Matches Have 10 Heavies/assaults On Each Side So Frequently...

86 replies to this topic

#81 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:25 PM

I'm a returning player and over the many other changes that have taken place, the one that I noticed the most in changing how the game is played is the drift toward heavier tonnage. It's made a bigger difference than all the quirks and rebalances and whatever else that has happened.

MWO never (or not for some time at least) had a strict tonnage restriction though the queue favors balancing out the weight classes. I recall when the Kodiak first released and everybody was getting melted with 4x UAC-10s, and it was not uncommon to have matches with 10-12 kodiaks per team. Similar things happened on various iconic mech releases, but the Kodiak is where I truly felt it because of how OP it was on release. We all realized tonnage balance in the queue was more of a "should" instead of a "shall."

I feel whatever queue settings they've tweaked since I last played, the game has drifted further toward allowing heavier tonnage to the point that I fear if I join as a light or medium, I will not have any light or mediums to face, and will just be trying to survive between all the assaults and heavies.

Edited by Moldur, 01 June 2021 - 12:25 PM.

#82 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 12:34 PM

View Post1453 R, on 01 June 2021 - 07:18 AM, said:

Heh. That's a fair shake. I don't necessarily agree, but I'm also one of those who believes MWO is at its best when multiple smaller fights happen all over the map rather than just one big infuriating flip-a-coin Combat Blob in the middle. When people engage each other in ones, twos or threes as they push and jockey for position instead of just waiting for lucky entropy to do their work for them and try to force a whole-*** full company fight. Domination makes that fundamentally impossible so I hate it, but what's my opinion matter? Heh, I'm a bargain basement jackhole back after three years away from this mess, so eh.

Sounds like you'd enjoy MWO more with respawns.

#83 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:06 PM

View Post1453 R, on 01 June 2021 - 07:18 AM, said:

Heh. That's a fair shake. I don't necessarily agree, but I'm also one of those who believes MWO is at its best when multiple smaller fights happen all over the map rather than just one big infuriating flip-a-coin Combat Blob in the middle. When people engage each other in ones, twos or threes as they push and jockey for position instead of just waiting for lucky entropy to do their work for them and try to force a whole-*** full company fight. Domination makes that fundamentally impossible so I hate it, but what's my opinion matter? Heh, I'm a bargain basement jackhole back after three years away from this mess, so eh.

Domination in other games are split between at least three or more capture points backed by respawns. The capture points are in an odd number so the one with one more capture point will get the edge when the ticker starts counting. This forces teams to end up splitting into multiple battles all over the map.

#84 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:10 PM

View PostMoldur, on 01 June 2021 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm a returning player and over the many other changes that have taken place, the one that I noticed the most in changing how the game is played is the drift toward heavier tonnage. It's made a bigger difference than all the quirks and rebalances and whatever else that has happened.

MWO never (or not for some time at least) had a strict tonnage restriction though the queue favors balancing out the weight classes. I recall when the Kodiak first released and everybody was getting melted with 4x UAC-10s, and it was not uncommon to have matches with 10-12 kodiaks per team. Similar things happened on various iconic mech releases, but the Kodiak is where I truly felt it because of how OP it was on release. We all realized tonnage balance in the queue was more of a "should" instead of a "shall."

I feel whatever queue settings they've tweaked since I last played, the game has drifted further toward allowing heavier tonnage to the point that I fear if I join as a light or medium, I will not have any light or mediums to face, and will just be trying to survive between all the assaults and heavies.

Game is turning full circle again. Back in the old days its all about the Atlases and the Atlas in particular that has the ECM. The fond days of the smaller mechs hugging within the ECM bubble of the Atlas DDC and moving in unison.

#85 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:41 PM

View PostAnjian, on 01 June 2021 - 07:06 PM, said:

Domination in other games are split between at least three or more capture points backed by respawns. The capture points are in an odd number so the one with one more capture point will get the edge when the ticker starts counting. This forces teams to end up splitting into multiple battles all over the map.

That sounds like Conquest in MWO. Domination is more like a "King of the Hill" mode.

#86 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:13 PM

View PostEscef, on 01 June 2021 - 08:41 PM, said:

That sounds like Conquest in MWO. Domination is more like a "King of the Hill" mode.

That's correct. Domination in other games is Conquest in MWO, and King of the HIll in other games is Domination in MWO.

#87 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 10:19 PM

Dropdeck limited respawns in quickplay would fix a lot of the game's problems. Objectives would actually matter.

Without respawns every gamemode just devolves into skirmish.

Edited by Khobai, 01 June 2021 - 10:20 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users