50 replies to this topic

#21 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,815 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 September 2021 - 08:38 AM

Yeah, damage is being done. its not all PPC's under minimum range happening around you, is it? because those won't.

#22 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:50 AM

Yeh I thought they blocked team damage for a while at game start. I've noticed it most of the time... some potato fires his weapons, gets me in his beam, I see it fully, it happened, and zero damage listed. Even well into the match, (but before I ever engage an enemy). So I figured they added a grace period against friendly fire, even if sometimes it didnt work. Because occasionally I would take damage, so I figured it was just clunkily done... still better than War Thunder's answer, by turning FF off entirely in RB. I actually hated that change.

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 01:58 PM

drop ship usually drops you facing away from eachother. so you actually have to turn into your team to hit them. in theory you can just walk straight a random distance and then turn. but with pgi's piss poor spawn locations sometimes some exits are blocked and you are at the mercy of the afk members of your lance to find a sane way to spread out without cutting infront of everyone. simply looking at the minimap will tell you which side you can turn to without running into a lancemate. but people just want to shoot things.

#24 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:16 PM

Very common situation... Is what, 1/10? 1/1000?

I don't recall the last time a friendly shot me in the butt at the match start.

While nice to have, goes into the pile of other suggestions - I'd rather Dev time be spent on much more useful outcomes that new game mechanics that offer little to the overall.

#25 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:34 PM

I've done this plenty of times while clicking back into the game after being on my other monitor. So have tons of people I know. The game is usually best run in a full borderless window, which is what causes this. Making it so it won't fire when clicking in like this is probably the best solution, but I don't know if that's possible. I wouldn't object to a 5-10 second lock on weapons. This isn't a giant issue, but quality of life stuff like this does matter.

Sure, sometimes the cause is people testing an alpha and not being careful, but I bet that's only a small amount of it, and doesn't mean we can't address the rest.

#26 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 September 2021 - 05:57 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 16 September 2021 - 04:34 PM, said:

Making it so it won't fire when clicking in like this is probably the best solution

You can just ALT-TAB back to the MWO window without an issue, no button pressing etc.

#27 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 06:28 PM

You know they could just turn off damage for like 10-20 secs to start. there is never a reason to actually do damage at this point. basically only PKers need it and we don't need them anyway.

They could kill all damage but let heat work so people can fire weapons testing their heat but if they hit someone in that small window it wont do any damage.

About 10-20 secs time frame I dunno exactly have a big red warring sign pop up on the screen sort of like the Override, and say Weapons ONLINE..

could solve a lot of issues though no clue how easy that would be on the coding side of things.

Just a thought.

#28 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 07:52 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 16 September 2021 - 05:57 PM, said:

You can just ALT-TAB back to the MWO window without an issue, no button pressing etc.

this is what i do. most of my team shooting is a result of mouse-keyboard collisions, or cats.

#29 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:26 PM

You might think that 5-10s immunity is a 'small thing' yet with 10 years of code on code, old engine etc etc.

It likely isn't a small thing that you think. Hence I would rather your 'simple ideas' all be put to rest and some of the larger things on the roadmaps, the things that'll actually provide some benefit, be worked on.

So no I am not 'elite' in my responses. It is simply using basic common sense.

#30 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 16 September 2021 - 09:42 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 16 September 2021 - 09:26 PM, said:

You might think that 5-10s immunity is a 'small thing' yet with 10 years of code on code, old engine etc etc.

It likely isn't a small thing that you think. Hence I would rather your 'simple ideas' all be put to rest and some of the larger things on the roadmaps, the things that'll actually provide some benefit, be worked on.

common sense? at your place? oh common Posted Image
tell me at least one thing that PGI did great and it would work fine?
mb online? or game economy (what should I do with my billions?)?, mb FP? or Long Tom? or VIP? or QP balance? mb hit reg? mb mech scaling? mb quirks? mb mb mb mb mb all the rest? at least something?
so maybe they'd better start with the little things?

tell me "elite", why did people make fuses for firearms?
blocking weapons after drop - is a fuse

#31 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 September 2021 - 11:48 PM

An easy solution would be to start mechs powered down.

Which would not only solve the problem it would also be more immersive to have to power your mech up and finally make that 'p' key useful!

(and don't moan about the extra time/effort, it already takes minutes to get into a match, so an extra second to click a key isn't a problem)

Edited by Dogstar, 16 September 2021 - 11:50 PM.

#32 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:17 AM

i hate to say it but sometimes one can pull a rabbit out of a hat with a couple lines of code. others struggle for months on a thing which seems simple. something declared impossible rolls off the line because one person put a weekend into it. code is not a mystical magical thing. a deep systematic look at the code can reveal quite a bit of low hanging fruit with in reach of a coder with a couple weeks of unfettered access.

that said i still agree that the feature proposed here is kind of meh. not enough bang for the buck involved. if you are going to get an actual coder involved, then you have the ability to add bigger and better things to the game. and i hate to see it squandered on a nitpick. when team damage happens, which is rarely, it usually has little no effect on the match unless it is intentional, in which case there are systems in place to deal with it.

#33 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 17 September 2021 - 01:32 AM

View PostDogstar, on 16 September 2021 - 11:48 PM, said:

Which would not only solve the problem it would also be more immersive to have to power your mech up and finally make that 'p' key useful!

(and don't moan about the extra time/effort, it already takes minutes to get into a match, so an extra second to click a key isn't a problem)

why not, this also solves this problem

Edited by Rkshz, 17 September 2021 - 01:33 AM.

#34 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:19 AM

View PostDogstar, on 16 September 2021 - 11:48 PM, said:

View PostRkshz, on 17 September 2021 - 01:32 AM, said:

why not, this also solves this problem

Either this, or we could have PGI do like I suggested on Page 1 @ Post 12 before...

View PostD V Devnull, on 15 September 2021 - 02:47 PM, said:

Yeah... I am thinking that the "Pause Menu" should come up when the game is not in focus, and someone is in a Match at the time? It sure would help to prevent this kind of unnecessary mischief. Posted Image

...as we do know that PGI can make MWO sense when the game is not in focus, and they therefore kill the audio even when we don't want it to be. It would then just be a small matter of copy-pasta and very minor editing with the code to forcibly put the "Pause Menu" up when the game loses focus while in battle. :huh:

~D. V. "either of these two solutions would work with entering battle, but mine might be more noticeable and defined" Devnull

#35 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:52 AM

"It's too hard" is not a valid defense. Grow up.

One out of 3 matches some friendly shoots me at game start, it is a serious problem. I would appreciate a minor fix, being a grace period of no friendly fire, as long as they font get too ham fisted, and just turn off FF completely. In the chaos of battle, FF needs to be a thing, as it's a commonly used stratagem by lights.

#36 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:14 AM

View PostHauptmanT, on 18 September 2021 - 03:52 AM, said:

One out of 3 matches some friendly shoots me at game start, it is a serious problem. I would appreciate a minor fix, being a grace period of no friendly fire, as long as they font get too ham fisted, and just turn off FF completely. In the chaos of battle, FF needs to be a thing, as it's a commonly used stratagem by lights.

Who needs to put a timed release on the player's weaponry? For two alternate ideas...
  • Why not just make the player have to consciously turn the Mech on first to gain control of it?
  • What about ensuring that the game is focused & unpaused before the player can assume control?
...either of those could work, and better. What do you, HauptmanT, think of those ideas? :o

~D. V. "It's hit the point where another opinion for fixing the Start-Of-Match Friendly Fire problem is required?" Devnull

#37 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 September 2021 - 04:38 AM

View PostHauptmanT, on 18 September 2021 - 03:52 AM, said:

One out of 3 matches some friendly shoots me at game start, it is a serious problem.

It is not too hard, it is a waste of time.

Please record 12 matches one after the other and post up. It is probably not even one.

#38 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:56 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 September 2021 - 04:38 AM, said:

Please record 12 matches one after the other and post up. It is probably not even one.

okay, I ate my fill, now let's talk seriously

firstly - you are NOT an MWO developer, you have no right to say that "this idea is difficult to do or it is a waste of time" - this is not an argument, this is arrogance and hypocrisy

secondly - how many firearms are there in real life? how often the weapon accidentally fires? there are many weapons in the world, few random shots - but the fuse was made, why? to avoid accidents

third - how many matches are played each day? many! How often do random shots occur after a drop? infrequently! but we need a fuse to avoid accidents

this is called argumentation

but I will give one more example:
there are "small obstacles" on ALL maps, which at first glance should NOT be obstacles - but they are, why? because the level designer did his job badly
Spoiler

I learned about these "little obstacles" when during a maneuver in battle I stumbled and lost speed and died because of them.
and so, playing with arguments:
- is this a mistake of the developers? yes!
- is this a serious mistake by the developers? no!
- how often do players die from these obstacles? infrequently!
- do these obstacles need to be removed? yes!
- why do devs need to remove these obstacles? because it's a devs mistake and it's their job and players die because of this!

so, do you wanna play the game of argument about "fuse"? Posted Image

Edited by Rkshz, 18 September 2021 - 06:00 AM.

#39 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:41 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 18 September 2021 - 04:14 AM, said:

Who needs to put a timed release on the player's weaponry? For two alternate ideas...
  • Why not just make the player have to consciously turn the Mech on first to gain control of it?
  • What about ensuring that the game is focused & unpaused before the player can assume control?
...either of those could work, and better. What do you, HauptmanT, think of those ideas? Posted Image

~D. V. "It's hit the point where another opinion for fixing the Start-Of-Match Friendly Fire problem is required?" Devnull

I do like the powered down idea... but... most of the laser burns I get on my back are from those early game "alpha checks" by somebody who cant see a full second into the future.

What really chaffs my hide though, is that 3 out of every 4 games, I leave spawn with at least 1 yellow location. It's bumper mechs every drop. I have to be super super careful, and go way out of my way to avoid getting kicked by somebody who isnt even capable enough to drive miss daisy. Having lost 3% of my mech from friendlies just trying to move out is just as bad as getting shot.

...And unfortunately the powered down idea would exacerbate that problem, as it it would put everyone in an even bigger rush to get that leet position first.

Also... Kitfoxes NEED their AMS or they're not Kitfoxes!~
*Was good seein ya in game =)

#40 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 10:50 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 18 September 2021 - 04:38 AM, said:

I'm T4, trust me it's an issue with all them Cadets and 8 year olds floating around bottom tiers. Well ok, I'm actually T3 now, as I cant keep it from going up anymore. It's just too hard to suck, without deliberately suiciding. So I'll just learn to cope with T1 matches again. Swear to gawd you sweaties hate having fun with this game... By the time I get to the front half of one of the teams is dead already. Just a mad dash muderball blast fest in higher tiers... No time for me to do fun stuff.

Maybe I was being slightly Hyperbolous. Not that often, but at least once per day I have to remind my team "Please do not shoot your friends". Yes I even have a ritual chastisement I use every single time it happens.

Edited by HauptmanT, 18 September 2021 - 10:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users