Xbox Controls Are Trash. Literal Trash.

22 replies to this topic

#1 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 27 May 2021 - 11:05 PM

Im not trying to beat you up PGI, but really. The xbox port is near unplayable.
I can't get the jav you start with the flick left and right with my right stick. Its excruciatingly slow.
I turned up to max sensitivity settings and they did jack to help.

I am so very confused as to how the same exact controller can work fantastically on the epic port, but when i tried the console version, you stick me with extremely sluggish targeting, an over zealous throttle and super twitchy legs? I feel like you spent all that time and money you got from EB7 on hookers and blow instead of actually making the game work on consoles.

To make it worse, there is no option to resize the viewable screen area. So all the corners are being clipped right the hell off. Cant see how many cbills i have or half the menu for that matter. The mechbay is super tricky to navigate and just applying colors to mechs is an ordeal. Like wtf man?

Also the 4 axis button menu thats always present on screen is kind of insulting: making it appear as if xbox owners have never mapped their own controls on other xbox games. It would be nice if it appears to show you what it does like a mini tutorial, and then disappeared. Better yet. Let us map our controls ourselves. Said buttons and menu are also super twitchy.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:57 AM

i noticed they added an aimbot to the options menu. for game pad users i presume. might want to check if thats on by default on xbox. might be interfering with things.

pgi never really understood the joystick, and if you look at their dev staff, most of them were born after the golden age of the joystick. i figured after mangling the pc joystick support they would have an easier time with the dumbed down xinput libs that xbox uses, but nope.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 May 2021 - 01:00 AM.

#3 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 02:57 AM

You know something funny? After ALOT of tweaking and the aimbot set to high; you can shoot in any general direction and destroy a tank or vtol.

I am an experienced mech jock. Most new players are gonna HATE the default settings, since they probably wont know how to correct for the twitchy legs or the throttle.

#4 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:45 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 May 2021 - 12:57 AM, said:

i noticed they added an aimbot to the options menu. for game pad users i presume. might want to check if thats on by default on xbox. might be interfering with things.

pgi never really understood the joystick, and if you look at their dev staff, most of them were born after the golden age of the joystick.

There is some truth in this - the best Joystick controls for car racing and flight sims i experienced where in Geoff Crammonds F1 GP, Red Baron and Falcon 3.0 (stopped playing them after this one) which are childs of the 90s.

Since then whenever i played a game that still had Joystick support it felt gradually becoming worse each time.

With the popularity of console Controlers you need heavy handed help for everything as these things are so inacurate beyond help but when you have never experienced good Joystick Controls its hard to imagine some out of nowhere.

An example of progress degrading things on its way...

PS: Still was unable to experience Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS Setup bcs i had more urgent things to buy...i hate playing it with Controler or Mouse/KB.

Edited by Thorqemada, 28 May 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#5 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:32 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 28 May 2021 - 08:45 AM, said:

There is some truth in this - the best Joystick controls for car racing and flight sims i experienced where in Geoff Crammonds F1 GP, Red Baron and Falcon 3.0 (stopped playing them after this one) which are childs of the 90s.

Since then whenever i played a game that still had Joystick support it felt gradually becoming worse each time.

With the popularity of console Controlers you need heavy handed help for everything as these things are so inacurate beyond help but when you have never experienced good Joystick Controls its hard to imagine some out of nowhere.

An example of progress degrading things on its way...

PS: Still was unable to experience Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS Setup bcs i had more urgent things to buy...i hate playing it with Controler or Mouse/KB.

been wanting to swap out my 15 year old ch controllers for a long time. but the price of a joystick that is actually better is astronomical.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 02:04 PM

I had CH Flightstick equipment but it was so old it used still the MIDI port of the Soundcards as connection - i never switched til i stopped using them. :D

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:19 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 28 May 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

I had CH Flightstick equipment but it was so old it used still the MIDI port of the Soundcards as connection - i never switched til i stopped using them. Posted Image

they switched to usb before i got my controllers. they all still work, but some of the pots are old and fuzzy. i had spares but they weren't in any better shape. thought about doing hall sensor conversions on all the controllers, but idk how to do that without breaking the control manager software. getting 1:1 range mapping (critical because the mcu they use only have 8-bit adcs) would require a number of voltage references including at least one negative reference if i were to use the stock micros. alternatively i could use a 3rd party mapping software (like freepie) and do a complete swap of the electronics. id probibly just use an atmega32u4 based arduino clone and use some high end adcs (i got a 16-bit delta sigma adc somewhere). i already wrote a 16 bit joystick library to import all the necessary usb descriptors. then at that point i might as well swing for some cnc machined gimbals because the abs gimbals are too old and worn out to make use of the extra precision.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 May 2021 - 06:21 PM.

#8 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:21 PM

I will say this: the new loading screen dioramas are cool as hell. Really revs my nuclear engine.

#9 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:09 PM

Aaahh, the fun of using third party stuff...the best Force Feedback Steering Wheel i had was a no name Win95 based massive forcefull heavy beast of metal and it did run with Win98 but for Win XP it ever only had a limited inofficial driver...i dont remeber the name and i stopped playing serious racing games on PC after i drove real world carts for some years until it became to expensive.

The later plastic steering wheels were all weak, inacurate and cheap...even expensive ones.

Now i cant get through a corner without feeling the world turning upside down...well...it saves me money.

I wonder if people today know what Foirce Feedback means - oh yeah - vibrating controlers... :D

For CH the Flightsticks i allways had trouble with the handle that was to weak at the base as it sawed itself at the edges of its case of the joystick feet until they thickened the edges ot make it slide along instead of sawing itself.

Dear memories... :)

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:21 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 28 May 2021 - 08:09 PM, said:

Aaahh, the fun of using third party stuff...the best Force Feedback Steering Wheel i had was a no name Win95 based massive forcefull heavy beast of metal and it did run with Win98 but for Win XP it ever only had a limited inofficial driver...i dont remeber the name and i stopped playing serious racing games on PC after i drove real world carts for some years until it became to expensive.

The later plastic steering wheels were all weak, inacurate and cheap...even expensive ones.

Now i cant get through a corner without feeling the world turning upside down...well...it saves me money.

I wonder if people today know what Foirce Feedback means - oh yeah - vibrating controlers... Posted Image

For CH the Flightsticks i allways had trouble with the handle that was to weak at the base as it sawed itself at the edges of its case of the joystick feet until they thickened the edges ot make it slide along instead of sawing itself.

Dear memories... Posted Image

force feedback was better in the 90s. i used to have a sidewinder force feedback stick and that thing was awesome. you could tell where you were getting shot from by the way your stick deflected. vibration motors are weaksauce in comparison. i think it even came with a copy of mechwarrior 2.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 May 2021 - 08:23 PM.

#11 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 05:10 AM

So true and i think Microsoft is at fault...

#12 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 07:55 AM

This doesn't sound encouraging. but if there is going to be any problems with mine. this will be good to know where to call.

#13 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 29 May 2021 - 08:11 AM

I do have to agree. The Xbox controls don't feel good at all.

Initially torso twist was fast enough, but after the first mission it changed to be painfully slow. Hoping they will patch the Xbox controller functionality because its rough..

#14 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:11 AM

It gets even worse when you pick up an assault mech.
On my gaming pc, every stalker that i pick up is pretty snappy with torso movement. The xbox version is both a pain and requires me to stop moving to turn the entire mech to face the inevitable circle of death.

#15 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 04:33 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 29 May 2021 - 05:10 AM, said:

So true and i think Microsoft is at fault...

the irony is that microsoft used to make really good joysticks. they used the same kind of optical sensors that modern mice take for granted, they had higher than 8-bit resolution on the x and y axis, my ch controllers dont even have that. their pcbs were all populated with modern surface mount components. a modernish saitek looks archaic in comparison when you look at its internals. ch controllers are a bit more clean because they have a unified mobo design across all their models, and socket for an mcu with the correct firmware for the model, but even that looks dated compared to a '90s ms stick. their joystick api crisis is probibly why they havent updated flight sim in over 10 years. they used to update that as frequently as windows at one point.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 May 2021 - 04:34 PM.

#16 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:12 PM

I hope this is considered somewhat positive critisim and that PGI seriously looks at the issue.

#17 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:42 AM

Sorry you are having problems with your controller, but don't expect PGI to move quickly on a solution.

Here is a thread on joystick problems that has had over 26,000 views, and they still have not stabilized the controller issues.
https://mwomercs.com...arounds-thread/

I had high hopes that these controller issues would be addressed in the much delayed DLC release (Lord knows they had enough time to do something about it), but according to some of the feedback I have seen - - same problems remain.

Guess I'll wait for some of the wrinkles in the DLC release to get ironed out before I jump on that wagon.
Hopefully the fixes will also address controller issues.

Peace

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,786 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:42 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 03 June 2021 - 06:42 AM, said:

Sorry you are having problems with your controller, but don't expect PGI to move quickly on a solution.

Here is a thread on joystick problems that has had over 26,000 views, and they still have not stabilized the controller issues.
https://mwomercs.com...arounds-thread/

I had high hopes that these controller issues would be addressed in the much delayed DLC release (Lord knows they had enough time to do something about it), but according to some of the feedback I have seen - - same problems remain.

Guess I'll wait for some of the wrinkles in the DLC release to get ironed out before I jump on that wagon.
Hopefully the fixes will also address controller issues.

Peace

not sure my thread applies to the xbox port. though i suspect their dead zone is too big and their response curves are nonlinear.

#19 Hedy Metal

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of Canada

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:37 PM

I don't know, I just dloaded it last night via XB-GamePass because its free. First thing I did was get an Atlas into some Instant Action on huge map with healthy number of foes. Torso twisting seemed about right. I did turn off some of the defaults like throttle decay and a few others I can't recall. Note I hardly spent any time with the PC version despite dloading it free from Win-GamePass, because I could never get my HOTAS (Joystick, Throttle quad + rudder pedals) optimized for it. So I can't make a performance comparison between it and the XB1 version.

I'm running it with an Xbox 1 X, so I'm wondering if the OP is running it with that edition, or an original XB1 or S? I ask because I read a number of player reviews about graphics slow down, but I never experienced any.

[Edit] Controller and other play issues aside, does anyone know why the XB1 version is so much smaller in disk space consumption? The Win edition took up over 50 GB of my SSD, but the XB version is only just over 20 GB. I'd make the obvious assumption is that there's less content for the XB1 version, but I haven't read anything that seems to confirm that. Or is it possible that space for the now released DLC was pre-allocated with the Win edition? If so, it wouldn't be the 1st time I've encountered that with a game.

Edited by Hedy Metal, 03 June 2021 - 01:18 PM.

#20 Hedy Metal

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWest Coast of Canada

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 27 May 2021 - 11:05 PM, said:

To make it worse, there is no option to resize the viewable screen area. So all the corners are being clipped right the hell off. Cant see how many cbills i have or half the menu for that matter. The mechbay is super tricky to navigate and just applying colors to mechs is an ordeal. Like wtf man?

Yep, I did noticed this and it's annoying. I've seen the same on a few other XB1 games at launch, but it was fixed within the month. Here's hoping that PGI can do the same or leverage a dev studio with some experience patching it. I ditto the skeptical sentiments of others here though, based upon little to no action by them on the Win HOTAS problems / shortcomings. I've seen smaller dev studios like Rockfish and 3Division implement some impressive HOTAS support post release and that was done within a year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users