• LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 15 September 2021 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, that looks great! Now do the PHX. Posted Image

#63 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:23 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 15 September 2021 - 09:11 AM, said:

The first time seeing it all together:

<<< image from https://i.imgur.com/ZT7sz4D.png >>>

Nice! That whole entourage looks great! :D

I have only one question... How is the Mech Pilot going to ride the Motorcycle on the back? It looks awfully big for them, and too small for their Mech to ride. :P

~D. V. "just being silly about the Motorcycle Bolt-On's scale" Devnull

#64 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:09 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 15 September 2021 - 01:23 PM, said:

I have only one question... How is the Mech Pilot going to ride the Motorcycle on the back? It looks awfully big for them, and too small for their Mech to ride. Posted Image
Obviously it's for scouting while the mech is left camouflaged - or for evacuation when the mech goes down .

#65 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 September 2021 - 04:01 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 15 September 2021 - 09:11 AM, said:

The first time seeing it all together:

Posted Image

Damn... That looks fantastic.

Legit 100/100.

#66 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:35 PM

#67 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:52 PM

Never noticed it because I always think of PHX as the abbreviation for Phoenix Arizona.

#68 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:57 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 20 September 2021 - 12:35 PM, said:

....and if you don't, this thing's gonna hunt you down.

<<< image from https://i.imgur.com/3rRwyKL.png >>>

Wow... That is one beautiful Phoenix Hawk PXH-7S(S) rendering. It captures the feeling of being a person walking on a lunar surface rather perfectly. Almost too perfectly... :D

~D. V. "that PXH-7S(S) looks so great that it's haunting... definitely gets a 'Like' from me!!!" Devnull

#69 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:14 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 20 September 2021 - 12:35 PM, said:

it's P, X, H. not PHX.
PhoeniX Hawk

I've gotten it wrong for so long too. I believe you can correct yourself, like I did.
....and if you don't, this thing's gonna hunt you down.

Posted Image

Looks like our beloved PXH has grown himself a nice little six-pack beer belly Posted Image

#70 Flanking Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 September 2021 - 11:22 PM

View PostHorseman, on 15 September 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

Obviously it's for scouting while the mech is left camouflaged - or for evacuation when the mech goes down .

I was thinking how they would get it down from the mech-back, if it's meant for scouting :D

#71 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:22 PM

#72 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 04:00 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 24 September 2021 - 03:22 PM, said:

How would you get the bike down? there's a which somewhere behind it, or maybe in the bike? Sure why not.

....It doesn't really matter how, and as much as there are several reasonable ways to depict a loading/storage mechanism, the reality is that I just don't have the time to also build that too, at what may amount to so small as scale as to be be unreadable in the mechlab, let alone the battlefield.

Don't worry about the winch. We can let people sit back and imagine. Like you basically said, there's no good reason to waste the time on it. ^_^

I was personally curious why the Motorcycle seemed to be disproportionately large versus what size the Pilot climbing out of the Stalker would be, and accidentally caused the conversation to jump off in two other directions while never getting anything to understand about it. You get my apologies for that one... Sorry. :unsure:

View PostMark Nicholson, on 24 September 2021 - 03:22 PM, said:

It's like if you think about it too hard, you realize that where the nozzles are on all these thrusters on the phoenix hawk doesn't make the most sense, but then, it also doesn't matter, because these are fictional creations anyway. Looking both plausible and cool is what we're aiming for, and that's more important than 100% accuracy. And besides, it's not about where each nozzle is, as any movement would involve the precision control of all of them to get the desired result on a vehicle with movable limbs that can alter rotation and center of gravity, as well as a Gyro.

Anyway, you're all here for shiny pictures:

<<< image from https://i.imgur.com/speoprl.png >>>

In your quick rendering, those Phoenix Hawk Bolt-Ons have a rather interesting texture. I wonder what they will look like once rendered with their default coloring. Looking forward to seeing your further PXH-related efforts too! :D

~D. V. "Sorry about the Motorcycle Bolt-On overload... All positive about PXH Bolt-Ons and curious about coloring..." Devnull

#73 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:26 PM

#74 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:46 PM

I would also note that it seems pretty incongruous to have someone

1) so concerned about their camouflage that they'd paint it in a camo pattern and put on netting
2) so unconcerned they'd strap onto their mech a bright orange inflatable boat

I'd suggest some other coloring for the boat. Maybe a matte green or black. Perhaps even a brown or tan.

#75 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:23 AM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 24 September 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

texture is probably a word being used for several duties here, but the material on them in the above image is just a flat gray with a strong specular highlight, it's to help see shape detail better.

Eh, maybe not too many duties. I was using the word "texture" more to refer to the shape of the Phoenix Hawk Bolt-On surfaces, and how it might feel if one's hand was large enough to slide over them. As was said in my previous post, I will be looking forward to seeing the stages with coloring added too. :)

View PostMark Nicholson, on 24 September 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

I can't recall what the scale actually is for the bike, but I know it's not far off. I do remember that the boat is actually a bit smaller than it should be.

In regards to the Raft-type Boat & Backpacks, they seemed a tad on the giant side as well to me. But in this case, it happens that I would also side toward leaving the Raft-type Boat around that size. It would then realistically give the Mech Pilot some room to lay down and/or have others in the Raft-type Boat with them. On the note of the Backpacks' size, they seem like they're about twice the total volume that one would really be carrying, and might have found some shrinkage helpful, lest the poor Mech Pilot find themself flat underneath one. Possibly the same would go with the Motorcycle too, as it seemed 20% too big in visual volume and could potentially find a shrink constructively assistive in making it seem to fit in. :o

And yet even with all this said, I know that you're going for a reasonable artistic visual, and something which can be viewed properly from another Mech out on the field. So this is something where I go against myself in the end, and say to leave all those Bolt-Ons just the size that they are, unless for some reason you feel that feedback & thoughts which I am giving should be used. Like someone could possibly tell me, "Sometimes, being too realistic about a virtual thing can be overkill, and messes it up instead.", and they would be right about making that note. As for me, I am very thankful to hear your thoughts on things, wish to encourage that you keep communicating (and never stop) with those of us in the Forums who post in conversation with you in various places, have put more 'Like's on your posts, and will simply be sitting & watching for the final results of your Mech & Bolt-On creations to appear in the Live Game itself to view and admire. :D

View PostKhalcruth, on 24 September 2021 - 05:46 PM, said:

I would also note that it seems pretty incongruous to have someone

1) so concerned about their camouflage that they'd paint it in a camo pattern and put on netting
2) so unconcerned they'd strap onto their mech a bright orange inflatable boat

I'd suggest some other coloring for the boat. Maybe a matte green or black. Perhaps even a brown or tan.

What about asking Mark to possibly use the same Camo Pattern on the Raft-type Boat such as what the Stalker STK-7D(S) Variant will be using for its' Default Special Camo Pattern when released? That would solve your concern about something sticking out like a sore thumb in that way, and give the option to flatly blend it in... right? ^_^

~D. V. "thankful for a Developer who chats about work in progress... sees another's concern that can be positively built on" Devnull

#76 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 27 September 2021 - 11:53 AM

This is all looking great! Looking forward to playing with these on 10/19!

#77 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:12 PM

#78 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 29 September 2021 - 04:06 PM

This is the BEST news!

#79 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 06:02 PM

It's not the best news, I'd have been happier if Mark could have cured cancer.

But it is pretty damn good.

Posted Image

#80 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:20 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 29 September 2021 - 01:12 PM, said:

Ok, enough stuff is now in and running that I can use the mechlab, and finally answer that earlier question about side torso weapon placement.

The bad news: EH2 has been moved down to where the Misery's ballistic slot is.
Posted Image

So yeah, sorry about that. I know you were all looking forward to putting PPC's in those high mounts....

Which you can still do!
Based on feedback, it was decided that the stalker wasn't as good as what some people are expecting out of these packs, and we've added 2 extra energy hardpoints to the side torsos, so you can toss anything into EH1 and EH2 to push those peeps up to EH3. There should be a more formal announcement of this on friday, along with an update to the store page.
Posted Image

Stop buffing Jay_Z

Posted Image

Edited by Stonefalcon, 29 September 2021 - 08:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users