Bring Back Scouting Mode

46 replies to this topic

#21 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:59 PM

Damn straight, and make the rewards better.

#22 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:09 PM

View PostGaelicWolf, on 18 May 2021 - 10:14 AM, said:

Kills always trump going for the Objective.

Actually no they don't. Incursion is a good example, I can get over 3,600 XP just by nearly taking out the base single handed.

#23 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 August 2021 - 07:15 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 May 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

. it takes a very special, and i mean special, kind of mechwarrior to get off on dropping, capping, smoke diving, not shooting any robots.

No, it just takes someone with bit intelligence who like to use strategy.

#24 GaelicWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStuck somewhere between a Fantasy and Reality

Posted 08 August 2021 - 09:23 AM

View PostTheStranger, on 07 August 2021 - 07:09 PM, said:

Actually no they don't. Incursion is a good example, I can get over 3,600 XP just by nearly taking out the base single handed.

I agree with you.
Your quote of me isn't taken in context.(scouting)

My point was that if your going to have Objectives other than "KILL "EM ALL"
they should have greater rewards to incentivize that playstyle.

#25 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:40 AM

I just want scouting mode back guys. It’s pretty hard to get a full 12 guys together but I often have 4 on. I have a lot of mew players who want to get deeper into faction play. If we just had scouting back then building a unit or have a small faction play unit would actually be viable.

#26 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:42 PM

If you have 4 people on, just QP. Heck we drop faction with 2 and it's fine most of the time. Just no to scouting, it's a waste of time as a mode.

#27 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 11:56 PM

View PostNightbird, on 08 August 2021 - 06:42 PM, said:

If you have 4 people on, just QP. Heck we drop faction with 2 and it's fine most of the time. Just no to scouting, it's a waste of time as a mode.

If the rewards and reason to scout were worth it then it's clearly not a waste of time. And for small units it's the best way to get faction experience points

#28 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,973 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:14 AM

They have had scouting a few times in the past 12 months (correct me if I am wrong)

I played once the other one I missed

if I am not mistaken they shut down the regular FP and had Scouting ? well that pissed off a lot of die hard FP players

I like scouting its a nice change of pace
it would be nice to bring it back for a bit

but I would hope they would not shut down regular FP if they do bring it back

#29 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 06:31 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 09 August 2021 - 12:14 AM, said:

They have had scouting a few times in the past 12 months (correct me if I am wrong)

I played once the other one I missed

if I am not mistaken they shut down the regular FP and had Scouting ? well that pissed off a lot of die hard FP players

I like scouting its a nice change of pace
it would be nice to bring it back for a bit

but I would hope they would not shut down regular FP if they do bring it back

Agreed! They need to add scouting back as a permanent game mode in addition to invasion!

#30 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:41 AM

Scouting added some things you just can’t get elsewhere. A 4 v 4 mode with only lights and mediums (mainly). People don’t have to like the mode (it wasn’t perfect) to know that many others did. The idea behind eliminating it was to increase numbers in the main FW queue. However, it’s elimination helped kill off some smaller and/or newer units that liked and used it, so the idea that one less bucket will automatically mean greater main queue numbers is dubious in retrospect…..players just went inactive in some cases and in some cases they became mainly QP and didn’t jump into the main queue. When scouting left we lost a mode with a different flavor. Players who don’t like it don’t have to play it and it was never so big that it hugely detracted from the main queue, under any circumstance.

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 09 August 2021 - 07:54 AM.

#31 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:26 AM

Don't rewrite history please. Scouting was fine when it had its own queue, no one played it. The problem was when PGI removed the separate queue and made Scouting replace the 12vs12 main queue every once in a while, and most people hate scouting so we had PGI remove it as a choice. If you want Scouting back as a separate queue, fine, no one will play it anyways. Try to replace the main queue and we have enough people to kill it instantly.

#32 GaelicWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 150 posts
  • LocationStuck somewhere between a Fantasy and Reality

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:26 AM

View PostNightbird, on 09 August 2021 - 09:26 AM, said:

Don't rewrite history please. Scouting was fine when it had its own queue, no one played it. The problem was when PGI removed the separate queue and made Scouting replace the 12vs12 main queue every once in a while, and most people hate scouting so we had PGI remove it as a choice. If you want Scouting back as a separate queue, fine, no one will play it anyways. Try to replace the main queue and we have enough people to kill it instantly.

See this is what happens when you generalize without data. You end up sounding pretentious and condescending.

1. You say no one played it. I beg to differ. many a night the Scouting que was fuller than the Faction que.
2. You say that most people hate Scouting. Care to back that up with numbers, See Point one.
3. If Scouting were to come back, People would play it as it is a different style of game play that appeals to some of the market.

Also, who is this "We" you speak off? Do you work for PGI? If not, do you have some magic influence with them?

#33 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:53 AM

I'd be real curious how many of you who are asking for scouting back were actually playing it before it got removed. Clearly it wasn't enough for PGI to bother to keep it around.

#34 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 01:53 PM

View PostNightbird, on 09 August 2021 - 09:26 AM, said:

Separate que, it would be stupid if it replaced the normal que.

#35 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 02:02 PM

View PostJohn Bronco, on 09 August 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

I'd be real curious how many of you who are asking for scouting back were actually playing it before it got removed. Clearly it wasn't enough for PGI to bother to keep it around.

As a religious scout myself I can vouch that Alexandros the starter of this thread was in many lobbies with me.

#36 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:08 PM

I hate scouting, too easy to game the game.

#37 Diomedes Of The Great War Cry

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 05:20 PM

View PostvonJerg, on 09 August 2021 - 04:08 PM, said:

I hate scouting, too easy to game the game.

Then just don’t play. Just because one person doesn’t enjoy it doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be brought back for others to enjoy.

#38 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,973 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:05 PM

View PostJohn Bronco, on 09 August 2021 - 11:53 AM, said:

you would have had to been around when scouting first started to understand how things played out

thinking back I did not complain about the long tom mostly because I was playing scouting

at least the first 2 months was almost always scouting

a few things I remember (correct me if I am wrong)

1) if you dropped against a 4 man you where in for a hard time
2) the gap between Clan and IS was fairly large (I reconfigured all my IS scouting mechs)
3) the doom crow was OP until it was banned form scouting (not exactly but the result was the doom crow was excluded from scouting)
4) scouting's rule set was so strange you got tired trying to explain it so the mode degraded to just kill the mechs
5) try hards have/had this thing about crapping on anything PGI did or tried to do
6) if you dropped with try hards they would crap on you if you did not play like they wanted

anyways what some of us are saying is if PGI brought back scouting independent of FP and on a limited basis who would it hurt ??

how about changing scouting to just 4v4 ? who would it hurt ?

Edited by Davegt27, 10 August 2021 - 03:55 PM.

#39 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:50 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 09 August 2021 - 08:05 PM, said:

you would have had to been around when scouting first started to understand how things played out

thinking back I did not complain about the long tom mostly because I was playing scouting

at least the first 2 months was almost always scouting

a few things I remember (correct me if I am wrong)

1) if you dropped against a 4 man you where in for a hard time
2) the gap between Clan and IS was fairly large (I reconfigured all my IS scouting mechs)
3) the doom crow was OP until it was banned form scouting (not exactly but the result was the doom crow was excluded from scouting)
4) scouting's rule set was so strange you got tired trying it explain it so the mode degraded to just kill the mechs
5) try hards have/had this thing about crapping on anything PGI did or tried to do
6) if you dropped with try hards they would crap on you if you did not play like they wanted

anyways what some of us are saying is if PGI brought back scouting independent of FP and on a limited basis who would it hurt ??

how about changing scouting to just 4v4 ? who would it hurt ?

It would hurt no one to bring it back! So on a base level there is no reason not too.

#40 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:54 AM

Sure bring scouting back BUT only when there's a significant increase in Faction Play's population, which hopefully would happen in the near future from Cauldron changes. The main issue I had with Scouting was that some small groups would queue for Scouting instead of Invasion because they saw a big group join the Invasion queue and they want to avoid them. During certain hours when Faction Play is quieter this leads to less Invasion games because there just isn't enough players in the queue. So no to Scouting for now.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users