14 replies to this topic

#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:14 AM

To some it's going to sound pretty petty...

The reality is I stopped playing because I got tired of wrestling with the garbage Epic launcher. It seemed like every freaking day the launch wants to update, the update fails and I have to drop a opt out argument into the target field just to play the damn game.

Which is sad... One should not have too bend the knee to any intermediary to enjoy something they paid for.

And before anyone asks... Yes, I tried reaching out to Epic, read their trouble shooting guide etc. That effort was as useless as lips on a pig.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

Well, last time I checked, MW5 could be launched without the epic launcher.

#3 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:01 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 12 April 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

Well, last time I checked, MW5 could be launched without the epic launcher.

Then you know something I don't... When I launch MW5, it automatically starts the launcher, it fails with a SU-PQR1603 error and goes no further unless I edit in the "-SkipBuildPatchPrereq" argument.

Been this way since day 1.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:08 AM

Gotta let the Epic launcher scan your emails first to make sure you're not a dissident.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,788 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

to be fair, i have that problem with steam and every other piece of seldom used software with an auto-updater.

#6 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 12 April 2021 - 06:37 PM, said:

to be fair, i have that problem with steam and every other piece of seldom used software with an auto-updater.

I've never had any issues with any other launcher platform other than Epic... That said, I've really only used Steam for VR and stand-alone games so I guess I'll have to color myself lucky. Posted Image

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,788 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:18 PM

View PostDaZur, on 12 April 2021 - 09:44 PM, said:

I've never had any issues with any other launcher platform other than Epic... That said, I've really only used Steam for VR and stand-alone games so I guess I'll have to color myself lucky. Posted Image

i generally dont play my steam games very often so there is always at least a client update when i launch steam. i think i have it set to not automatically update games though. no sense loading updates im not going to use, especially if its going to get one or more updates before i use it again. and luck has nothing to do with it, its all about your update settings. i like my software to stay dormant when im not using them. and yes sometimes that means waiting an hour for an update. i usually plan accordingly (like check its upload status a few hours before i intend to play and let the updater run if it needs to).

also i checked my services just now, seems steam has a resident service, which is not currently running. i couldn't find an obvious one for epic though. nor could i find an obvious running process for either. compared to some other things im running (chrome, oculus, a number of licensing services for software i have uninstalled, etc), these game launchers seem to be the least intrusive things on my machine. or so it seems, so long as they are overt about it im fine with it, but when you have random hash service names with no credentials, i usually remove those.

still cant fault epic for doing things that everything else does.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 April 2021 - 01:23 PM.

#8 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 April 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

still cant fault epic for doing things that everything else does.

Fault them no... Like you stated, it's now the norm. That said, dependency upon a ridged launcher just to play a game one paid for is a ever increasing slippery slope that has me questioning my original positive stance on the business model that Epic, Origin and Steam provide.

#9 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

*** Update ***

Sighted a new Epic launcher install on MajorGeeks and low and behold... For the first time since I installed on December 10th of 2019, the launcher doesn't crap out and require jacking around with launch arguments to actually play.

Small miracles DO happen! Posted Image

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,788 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:06 PM

View PostDaZur, on 15 April 2021 - 06:39 PM, said:

Fault them no... Like you stated, it's now the norm. That said, dependency upon a ridged launcher just to play a game one paid for is a ever increasing slippery slope that has me questioning my original positive stance on the business model that Epic, Origin and Steam provide.

yea i think were already headed to a ready player one type dystopia. so long as "the new way of doing things" is praised by people who don't understand what is really being asked of them, it will continue.

#11 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:32 AM

Hey guys, for your consideration:

I play MWO exclusively via Steam Client, no problems at all!
Patching is smooth, no issues for MWO !

View PostLordNothing, on 12 April 2021 - 06:37 PM, said:

#12 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:57 AM

That's why we try to buy from GOG.com whenever possible; you truly own your own game!

Future-proof the game--if/when game maker dies, game server switches off, GOG.com version of the games would not check for server approval before installing/activation of game!
ie: The game you bought from GOG.com is truly yours to keep!

View PostDaZur, on 15 April 2021 - 06:39 PM, said:

#13 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

View Postw0qj, on 16 April 2021 - 07:57 AM, said:

That's why we try to buy from GOG.com whenever possible; you truly own your own game!

Future-proof the game--if/when game maker dies, game server switches off, GOG.com version of the games would not check for server approval before installing/activation of game!

Yup, GoG is one of the few that does the model justice. Sadly, it's rarely used for new releases...

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:05 PM

View Postw0qj, on 16 April 2021 - 07:57 AM, said:

I wish I understood what you said but it sounds like good news
I am old and I am very very reluctantly being pulled into this modern way of doing things
I would be happy with the 2014 version of MWO

I did not buy MW5 because I would have to get married to the company, I just want to pay money for a game and be on my way (hard copy)
last year I bought Sub Nautica and after the updates the game is unplayable

I would love the old days when you bought a game at best buy and that was it

#15 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:20 PM

Actually some games on GOG do check for servers, some now like Outer Worlds were shown needing Epic Launcher though PGI claims it should not for MW5 and there is now former GOG supporters who are angry at GOG for selling games with DRM.

Launcher updates, not the only ones. I used to have nVidia auto-update but then when it did, something I was running like MWO would lag out. When it is an update for graphics drivers, it is worse. I swear some programs like MWO seem to sense when a graphics driver needs updating a day before the actual update is available as shown by lag that 'magically' goes away once the new driver is installed.

View PostDavegt27, on 16 April 2021 - 01:05 PM, said:

I would love the old days when you bought a game at best buy and that was it

You can do that, you just have to be picky, take time to actually research a game to know which ones are worth it.

Edited by Wildstreak, 16 April 2021 - 06:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users