Fix Your Game

17 replies to this topic

#1 Darion Rothgarr

• PipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:15 PM

For the upteenth match in the last few days, there has been some sort og horrible LAG that is making this game hard to play. And i know its not on my end. Other peoplke in the game notice rubberbanding, hit registry issues, sudden spikes in LAG......

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

I think there's just things that understandably beyond PGI's control, like their EU Server burning down. If PGI's servers are fine, and your PC is fine, there must be the things in the middle that is the issue, and complaining to PGI isn't going to get that fixed any time soon.

But if nothing else, do yourself a favor and stop playing the game until that it's actually better.

#3 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:36 PM

When I was in Darkfall Unholy War Beta, the servers got super laggy, and they said it was because they were running in debug mode...

Just makes me wonder if there's something going on with debugging MW5 right now, which is taking up the PTS server, and causing NA lag...

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:22 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 05 April 2021 - 06:36 PM, said:

When I was in Darkfall Unholy War Beta, the servers got super laggy, and they said it was because they were running in debug mode...

Just makes me wonder if there's something going on with debugging MW5 right now, which is taking up the PTS server, and causing NA lag...

I would be VERY surprised if the two games used the same infrastructure. Perhaps the same data center, yes, but not the same servers.

This mess strikes me as either trouble with the game servers themselves or trouble with the networking gear at the data center hosting the servers. Notably it happens with the North America servers and not the others, AFAIK, hence the assumption. If it was the server code, you’d think it would affect EU and Oceanic too, so assumption is physical hardware or local network... and all PGI can do if that’s the case is gnash their teeth while the provider fixes it.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:26 PM

Oh and if neither PGI nor their data center host can figure it out... I’m available at a very reasonable rate! Well... reasonable to ME anyway! Posted Image

#6 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:06 PM

Server issues are unfortunately something that isn't entire under PGI's control.

#7 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:06 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 05 April 2021 - 08:22 PM, said:

I would be VERY surprised if the two games used the same infrastructure. Perhaps the same data center, yes, but not the same servers.

This mess strikes me as either trouble with the game servers themselves or trouble with the networking gear at the data center hosting the servers. Notably it happens with the North America servers and not the others, AFAIK, hence the assumption. If it was the server code, you’d think it would affect EU and Oceanic too, so assumption is physical hardware or local network... and all PGI can do if that’s the case is gnash their teeth while the provider fixes it.

I have no idea, tbh.. but I know the PTS server isn't available, and that's the same as NA right?
It could just be that the downgraded their servers years ago and they need to upgrade them now?
It could be DDOS attacks from communist China.

I dunno. Just throwing out ideas.

#8 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:13 AM

I would suspect that PGI is using cloud services, not dedicated boxes. Which would make performance dependent on what other services are running in the cloud.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:58 AM

View PostLanzman, on 06 April 2021 - 06:13 AM, said:

I would suspect that PGI is using cloud services, not dedicated boxes. Which would make performance dependent on what other services are running in the cloud.

Even cloud services are going to be powered by VMware or something similar. For all intents and purposes they are dedicated boxes, but ones that can borrow CPU and memory from a common pool when under heavy load. And it would be a cheap game company indeed who shares a common CPU/memory pool with clients other than themselves. Posted Image

That said, hardware problems still exist, even for ESX hosts. Still, I'm more inclined to think their local network is slammed, and that could be hardware, firmware, or just heavy traffic to someone else hosted in the same data center.

#10 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

Daeron mentioned in an interview at Phil's channel that they are investigating the performance dip but he suspects they might just need an upgrade to handle the resurgence of player interest.

#11 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

View PostGagis, on 06 April 2021 - 10:55 AM, said:

Daeron mentioned in an interview at Phil's channel that they are investigating the performance dip but he suspects they might just need an upgrade to handle the resurgence of player interest.

Daeron is a very optimistic fellow. Posted Image

#12 Shock21

• PipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:31 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 05 April 2021 - 06:36 PM, said:

This makes no sense at all. MW5 doesn't even have servers. And they definitely aren't doing development testing on a remote server farm

#13 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

So in order to kill all the hype they've built up over the April patch, PGI has burned the NA server to the ground.

#14 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:44 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 06 April 2021 - 10:57 AM, said:

Daeron is a very optimistic fellow. Posted Image

Too optimistic given PGI's track record.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:41 PM

From Mike Forst twitter account

Mike Forst

@PGI_MikeForst

Today on “When #MWO Capacity Planning Goes Wrong, N+1 Edition”: we found out the hard way that we actually have N+.95 capacity, and only found out due to a fault which occurred in an atypical way that evaded tests. 1/x

This new factor has been accounted for now and the capacity plan is being updated. We are also taking the opportunity to modernize some of the hardware platforms because hey, we’re already working on this so we might as well as do it all instead of half now and half later. 3/x

We hope to get the new stuff up and running for tonight. I hate to promise it for today just because my long history with computers has taught me that the term ETA is actually a curse with terrible powers which will strive to undo all your good works. 4/x

The above 3 hours ago, but about a few minutes ago around 6:30pm CST on MWO twitter account the following

We did it! We've deployed the NA servers to new hardware! We're super excited for smooth gaming, extra redundancy, and that new hardware smell! Take the new DS's for a spin tonight and let us know what you think! #MWO #MechWarrior

#16 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

Here's hoping! Test drive commencing.

#17 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

Hopefully new means brand new and not some thing like we got one from a pawn shop new.

#18 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:59 PM

Every ones complaining about lag but the last few days i've had none.. weird as an Aussie i deal with this daily but nothings changed my end game wise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users