What About The Clans?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:26 PM

So, now we've had two wonderfull DLCs for our beloved MW5. Isn't it time to expand on the original timeline and story with the Clan Invasion?

Since this is such a massive thing to happen, do you guys think an Expansion pack will be enough to cover this, or does this deserve a MW6

#2 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:29 AM

At 7:25 they talk about that:
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries; Chat with Devs on Launch Day of DLC - YouTube

#3 Marchello1

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:59 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 23 September 2021 - 01:29 AM, said:

I still do not understand, will they do it?

#4 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 11:58 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 23 September 2021 - 01:29 AM, said:

It's showing the link as private, and won't play it.. just saying..

Can you give me the jist of it?

#5 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:12 PM

Clans will be MW6, per Russ in the townhall after the MW5 EGS release.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 12:51 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 23 September 2021 - 11:58 AM, said:

It's showing the link as private, and won't play it.. just saying..

Can you give me the jist of it?

Oh, that is new, seems they have removed it from public.

Well, it was stated that Clan is so much to do it would be pretty much a stand alone game.

What that means is up to our interpretation but as above i guess it means MW6 or MW5-Clan Edition, something above and beyond a simple DLC.

If PGI wants it happen.

Edited by Thorqemada, 23 September 2021 - 01:33 PM.

#7 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 23 September 2021 - 01:45 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 23 September 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

Oh, that is new, seems they have removed it from public.

Well, it was stated that Clan is so much to do it would be pretty much a stand alone game.

What that means is up to our interpretation but as above i guess it means MW6 or MW5-Clan Edition, something above and beyond a simple DLC.

If PGI wants it happen.

I'm not so sure if it would be smart to release a stand alone title for the clans. It would be better to introduce them as DLC since people will most likely want mix tech on their IS mechs. Releasing the clans as a stand alone MW6 title would be a really risky move since MW5 after release got average to low scores. I'd be ok if they did something like GBL with the MW:2 expansion pack.

Edited by Valdarion Silarius, 23 September 2021 - 01:45 PM.

#8 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:33 PM

Unfortunately I didn't see the video before it was made private. But from what I see in this thread it would be disappointing to learn that they are considering creating a whole new game. I've enjoyed MW5 for what has been offered but I was hoping to see them add more to it over the next couple of years. This basically means they would be abandoning the game to focus on something else. You would think they would make more money selling multiple DLCs adding clans a piece at a time. Might even get others that have held off from buying to get the base game.

Edited by s0da72, 23 September 2021 - 05:34 PM.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 05:46 PM

i think they should just not use the convoluted mwo style omnipod system and just do versatile hardpoints like in mw4 which can accomidate any weapon system. it makes sense with the dumbed down mw5 mechlab to dumb down the omnipod system as well. then its just new weapons and mechports. modders can then come in and fix the whole mess the right way.

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:01 AM

I would not mind a Clans DLC with the scale of a full new game.

I would not mind a MWO2 made with Unreal engine 4 or 5.

I would welcome both with my wallet.

#11 Moldur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:32 AM

I would not mind another singleplayer MW if it is an improvement to 5. I would hope their devs worked out a lot of kinks and provide an even better experience for 6.

I know it's a bit of an abusive relationship with PGI, but they could have done a lot worse (I know, typical excuse).

#12 Kesslan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:38 AM

I'd personally prefer they just add clans to MW5 via DLC, because it would be nice to have a game that leads through the succession wars and into the clan wars (and possibly beyond) and MW5 has the potential to do that just fine if they simply added the content.

#13 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:28 PM

I'd like the clan invasion, as seen from an IS merc perspective, to be DLC for MW5*, and a clan player perspective, akin to MW2, to be MW6.

* Clantech idea:
- Salvaging mech requires the collection of MWO-like omnipods to assemble a complete mech. Once a mech is salvaged, whatever omnipods it is reassembled with is it's new, permanent config, as IS techs don't "get" the omni system at first.
A possible exclusion to this could be if an arm or side torso is destroyed, it can be replaced with a different omnipod, but this destroys the remains of the previously fitted one.
- Most clantech salvage should be the weapons and DHS. A completed clan mech should be a late-career goal, basically a trophy that is too valuable to field on anything less than major story missions.

#14 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 18 October 2021 - 04:19 AM

I do not want Clans in MW5, it is nice to have a title free of them for once.

Clans were not done right for MWO.

MW5 still has issues to work out.

I do not trust modders since there are too many making 'God Mode' mods plus it ruins the ability to report any bugs that still exist. That is a serious problem in too many games that has bred laziness in developing / making games plus arrogance among some players.

View PostVellron2005, on 24 September 2021 - 11:01 AM, said:

I would not mind a MWO2 made with Unreal engine 4 or 5.

Problem is a portion of the MWO players do not want to let go and accept that including the Cauldron.

Edited by Wildstreak, 18 October 2021 - 04:21 AM.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 05:25 PM

clans is just their opportunity to rebrand the game as something new so they can charge full game prices for what is effectively dlc. i dont mind if they throw an engine upgrade in there or other interesting features. but they probibly wont.

mwo2 same thing, it would just be a rebranding of mw5 (or mw6) with pvp arena shooter. its unlikely mwo2 would be derived from the mwo codebase (at least not directly, though its not unusual for a game company to reuse code, thats how rent an engine became a thing in the first place), as thats a lot of minimally viable code for things that dont work piled together in such a haphazard way and for the wrong engine.

Edited by LordNothing, 20 October 2021 - 06:29 PM.

#16 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:45 AM

If it was the video that I guess it was here is what I remember.

PGI wants to produce some more DLC for MW5, all centered around the IS.

Clans will be a full price game, either named MW5-Clan something or MW6. The reason for that is that for the Clans they would have to create a lot of new stuff. New Mechs, weapons, etc.

They would also not just want to add the Clans as just a new region where you can then fight new mechs but want to put in a new storyline from the clan perspective, so that would mean more stuff to do.

In short its much more work and cost then a DLC like Heros or Kestrel, so charging the price of a DLC wouldn't cover the cost. That is why they aim for a full release IF they should ever make Clan stuff.

Edited by Nesutizale, 21 October 2021 - 04:45 AM.

#17 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 05:15 AM

I do not have proof but I do believe PGI is tired of balancing things for online games.
Just look at the history of MWO.
- Ninja-tech-ECM
- did not do 10 Clan vs 12 IS
- players openly mocking stuff done (it has become a toxic gaming trend)
- rescales since the first models were created and those dimensions / hitboxes were complained about
- the anti-lore nuts looking for paranoid conspiracies
- players falsely claiming to be perfect at game design including that group

I even believe some game companies are getting tired of a lot of online games. I went back to one recently to see what happened to it since I left, did not even try the PvP, found numerous bugs including one I kept reporting multiple times from 2 years ago. Despite my and many other players reporting bugs, the company Trello (public place the company lists bugs they are working on) never once shows these bugs as acknowledged except in like 2-3 cases where they claim they fixed the issue despite some players still having the problem.

Edited by Wildstreak, 21 October 2021 - 05:16 AM.

#18 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 06:46 AM

MW5 is an offline game or at best a PvE game. So balanceing is less of a concern. Should they do the Clans and just focus on the Clans, like some internal clan conflict, they could balance stuff to their likeing without beeing concerned about PvP.

#19 Marchello1

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 08:49 AM

I think a game about MW6 clans should arouse interest not only among battletech fans, it should be presented on the new UE5 engine with a new campaign, different biomes, perhaps two spears or mech stars in submission, etc., depends on the imagination of developers for more buyers, even those who are not familiar with the history of the Battletech universe. MW5 is already old, alas, 2019 ... you know ... well, how long will the DLS last a year, two ???

#20 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:30 AM

View PostMarchello1, on 21 October 2021 - 08:49 AM, said:

I think a game about MW6 clans should arouse interest not only among battletech fans,

Idealy yes

it should be presented on the new UE5 engine

Doubt that will happen. First of the added development time from switching engines, even if its just current UE to whatever is the current UE engine then can be difficulte. For example to use whatever new tech is in there has to be done from the start as there isn't anything comparable in the old one. In the worst case its like builing a complete new game.
Second point beeing licenceing cost. You can bet that if you want to switch to the new version you also have to buy a second licence and those aren't neccessarly cheap.

with a new campaign, different biomes, perhaps two spears or mech stars in submission, etc., depends on the imagination of developers for more buyers, even those who are not familiar with the history of the Battletech universe. MW5 is already old, alas, 2019 ... you know ... well, how long will the DLS last a year, two ???

I am not quite sure what you mean with submission, you mean playing as a bondsman? I mean that could be interesting.
Would help with people new to the BT universe to get what the clans are all about. The player would learn the way of the clans like any Spheroid would have to learn it. I like that idea.

As for MW5 beeing old...well that depends on how you play games. I played it at release and only now started my second playthourgh. So for me its pretty fresh.
Or do you mean it looks old, cause frankly while the best looking MW game it looks...off to me. Not old but the style is strange. I can't quite put my finger on it but it allways feels like something is not right.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users