7 replies to this topic

#1 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:29 AM

One of the often mentioned points from new players is that they are annoyed by Classic BT Mech builds not working in MWO.
One of the main reasons for this is actually one of the main selling points and game contents (sadly so) of MWO, the Mechlab.

The purpose of this thread shall be a compilation of stock or superstock builds that retain the philosophy of the original build but optimize it to an extend that it is usable or even successfull in MWO.
I know that a whole lot of ppl have scand or outright no understanding for this notion and I would beg of them to just stfu Posted Image and walk away...nothing to see here for youPosted Image

Lets begin with the good old Whammy: WHM-6R

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:05 AM

Your Warhammer link seems to be broken.

Anyways, a simple first step for this process is to enable Endo Steel structure and Double Heat Sinks for every mech, since exceptions that don't need them are very rare and those exceptions are unlikely to resemble stock loadouts in the first place.

Actually, just enabling endo and DHS and filling remaining tonnage with armour and whatever else is approppriate goes a damn long way. Many old stock mechs would still be bracket builds mixing dfifferent aiming mechanics and different range brackets, which is strictly a bad thing, but this would still make them a lot less bad. Note that not having structure and heat sinks upgrades or not having weapons with overlapping range profiles make many classic builds really bad in the board game too. There's just no way around how bad many classic mechs are in every game they are in.

Here is my favourite chassis the SHD-2D2 with Endo and DHS enabled, one DHS stripped and armour maximized:
https://mech.nav-alp...a0edc8c_SHD-2D2
The stock weapons loadout is still absolute garbage though, but the mech is no longer crippled by having no armour whatsoever. Next steps would be to first remove the 11th DHS too, then replace the weapons and then frontload the armour.

Another old favourite:
https://mech.nav-alp...19ac0f27_CRB-27
LFF, Endo and DHS. ML and SL replaced with 3ERML to make use of the free tonnage. Maximised armour. Done.
2LPL+3ML is better, but this is closer to stock.

Edited by Gagis, 12 March 2021 - 04:24 AM.

#3 ComstarCustomerService

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 09:45 AM

Many of the smaller mechs can run close to stock if they were laser boats in the first place. DHS, XL engine and/or endosteel mostly allows them to fill up armor and increase their engine rating. They already can't normally afford the big ballistic or missile weapons due to crit space, and ML and MLP are extremely efficient and effective weapons. For that matter SRM equipped lights just need their SRMs upgraded to 6+Artimis. Some of the post clan invasion variants already do some of this.

#4 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 13 March 2021 - 04:56 PM

Remember stock mech mondays? I always managed to miss out on those.

They're almost unplayable now, but it's physics, not the build's fault. I would throw the Jenner in the ring. DHS + XL was about it to run them. (Which I guess in-universe that is alot)

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 14 March 2021 - 05:57 AM

View PostGagis, on 12 March 2021 - 04:05 AM, said:

Your Warhammer link seems to be broken.

hey your're right...it states service unavailable...maybe smurfys burned down to ... -,-

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:16 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 14 March 2021 - 05:57 AM, said:

hey your're right...it states service unavailable...maybe smurfys burned down to ... -,-

Nah, smurphy's fine. Your link must be missing some letters.
Anyway, who uses Smurfy's today? If not for some detailed weapons- and ghostheattables, MechDB is way better.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:34 AM

All my builds are still in smurfy's, but I just came back after 3 years gone. I'll move them over to MechDB soon.

And I'm toying with the idea of making vids of using NOTHING but original tech Battletech. Maybe I could call it "3025 Thursdays". Everyone could tune in and watch me get owned, or gasp in surprise when I don't! Posted Image

#8 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 15 March 2021 - 11:21 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 15 March 2021 - 10:34 AM, said:

All my builds are still in smurfy's, but I just came back after 3 years gone. I'll move them over to MechDB soon.

And I'm toying with the idea of making vids of using NOTHING but original tech Battletech. Maybe I could call it "3025 Thursdays". Everyone could tune in and watch me get owned, or gasp in surprise when I don't! Posted Image

Do this thing, opportunity presenting I may join you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users