BattleMechs

82 replies to this topic

#61 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 12:51 AM

when the scoring system rewards you primarily for doing individual damage and nothing else of course people are going to be yolo solo with their mentality. all they care about is their damage score and nothing else really. they will throw their whole team under the bus if it means they can abandon the front line to chase a light and get an extra kill.

the scoring system shouldnt be individually based IMO. it should reward you based on how your team performs as a whole. everybody should get the same score based on their teams aggregate performance. That might sound unfair but its a team game so you cant win on your own anyway. besides its the only way youre ever going to get people to help slow assaults because theyll be afraid their score will drop if that assault dies. MWO needs a social credit system for scoring that punishes people who dont do whats best for the team. Team above all. Down with capitalistic scoring.

For tier rating the only thing it should be looking at is W/L ratio anyway. If youre good your team will win more often with you on it. And if youre bad your team will win less often with you on it. match score shouldnt even be a factor in tier rating. Pretty much all ELO based ranking systems are based entirely on W/L ratio and nothing else.

Edited by Khobai, 03 June 2021 - 01:54 AM.

#62 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:43 AM

View PostKhobai, on 03 June 2021 - 12:51 AM, said:

when the scoring system rewards you primarily for doing individual damage and nothing else of course people are going to be yolo solo with their mentality. all they care about is their damage score and nothing else really. they will throw their whole team under the bus if it means they can abandon the front line to chase a light and get an extra kill.

This is false.

Bad players might chase a light, but good players know that chasing a light does not provide you with a high enough return on investment. The return being the small amount of damage they will harvest from killing a light, the investment being getting completely out of position, probably leaving hard cover and providing free damage to enemy LRM boats, and also wasting time that could be spent harvesting damage from heavies and assaults.

If you are in a light or fast medium, sure chase the light away. Others, shoot the light to discourage it from harassing you, and then get back to shooting the other bad guys.

#63 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:12 PM

Incorrect. Not the part about the return on investment. It's true that fighting lights is bad for your match score. Lights speed tank, which means missed shots which means damage not done, and it's not like you're not getting shot, so you're more messed up and thus more likely to die in future fights.

I mean it's incorrect to assume that good players'll always do what is best for match score. Some may care more about win/loss ratio, and may decide to keep the light offa their backline, or maybe it's skirmish and they don't wanna spend five minutes hunting down that stealth flea later.

~Leone.

#64 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:17 PM

I just want to redact my loadout of quad UAC10. Lat I played a DWF, it was clan invasion lol. Sometime between years ago and now, UAC10 ghost heat got SPIKED. Yikes. Anyway, I swapped two of them for UAC5's and loaded up a DWF for the first time in years, complete with laserfists(it's 8btw) and used the extra tonnage for some DHS.
Yeah, it doesn't pound face like it used to. But then, I guess that was the point of putting the DWF in time out wasn't it? On the plus side, with some DHS you can fire laserfists at pretty much any opportunity.
I ran a few different loadouts tonight, the one above, plus I did a few others for lulz. 6xLBX5's, 2UAC10, 2AC5, 2UAC2's....quad goose(that was actually potent, but short lived and ammo needy) all of them sort of play the same though. I think my favorite for lulz was the 6x LBX5 loadout. NO HEAT, I mean, at all, and it's funny to watch people squirm under chainfire, 6 of them is enough to just keep shooting. It's wimpy, of a sorts.... the DPS is fine, but this game has morphed into alphastrikes or die so DPS won;t help much.
I imagine it would perform best with some dakka and some laservomit or PPC's. But then, you can run mixed loadouts on anything else, mostly.
I really hope the mobility patch takes DWF our of time out. Everything about it that was good, including the loadouts, has been nerfed over the years. I mean you can still puke 300 damage out if you are't focused down, but it's not particularily effective damage.

Oh, and PREMADES are the players that flat out ignore you. I learned that tonight. They just trot on their merry way and pretend you don;t exist. I mean that's true for anything, but in a DWF you have a much different perspective on it when it takes 3 minutes just to catch up, and a lot of times you are better off not trying to catch up, seriously. Watch where they go and pre-emptive flank maneuver or set up a surprise fire line when they draw the attention. There is a method to playing with premade groups, and it is to use them more then they think they are using you. Most pugs don;t get that so we get mass chaos mostly.

What I can say, without a doubt, is that jumping into a mech that I haven't played since pre-meganerfs with loadouts I have never tried made me feel very, very rusty. And I used to be an outstanding Surprise Atlas player lol. Oh well, several years of other games and changes to this one have "made it fresh" of a sorts I suppose.

#65 Rex Matador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:37 PM

View PostMark Yore, on 29 May 2021 - 01:15 AM, said:

So I'm about halfway through skilling up my Dire Wolf and I'm still having problems loving it.

It's not fast and it tends to get chopped to pieces by lights.. I can't find a weapon set that really works and if it's not the lights it's the constant LRM rain.

I love my Mad Cats so would you recommend sticking with the Dire Wolf or looking at another Assault?

Park it for a while, and come back to it later.

Like the good book of Blake says: To every Mech there is a season.

#66 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 09:27 PM

Assaults are hard to play properly. You need to know the map and where you go. If you are in the wrong place, it's over. No matter your weapons.

#67 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:02 AM

View PostLeone, on 02 June 2021 - 12:47 PM, said:

Have you never piloted an Urbie!? You should try the Urbie, they're hilarious.

So... you know, you don't hafta drop inna Daishi if'n you don't want to. If you like the battlemechs, take the battlemechs. Omnimechs get to choose omnipods, battlemcechs can swap engines. Both have their considerations.

~Leone.

Not as hilarious as the Flea Fireant or the Flea-20. Literally running on slicks until they get behind the big Assaults.

And the 20 can sneak up without them even seeing him.

#68 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 06:55 AM

So I've just finished skilling up my Dire Wolf, which was like pulling teeth.

I'm keeping it to see what changes are made to mobility.

I originally tried loading it with lasers, but it had a problem with heat. So I eventually equipped it with a UAC20 and four chained UAC-5s with a stack of armour.

The damage adds up fairly quickly so it's worthwhile keeping it around for any ballistic challenges.

It's not pretty and I can still die against a wolf pack of lights but I can go toe-to-toe with any other Assault in a brawl. I also can't put LAMS on it because I lose two of my UACs. In an open map against a lot of missiles I still die fairly quickly.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

#69 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:23 AM

View PostMark Yore, on 11 June 2021 - 06:55 AM, said:

So I've just finished skilling up my Dire Wolf, which was like pulling teeth.

I'm keeping it to see what changes are made to mobility.

I originally tried loading it with lasers, but it had a problem with heat. So I eventually equipped it with a UAC20 and four chained UAC-5s with a stack of armour.

The damage adds up fairly quickly so it's worthwhile keeping it around for any ballistic challenges.

It's not pretty and I can still die against a wolf pack of lights but I can go toe-to-toe with any other Assault in a brawl. I also can't put LAMS on it because I lose two of my UACs. In an open map against a lot of missiles I still die fairly quickly.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I use two UAC20's and two UAC 5's quite a nice combo, although i noticed it does get cored quite easily even with armour either maxed or mostly filled, but yeah in-direct fire or quick high alpha pokes are this things bane half the time.

Be interesting too see how it will play once the agility change come along.

#70 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:32 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 29 May 2021 - 01:42 AM, said:

if you don't feel like keeping it, then sell it. I have sold quite a few mechs that didn't work for me. I actually even bought one back later once I got an idea for a load out after the recent weapons balance pass.
When the Direwolf gets a buff to mobility in the next patch and you like it enough than you can always buy it again.

If there are mechs I'm not sure about, I buy them when they are on sale so if/when I sell them I don't 'lose' as many space-bucks.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#71 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:14 AM

its a piniata

#72 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:06 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 01 June 2021 - 07:04 AM, said:

You are wrong i gave up nothing by adding speed tweak

You did, actually.

You gave up a significant number of nodes that should be out into Firepower/Survival or even Operations/Sensors.

#73 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:13 AM

View PostMark Yore, on 11 June 2021 - 06:55 AM, said:

Two points.
  • Don't chain fire, it's bad and results in spread damage
  • Use this build DWF-PRIME

#74 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:43 AM

when the direwolf-C head comes out youll be able to do triple CUAC20 + x2 SRM6.

you have to chainfire the CUAC20s which sucks but its still 144 damage potentially. thats the kindve damage a direwolf should be doing. unfortunately its restricted to 300m and has to chainfire around ghost heat.

that build can also take all the +20 armor CTs and STs for the best survivability the direwolf can have.

#75 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:03 AM

View PostKhobai, on 13 June 2021 - 06:43 AM, said:

when the direwolf-C head comes out youll be able to do triple CUAC20 + x2 SRM6.

you have to chainfire the CUAC20s which sucks but its still 144 damage potentially. thats the kindve damage a direwolf should be doing. unfortunately its restricted to 300m and has to chainfire around ghost heat.

that build can also take all the +20 armor CTs and STs for the best survivability the direwolf can have.

could you swap out the missiles for more autocannons? Like UAC/2's or UAC/5's?

#76 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

https://i.imgur.com/CeaWwVW.png

https://i.imgur.com/qOnWaWQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/fyK5YOU.png

now park your *** against a wall and wait

#77 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:38 AM

View PostStorming Angel, on 13 June 2021 - 09:03 AM, said:

could you swap out the missiles for more autocannons? Like UAC/2's or UAC/5's?

You could but youd lose the +20 armor bonus on the one side torso.

The triple UAC20 direwolf is specifically built around the omnimech parts that give the biggest armor bonuses to maximize your survivability

Which only gives it 3 ballistic hardpoints and 1 missile hardpoint (2 missile hardpoints once the direwolf-C head comes out)

which is why it uses x3 UAC20s and x1 SRM6 (soon to be x2 SRM6) because its the highest damage loadout you can do with those particular hardpoints. 132-144 damage on a direwolf with the highest survivability possible is still pretty impressive although sadly its limited to about a 300m effective range. Being both slow and short range tends to be the worst combination and hardest one to play effectively.

But on brawler maps like solaris city where speed tends not to matter very much you can absolutely crush people as they come around corners.

Edited by Khobai, 13 June 2021 - 11:50 AM.

#78 MrTBSC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:42 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 30 May 2021 - 05:40 PM, said:

four words:

ultraviolet omnipods
ecm variant

dis is 6 woardz :P

#79 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip