#1 Spyder Chiken

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 22 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaurice Louisiana

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:28 AM

I use a Z-Axis for Torso rotation and for some goofy reason the Z-Axis registers input when it shouldn't. Is there a way to add a dead band to a Z-Axis?

#2 DangerousOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

View PostSpyder Chiken, on 27 July 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

I use a Z-Axis for Torso rotation and for some goofy reason the Z-Axis registers input when it shouldn't. Is there a way to add a dead band to a Z-Axis?

Just use a mouse and a keyboard. You will get better results. I tried my joystick ( Posted Image ) in this game and it's awful.

#3 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:53 AM

Alternatively you will want to drive Hotam. Hands on Throttle and Mouse. Joystick is awful. I was a die hard and in the end had to give up on the idea.

The game is not designed for Controllers other than Keyboard and Mouse. All the same I enjoy using my Rudder Pedals and HOTAM set up. But if you look at my Rating you will see I pay the price.

All in all good luck with your set up. The short and the long of it is that for one setting up joystick both here and in Mech Warrior 5 is absolutely awful and has been done to death since 2012 and earlier. As much as it pains me, as a fellow fanatic - do what everyone else does. It honestly does work better.

#4 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:25 PM

It is 100% possible to play, and play at a fairly high level with a joystick, but you have to understand its strengths and weaknesses and play to or avoid each. First off getting the setting right on it is crucial to making it viable. Getting the speed at which you twist and pitch in a good spot matters a lot. Also locking your arms is almost a must. You also have to understand that sniping and using long duration weapons are going to be a weakness. Its too hard to maintain a steady smooth aim with a joystick. One shot weapons like SRMs and AC20s along with rapid duration weapons like MRMs and pulse lasers are your friend. The handling of a mech is much smoother and more intuitive with a joystick then mouse and keyboard, and if you have a joystick with enough buttons you can get away with minimal keyboard use. I played exclusively with a joystick for quite a while. I play with a mouse and keyboard now though based on the build.

#5 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:39 PM

View PostSpyder Chiken, on 27 July 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

If there is no such option in MWO you can still use a 3rd party tool for virtual joysticks.
Such tools allow to set deadzones and custom input curves.

Some standard tools / drivers (Saitek X52pro for example) for joysticks allow to set a dead zone.

But IMHO the others are right:
Using a mouse as aiming device is a much better way to play MWO.
A Joytick in the left hand for movement is still an option.

#6 Cotton OCrikey

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:18 PM

If you want to actually help your team, ditch the joystick! Get a good gaming mouse with lots of buttons and adjustable DPI, learn to assign them to your weapons and consumables. Your teammates will thank you and you'll have more fun!

#7 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:30 PM

I honestly think that the best way to play MWO is indeed Joystick/Throttle+Pedals and Mouse.

Nothing prevents you from having a multibutton Gaming Mouse and a multibutton Jyostick/Throttle setup.

The only thing that would be a problem is when the Jostick/Throttle and the Mouse be incompatible and battle agasint each other - that is a thing you can only find out yourself.

Albeit this game is made for mouseaim - though the whole Mechmovement you can conveniently and accuratly do with a Joystick/Throttle+Pedals.

The amount of Buttons and Switches at your disposal will cover every enventuality - you only need your Keyboard for typing text.

Edited by Thorqemada, 28 July 2021 - 01:32 PM.

#8 Spyder Chiken

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 22 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaurice Louisiana

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:57 PM

I'm actually using throttle and mouse. It works great except the axis I use for turning needs a dead band thats where the question comes from.

#9 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 12:40 AM

View PostSpyder Chiken, on 29 July 2021 - 07:57 PM, said:

I'm actually using throttle and mouse. It works great except the axis I use for turning needs a dead band thats where the question comes from.

What throttle do you use?
The Saitek/Logitech X52/X52pro driver can set dead zones to each axis.

Thrustmasters T.A.R.G.E.T. software should be able to do the same, and AFIAK CH Products has a similar product.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users