, or a fast medium. I've seen a single NARCer turn the tide and make the team not just win, but annihilate the opposition.

4) Keep yourself moving with your team. Ideally, be 400-ish meters from your target, in cover. This yealds best results.

5) Bring literally tons and tons of ammo.

6) Don't use TAG with LRMs.. you need too much time to be out of cover. Use TAG with ATMs on a fast medium such as a Vapor Eagle or Huntsman (Both are absolute slayers by the way)

7) If you want to be aggressive and up-front, it's better you use ATMs.

8) Realize that with LRMs you will not have many kills, but you will have more KMDDs and you will often control the battlefield.

9) To defeat AMS boats like Corsair, Nova or Kitfox, fire large-volume alphas of your LRMs, or time your shots with other Lurmers to get large tubecounts on them and overwhelm their AMS.

#27 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 March 2021 - 12:47 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 14 March 2021 - 06:50 AM, said:

6) Don't use TAG with LRMs.. you need too much time to be out of cover. Use TAG with ATMs on a fast medium such as a Vapor Eagle or Huntsman (Both are absolute slayers by the way)

Have to disagree a bit. If running in a lance then yes don't worry about tag and let your spotter handle it. But if you are solo in quick play no tag means longer locks and less ct hits when you have los and for some mechs like the huntsman its high hardpoints allow for poptart locks with little exposure. It the reason its my primary lrm spam mech due to the mobility and glorious jump jets.

Also IS do have a dedicated lrm spam heavy in the catapult. You can even cram in 4x lrm15 and 8 tons of ammo.

#28 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 02:59 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 14 March 2021 - 06:50 AM, said:

ECM longer locks and less tight grouping use tag

#29 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:21 PM

Lulrm Mechs most a fail and lost tonnage for the Team, most Players have Radar depriv. to full Level or AMS , most maps give no Chances for LRMs (like Solaris,Crimson,River)IS LRMs have 180m minimum Range, and Clan IS have a lower flight and crashes in each Terrain Detail.Lurm Mechs in most direct Conlict Situation helpless Prey

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 14 March 2021 - 09:22 PM.

#30 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:22 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 14 March 2021 - 09:21 PM, said:

Lulrm Mechs most a fail and lost tonnage for the Team, most Players have Radar depriv. to full Level or AMS , most maps give no Chances for LRMs (like Solaris,Crimson,River)IS LRMs have 180m minimum Range, and Clan IS have a lower flight and crashes in each Terrain Detail.

I am not trying to be a **** here but you have no clue how to use them

#31 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:22 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 14 March 2021 - 09:22 PM, said:

I am not trying to be a **** here but you have no clue how to use them

the most players have no clue from LRM mechs and only death weight for her Team ,and thats im dying by LRMs is long time ago ...most Maps have enough Cover and the most Players firing here LRMs only in the Terrain.

#32 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:33 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 14 March 2021 - 11:22 PM, said:

the most players have no clue from LRM mechs and only death weight for her Team ,and thats im dying by LRMs is long time ago ...most Maps have enough Cover and the most Players firing here LRMs only in the Terrain.

If you are a bad player you are always dead team weight no matter the weapon and try using them differently

Edited by SirSmokes, 14 March 2021 - 11:36 PM.

#33 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 March 2021 - 12:12 AM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 14 March 2021 - 11:22 PM, said:

Most players won't do well in any mech with any given loadout so what is your point? If you know what you are doing you can make lrm work even on maps like solaris city if at reduced effectiveness.

#34 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:21 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 14 March 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

Have to disagree a bit. If running in a lance then yes don't worry about tag and let your spotter handle it. But if you are solo in quick play no tag means longer locks and less ct hits when you have los and [...]

View PostSirSmokes, on 14 March 2021 - 02:59 PM, said:

ECM longer locks and less tight grouping use tag

TAG does not work like you think it is since MAR 2019 (see the Patchnotes for reference). Since you have direct LOS when using your own TAG, you don't get any additional bonus. The one thing TAG does is making ECM/Stealth shielded mechs targetable.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 15 March 2021 - 01:21 AM.

#35 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:41 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 March 2021 - 01:21 AM, said:

TAG does not work like you think it is since MAR 2019 (see the Patchnotes for reference). Since you have direct LOS when using your own TAG, you don't get any additional bonus. The one thing TAG does is making ECM/Stealth shielded mechs targetable.

You forgot the most important thing tag dose grouping. You want those missiles as tightly wadded up for those LOS shots. If you get a good dead center shot and lock chances are most will hit CT

Edited by SirSmokes, 15 March 2021 - 01:43 AM.

#36 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:47 AM

View PostSirSmokes, on 15 March 2021 - 01:41 AM, said:

You forgot the most important thing tag dose grouping. You want those missiles as tightly wadded up for those LOS shots. If you get a good dead center shot and lock chances are most will hit CT

It does not.

#37 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:53 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 March 2021 - 01:47 AM, said:

It does not.

This is a problem patch notes say one thing yet in game tool tips seem to think tag dose what it did before. Still take tag ECM targets and will mark targets for your team as well

Edited by SirSmokes, 15 March 2021 - 01:54 AM.

#38 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 01:58 AM

Tag is absolutely necessary just for the ECM thing. It doesn't do much else, but that one thing is HUGE.

#39 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:29 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 March 2021 - 01:21 AM, said:

Well thats interesting and I missed that patch for sure. Hell I think a lot of players don't know and are still using the tool tip even streamers like baradul because he always uses tag and comments its for the faster locks and grouping. Well I guess that is still true but only for other mechs using your tagged target since they get the los bonus if you are also applying tag. But yeah as stated just being able to light up ecm mech is cause enough to use it and its key in rooting out ecm mechs so people notice them.

#40 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:34 AM

I won't debate that. Just putting out the correct information.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users