Matches Have 10 Heavies/assaults On Each Side So Frequently...

86 replies to this topic

#1 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:36 PM

...when we say "buff lights" we really mean "what if 3 or 4, or even 6 opponents weren't able to two-shot those poor guys."

This is silly, and the longer it's accepted as normal, the more balance and design decisions will be colored by it.

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:49 PM

Given that the is (or at least used to) track what percentage of each weight class was in the queue, I always thought it would be a good idea to add a bonus or penalty to c-bill earnings equal to the number of percentage points off from 25 your weight class's current population was at. Only 10% of players in lights? Congrats, you get a 15% earnings bump for the match. Assaults are saturating the queue? Hey, maybe you should diversify a little, here's a 5% earnings penalty for the match. Heavies making up half the queue? Look, we all love Marauders and Warhammers, but things are getting silly, 25% penalty.

I can't promise it will work (many of the long time players have more c-bills than they know what to do with, this won't motivate them), but it might be worth a shot.

#3 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 05:52 PM

- Been raised before, gets ignored.
- There are rare matches you can get 4 Lights on your team and even ones with no Assaults.
- Several broken things in the system encourage all of this.

#4 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:01 PM

Just goes to show how all the pros are to chicken to play the Over Powered Lights

#5 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:04 PM

Well, every BT game has had bigger=better for mechs so people have been taught for years to play the fat boys.

This isn't a new development.

#6 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:20 PM

Long standing problem made much worse by a fat saturated que - rather than make everyone wait reaaalllly long time for more lights to join it sort of just slaps us together willy nilly. Quite a few of my QP matches today had some really strange team makeup in an attempt to compensate for the light-drought, were talking no lights 2 mediums, 2 assaults and the rest heavies on one team and the other would have two to three lights, few heavies, no mediums and the rest assaults.

#7 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:31 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 26 May 2021 - 07:07 PM, said:

Mobility buffs and Quirk overhauls are coming. Until this all is released there's no reason to talk about imbalances. We are literally in a state of transition.
So stop whining about about favoritism, it's ridiculous how in the middle of the rework and rebalancing people are taking a snapshot and start bitching about that one moment just because it fits there narrative in their heads.

Welp its not like that much has been done to help lights. The weapon patch helped the heavies far more than it helped the lights. The agility patch.... welll...... meh

#8 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:40 PM

This could just mean the majority or returning players just don't prefer lights.
I basically only use assaults unless an event makes me use otherwise. It's nice not getting smashed by lights the same lately they're more annoying than death to LRM's.

Put back to wall and try and twist & pitch fast enough to track a face hugger isn't fun either. At least now there is a balance, a chance to one or two shot before being face hugged to death.

My old rig would tank if I tried to learn speedy knife fighter lights anyway.

Edited by Dauntless Blint, 26 May 2021 - 07:44 PM.

#9 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 26 May 2021 - 05:36 PM, said:

...when we say "buff lights" we really mean "what if 3 or 4, or even 6 opponents weren't able to two-shot those poor guys."

This is silly, and the longer it's accepted as normal, the more balance and design decisions will be colored by it.

Game was actually great back in old Beta times, when it was 8 Heavies/Assaults vs 8 Heavies/Assaults. It's 4x3, that made this game terrible, because it broke matchmaking balance, increased pace of matches and forced PGI to make terrible broken big maps without enough cover. Lights are OP enough to survive direct fire from 10 Assault 'Mechs. We don't need them to be even more annoying, sorry. I heard about new scaling, that will make them even more smaller, than they are now. Sorry, but it's just another nail into this game's coffin. Dev do nothing to actually revive this game. Only kill it even more.

Edited by MrMadguy, 26 May 2021 - 07:47 PM.

#10 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

Mediums that dont punch like heavies are in an even worse place, as they are so large they are far easier to hit.

Why would you ever bring the classic centurion to a game where you can bring a linebacker?

The list of ****** mechs is long. There are a lot of lights, mediums, and 80 tonners on it.

Edited by LordBraxton, 26 May 2021 - 07:48 PM.

#11 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 May 2021 - 08:38 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 26 May 2021 - 07:46 PM, said:

Game was actually great back in old Beta times, when it was 8 Heavies/Assaults vs 8 Heavies/Assaults. It's 4x3, that made this game terrible, because it broke matchmaking balance, increased pace of matches and forced PGI to make terrible broken big maps without enough cover. Lights are OP enough to survive direct fire from 10 Assault 'Mechs. We don't need them to be even more annoying, sorry. I heard about new scaling, that will make them even more smaller, than they are now. Sorry, but it's just another nail into this game's coffin. Dev do nothing to actually revive this game. Only kill it even more.

You have no idea what your talking about.....

View PostLockheed_, on 26 May 2021 - 07:53 PM, said:

the weapon patch helped with a bunch of light mech weapons, that's why you see lights fling PPCs now.
the agility patch was done to the first few mech that PGI could manage to release on before the MW5 release, the agility overhaul is not done.

And if you think that is helping light mechs,...... well.... just shows you do not understand the problem...... I will give you a hint...... if lights can do PPC's..... Heavies can do it far better......

#12 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

Nothing has changed since 2013. Just much more variety in Assaults and heavies.

One reason why I remember I don't like playing lights in the game is that I get rubber band relocations when I do. This has to do with lag and connection.

#13 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 10:09 PM

Another balancing factor, that was thrown away - is economical factor. Yeah, in real MW game repair/refit cost are things, that prevent players from using too powerful 'Mechs. This thing was removed, so players won't be afraid about losing all their CB due to RNG factor in random matches. But still. 'Mechs, that cost just 1M CB should not perform the same way, as Mechs, that cost 15M CB.

Yeah, I have perform some anti-Light measures, that include preventive attacks from distance. Light 'Mechs are dangerous only at close distance. You need to do that one aimed alpha shot from distance, when you first see them. Light pilots don't like, when they are focused and their armor is damaged, so they prefer to run away and start to be more careful, i.e. don't perform that YOLO attacks, while abusing their invulnerability to direct fire.

But they drive too much attention. I don't think it's right.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:04 PM

Without Mobility and Quirk patches in, it's going to be hard to draw any sizeable conclusions about weight class distribution.

Then rescale later 2021 also coming into play.

I'd be thinking this is a topic to more so discuss around August/September as the landscape is going to change significantly between now and then.

#15 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:21 PM

About half the time someone complains lights are underpowered and about half the time someone complains lights are overpowered.

Seems pretty balanced to me.

#16 Sumdumbum

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:19 AM

We had a med mobility buff, and theres still mostly nobody playing them (or lights)

#17 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:41 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 26 May 2021 - 10:09 PM, said:

But still. 'Mechs, that cost just 1M CB should not perform the same way, as Mechs, that cost 15M CB.

ye. no balance.

#18 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 27 May 2021 - 02:16 AM

Lights and Assaults in skilless Hands the best Way to a Lost Match..most lights thinking thats hes can fight alone against 3 Heavys and dies in Seconds while hes not can Aim and Firing by moving and without Maximal Zoom , and the most Assaults have the Battlestar Galactica Syndrome

#19 GoGo Yubari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:17 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 26 May 2021 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'm sorry, this was the "lights are underpowered" thread, what you are looking for is the "lights are OVERPOWERED" thread which is down the other hall to the left!

#20 Major Malfunktion

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 04:35 AM

If you waited for a balanced 3-3-3-3 on each side, waiting times for matches would probably be longer... particularly for people piloting heavies and assaults.

That said, the matchmaker is broken beyond belief - only yesterday had a game with 6A 4H 1M 1L on one side, 3A 2H 2M 5L on the other. Total drop weights were 875 - 665. Until they sort that sort of shambles out, you have no chance of getting balanced matches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users