New Caustic Sucks.

164 replies to this topic

#41 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:44 AM

haven't played it yet, but from hopping around it in testing ground .. it is kinda open. Posted Image
the fishbowl-comment describes it well imo.

the first new map I have doubts about.
but as usual: we'll have to wait and see. give it a month or 2, then review it. Posted Image

#42 Lifeblight

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:46 AM

I disagree. I've enjoyed all the map modifications they've done so far.

#43 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:49 AM

View PostNightbird, on 22 September 2021 - 07:27 AM, said:

If you're not scared to see how much people really like your new maps, put them side by side in the map vote. Whenever HPG comes up, show old and new HPG. Whenever Caustic comes up, show old and new Caustic. You're doing yourself a major disservice trashing the most voted for maps in the queue by listening to a vocal super minority.

great idea, I am sure that PGI will be very surprised

#44 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:42 AM

It's too hard to see the domination circle on the mini map. I've already had one game where most of the other team just never went to the circle, and the map ended early with low scores for all.

#45 ghostrider

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:25 AM

Yeah Domination circle is basically hidden.
I've had some nice brawls already in it, so far i like it better than the other one.

#46 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,704 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:39 AM

Not a bad map haven't played it yet, but ran around it in a flea for a bit.
More than enough places to hide from lurms me no likey.
Plenty of places to brawl unless you like lemming to the center.
Domination on this map will be problematic.
Far to many sniper roosts especially those spot in Delta 3 and Charlie 3.
D3 will be especially nasty to assault.
And C3 is just unnecessary.
Sadly half the people never even bother to check out the map and just be sniper bait.
And the rest will simply lumber into the various kill boxes.
Nice map overall.

#47 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,889 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:53 AM

View Postkillkimno, on 22 September 2021 - 01:17 AM, said:

If PGI continues to change maps like this, I'll have to think about quitting the game forever.

I'm not one for hyperbole but I have to say that three matches on this map last night were enough for two players to express the same sorts of feelings.

As for myself, yeah, not liking this one at all. Won't say I hate it, because in the three matches we played last night we never seemed to manage to get out of the E5-ish area so I honestly have no idea how the rest of the map looks or might potentially play. For what I have seen, I am in agreement with those that say the new rock formations provide little protection from indirect LRM fire. I don't really, mind that much since I pretty much always have 2AMS but if the goal was to make the map even more LRM friendly, mission accomplished.

#48 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:16 AM

1st impressions after 1st game in it, **** map. don't like.

#49 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:53 AM

View PostCommoners, on 22 September 2021 - 12:21 AM, said:

So in an effort to be Actually The Worst Person I outfitted a thunderbolt with an LRM5, a BAP, and 3ERLLs to specifically drop into the new caustic map. I stand on the edges of the map and slowly plink people to death while firing a single volley of five missiles so they get a missile warning and try to hunker down from phantom missiles. I have no idea whether I'm actually firing at something I have LOS to because of the mist, so mostly it's just seeing if the reticle flashes red for a hit. Some of the mechs like hellbringers have those shiny cockpits so you can kind of see them by default, but others are just a vague mech shape that's sometimes visible but not really. If I see a laser AMS in the middle of the map I just spam dumbfire missiles above it so that they don't get to cool down. I feel like I'm doing crimes against fun for doing it.

I think we need more of this :P

#50 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:03 PM

Needs some taller cover.

#51 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,834 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:08 PM

Played over a dozen games today, only managed to drop on the map twice. It gets voted against, which is a shame because we need to experience it to judge it. (And more than "I got shot there once, didn't like it".)

So far I'll say this... if you're running a light or medium with stealth armor, ALWAYS vote for this map. The mist on the map gives stealthy mechs visual cover, making them that much more invisible.

#52 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:28 PM

There seems to be a competition to see how many maps they can ruin.
All the new reworks are awful. Stop, just stop.....

#53 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:25 PM

View PostVonbach, on 22 September 2021 - 01:28 PM, said:

There seems to be a competition to see how many maps they can ruin.
All the new reworks are awful. Stop, just stop.....

What’s the issue with new HPG/Polar/Canyon?

#54 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:29 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 22 September 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

Polar rework is kind of a lateral move, but Canyon, HPG and now Caustic were all taking the few "small" remaining maps and making them more long range. The long range meta is one of the least interesting gameplay changes, and Caustic feels extra bad because of how absolutely open the middle is, particularly in Domination matches.

#55 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:49 PM

Exactly, polar was bad -> bad, therefore no one complained. We've always had maps which favored short-range or long-range fights. People voted for short-ranged maps more, but people that like long-range still get to build up multipliers so we occasionally see long-range maps. However the changes have all about making short-range maps into long-range maps. Who the hell goes out of their way to make popular products unpopular to spread out the vote? It's absolutely insane.

Have all 4 maps as "HPG Substation", "HPG Manifold", "Caustic Caldera", and "Caustic Valley" let people vote for what they want. The maps are so different, it's like frozen city versus classic. Keep them all.

Edited by Nightbird, 22 September 2021 - 09:07 PM.

#56 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:29 AM

Yeah I want all old maps.

Mines and Terra are the best, hope they dont crush them.

#57 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:00 AM

What's all the hub-bub about?

It's a great map. Lots of cover on the sides to hide my advance, a bunch of wanna be snipers all spread out behind their individual rocks, alone and afraid, it's a feeding frenzy!

It's not Nascar short track anymore. Now it's Indy, 2.5 mile oval track. Go wide! Go right! Get kills!~

#58 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:18 AM

View PostNightbird, on 22 September 2021 - 08:49 PM, said:

Exactly, polar was bad -> bad, therefore no one complained. We've always had maps which favored short-range or long-range fights. People voted for short-ranged maps more, but people that like long-range still get to build up multipliers so we occasionally see long-range maps. However the changes have all about making short-range maps into long-range maps. Who the hell goes out of their way to make popular products unpopular to spread out the vote? It's absolutely insane.

Have all 4 maps as "HPG Substation", "HPG Manifold", "Caustic Caldera", and "Caustic Valley" let people vote for what they want. The maps are so different, it's like frozen city versus classic. Keep them all.

Just consider the legacy maps as "planetary biomes" and put them back into rotation.

#59 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:34 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 22 September 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

New canyon is fine. You can hardly tell they changed it TBH. Other than the cover in the center ramps, and the reduction of cliffs in the center. There's still enough defilade that you arent completely exposed in the center, and those clumps of rock on the ramps are a good addition. All in all, a good rework.

Polar Lurmlands was a wonderful map. I'm sad they "ruined" it. The central town gives brawlers somewhere to brawl, but now it is 100% a Nascar map, so the brawls dont really happen in the center most of the time, until the very end. If you dont Nascar, you die. Old Polar was my favorite map, as I grew up in Lurmbloats. I dont play them as often anymore, but still would be nice to have it in rotation to have those 1500 dmg Lurm games, just for the lulz (and c-bills).

HPG was everybodies favorite. It didnt need fixing. Having wall snipers being rare, with specific jumpy builds was better. However, that being said, new HPG isnt bad. I kinda like the center better, but my main enjoyment comes from huntin the snipers. First few days were just a feeding frenzy. People are more weary about staying on the walls now. And if you plan ahead, you can almost avoid snipers entirely if you arent out to get them. Also, if you just take basement and be patient, it's a guaranteed win. But patience is a rarity for most people. Every game my team decided to take basement and HOLD it, was a win. Every single time. It nulifies snipers on the walls, and makes easy kills as enemies trickle in 1 at a time.

This is why I loved old Polar:

Posted Image

Edited by HauptmanT, 23 September 2021 - 06:37 AM.

#60 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 06:47 AM

View PostmareNight, on 21 September 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

IMO LRMs are less of an issue, we have AMS for that.

There are limitations to AMS when you're under concentrated fire. In my opinion it's worse than the old Polar Highlands, except there's nowhere to shelter from LRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users