Erll's Have Too Much Range.

Balance

20 replies to this topic

#1 WolfenSentry

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:23 PM

Lately, I've been seeing nothing but ERLL builds running either 5 or 6 of them with ranges from either 937m or 950m OPTIMUM. Something has to be done. Please, Something has to be done to fix the insane ranges on ERLL builds. This is for Clan AND IS.

I'm so tired of seeing 2-3 sniper builds boating ERLL's while they camp 1000 meters out and do basically full damage.

New HPG Manifolds problem is that its effectively a bowl, but now EVERY mech can get on the walls and snipe in. Its actually made the sniper problem worse.

#2 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:39 PM

I think if you wanted the absolute farthest ranged weapon ac 2 would be it. Put one on any range quirked mech. Not many can boat an amount that would do much good at 900m or more. They'd be easy light kills. I have trouble enough at 700m even with adv zoom so any one over 900m will have trouble too since you really have to lead a moving target. Lights and fast meds at that extreme range would be nearly impossible to hit.

#3 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 25 August 2021 - 08:40 PM

Having been both on the giving and receiving end of ER LL spam, it doesn’t seem to be too difficult to avoid them. The key is recognizing that you are severely out ranged and not trying to trade at suboptimal ranges. What I see many of the time is people rotating into positions that not only expose themselves to the main body of the opposing team, but also giving the snipers free shots. Often times really the problem is that your team likely has either no range weapons, or the people with them didn’t position themselves correctly letting the other team shoot you all like fish in a barrel without having to worry about returning fire.

If you can, keep tabs on where the snipers are and try to keep cover between you and them while you are engaging the other parts of the team. Patience and recognizing situations that have you at a disadvantage are the key. Not every game is winnable and that’s okay.

#4 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 09:02 PM

ERLL have historically been relevant only for Comp and FP where they serve an important role. The DPS has typically been too low to be worth it for QP, and I am willing to assume this has not changed from useless top OP overnight.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 25 August 2021 - 09:05 PM

View PostGagis, on 25 August 2021 - 09:02 PM, said:

ERLL have historically been relevant only for Comp and FP where they serve an important role. The DPS has typically been too low to be worth it for QP, and I am willing to assume this has not changed from useless top OP overnight.

Maybe the proliferation of them on the new HPG is causing issues. It's fairly easy to be caught out by someone splattering you from the walls, especially with teams wanting to spread themselves evenly over 12 different gridsquares while they're learning the map.

#6 Frenzy Engine

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 09:20 PM

That far out in range, if you are hit with ERLL, it's going to be spread damage. You're just not going to get pinpoint damage and lose an arm (unless you're a spider or a fish?). Sniping is a real-world tactic on the battlefield, and it is devastating for a reason, but there are ways to fight a sniper. Messing with ranges just serves to piss off people that have invested the time, patience and skill in being a good sniper.

#7 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 25 August 2021 - 09:43 PM

ERLL bad in close fight, use your brains.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 August 2021 - 09:44 PM

Gas wins for the best post.

I have been brawling / close range mostly for almost a week. Purely solo dropping most of the time.

Just keep track of where the 1-2 ERL mechs are and it is not really a big problem. Target spotted on the hotwheel is your friend Posted Image

#9 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 25 August 2021 - 10:21 PM

ERLL's have way too long of a burn time and too little damage to justify any nerfs. If you are having problems with ERLL's, then my best suggestion is don't stay stationary to allow snipers to pick off damage from you. Early game poking sure is annoying, but it's not like a ERLL sniper isn't going to instant headshot your mech across the map. Despite all the nerfs to ERPPC's and Gauss snipers, I find those mechs that utilize those combinations to be way more annoying than ERLL snipers.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 25 August 2021 - 10:23 PM.

#10 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2021 - 03:18 AM

Clan ones do i agree they are over 9000.

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 25 August 2021 - 09:43 PM, said:

ERLL bad in close fight, use your brains.

Thats why you add lots of medium pulse as well.

Edited by MechaGnome, 26 August 2021 - 03:19 AM.

#11 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 04:32 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 26 August 2021 - 03:18 AM, said:

Clan ones do i agree they are over 9000.

Thats why you add lots of medium pulse as well.

Thats a very hot mech.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:06 AM

The problem you’re experiencing with HPG will fade quickly once people get used to the map. Right now, folks dont’ know where not to stand and folks haven’t learned the ins and outs of the ramps. My first few games on that map I DID take a 3 ERLL Centurion AL and it did quite well, racking up 600-800 damage per match. But the party ends when an enterprising Artic Wolf or Piranha gets up the ramp to you and hugs your face, knowing full well they can out DPS you. Which happened more than once, as that mech is too small to take a meaningful battery of secondary weapons.

#13 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 26 August 2021 - 05:28 AM

One time my friend went into a match with an 8ERLL direwolf and microwaved paul inouye to death.

Paul nerfed ER Large Lasers that night.

Im glad people are finding them useful, stop whining about things the moment they become powerful. Just because you don't personally use them doesn't make them overpowered.

#14 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 26 August 2021 - 06:01 AM

I use them sometimes. They do low damage and cant save a fight. Only anti noob weapon.

Hellbringer full of alfa - just feel the difference.

#15 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 06:18 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 26 August 2021 - 05:06 AM, said:

The problem you’re experiencing with HPG will fade quickly once people get used to the map. Right now, folks dont’ know where not to stand and folks haven’t learned the ins and outs of the ramps. My first few games on that map I DID take a 3 ERLL Centurion AL and it did quite well, racking up 600-800 damage per match. But the party ends when an enterprising Artic Wolf or Piranha gets up the ramp to you and hugs your face, knowing full well they can out DPS you. Which happened more than once, as that mech is too small to take a meaningful battery of secondary weapons.

Yeah, in HPG, you tend to get zapped from all sides right now. I agree that as the meta settles out and people get into more of a routine about how to handle the new HPG, it won't be as much of an issue.

I've tried pushing mechs on the walls a few times as a light, and it's not as fun as you'd think. Yes, you can probably solo a typical ERLL mech, but you're going to take some damage, and you may have big issues from other sniper types up on the wall unless your quickplay team keeps some pressure on them (an iffy proposition). It can also be fairly time consuming to get up there without detection unless you have JJ's, depending on where you are on the map.

Edited by GoodTry, 26 August 2021 - 06:24 AM.

#16 Yufine

Rookie

• The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2024 - 09:42 PM

I find this hilarious every time people downplay the issue with map design and sniping, as if the new weapons definitely didn't make it worse people sit around on the edges of maps firing at 1200+km away sniping at near or max damage making any other build almost entirely useless and it doesn't help there is so little cover on most of the maps everyone plays.
HPG is just ridiculous the comment about it'll filter out once people find the meta, yeah the meta is to sit up top with gauss, ppc and ERLL and snipe people across the map and just chill because half the time they don't have anyway to respond.
Let's not mention the ridiculous balancing of some weapons that people play off and pretend aren't an issue especially the new weapons.
I find it beyond annoying when most maps are just sniper fests and you can't do anything even worse as a light mech, I swear it doesn't even matter if you have ecm with all skills people just know where you're at all the time and since you have no armor you just die to most the weapons instantly because their damage is ridiculous.
If you're not a light you just get gang blasted so it shreds all your armor and worse is when they do have a few assaults up front you're dealing with but they only stay where their snipers can aim so its like what do you do? Attempt to flank and get sniped or deal with assaults while being sniped.
The meta has become everyone sit at long range and fire at eachother most of the match and then close range clean up when it doesn't matter anymore.
It is highly frustrating and basically forces you to augment every build to be long ranged so you can at least poke back, almost every time we lose or I see the enemy lose its because one or the other side is mostly sniping and they don't have much to counter it so they get shredded.

#17 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 23 September 2024 - 10:33 PM

necromant, you must fear lights with snubs and magshots

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 23 September 2024 - 10:34 PM.

#18 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 September 2024 - 03:18 AM

There is no way that this -a post from 2021- is the most recent you could find to latch on to with this complaint. I feel like we complain about sniper play and map design monthly at least. No need to necro so far back.

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 24 September 2024 - 12:28 PM

edge of map blue flashlight mechs seldom stand a chance to a couple of srm spam lights. nor do the zombies stand a chance against a boomstick.

#20 PurplePuke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 September 2024 - 10:24 AM

I sometimes play sniper builds on HPG. It's funny when nobody on the other team ever challenges me up there. Ridiculous, when all they have to do is use the ample cover to come and get me.

I guess it's easier to complain on the forums.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users