4. Where your team is
5. The armor of your mech
6. That f-ing Locust drilling your back

Things that don't matter in MWO

1. Your race
2. Your religion
3. If you're gender fluid, gender solid or gender gas
4. Literally anything not in battletech/mechwarrior

Can keep the other crap out? I really don't care what you are. It doesn't need to become part of the discussion in the chatroom. I play mech to enjoy fantasy mech world, not to hear some insecure person try to validate their self perception. I don't care. I think the community needs to adopt the same approach before this nonsense becomes rampant and toxic as it has become in so many other gaming communities. I'd rather we don't become hostage to a bunch of ambulance chasers looking to get offended.

#2 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 05:37 PM

lol sorry this post didn't get any attention. your first on the forums, too!

#3 Seraph Basarab

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2021 - 06:01 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 06 October 2021 - 05:37 PM, said:

lol sorry this post didn't get any attention. your first on the forums, too!

I almost lost all hope but then I saw I got your attention.

#4 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 07 October 2021 - 03:42 PM

View PostSeraph Basarab, on 06 October 2021 - 05:03 PM, said:

Things that matter in MWO:

1. Your mech
2. Where the enemy is
3. How much ammo you have left.
4. Where your team is
5. The armor of your mech
6. That f-ing Locust drilling your back

Things that don't matter in MWO

1. Your race
2. Your religion
3. If you're gender fluid, gender solid or gender gas
4. Literally anything not in battletech/mechwarrior

Can keep the other crap out? I really don't care what you are. It doesn't need to become part of the discussion in the chatroom. I play mech to enjoy fantasy mech world, not to hear some insecure person try to validate their self perception. I don't care. I think the community needs to adopt the same approach before this nonsense becomes rampant and toxic as it has become in so many other gaming communities. I'd rather we don't become hostage to a bunch of ambulance chasers looking to get offended.

Man, its glad to see there are still sane people on the forums. The last thread got locked, but before that it was mostly people without the narcissistic need to be the centre of attention, or drive to reduce everything to identity politics being called "chuds" and accused of "trans hate" and "bigotry" mostly for putting forth reasonable complaints about how IDpol, race, religions, etc was not something that should matter in-game.
And I note, not one of the IDpol/Narcissists was able to answer one simple question, despite their ability to write long winded statements accusing everyone, myself included, who did not worship them a [BAD GUY]:
>Why is someones identity important in the game and why should it matter? What is the relevance of ID politics to Battletech and Mechwarrior Online?

Spoiler, it doesnt and should never have been brought up.

#5 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 07 October 2021 - 05:42 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 07 October 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

Man, its glad to see there are still sane people on the forums. The last thread got locked, but before that it was mostly people without the narcissistic need to be the centre of attention, or drive to reduce everything to identity politics being called "chuds" and accused of "trans hate" and "bigotry" mostly for putting forth reasonable complaints about how IDpol, race, religions, etc was not something that should matter in-game.
And I note, not one of the IDpol/Narcissists was able to answer one simple question, despite their ability to write long winded statements accusing everyone, myself included, who did not worship them a [BAD GUY]:
>Why is someones identity important in the game and why should it matter? What is the relevance of ID politics to Battletech and Mechwarrior Online?

Actually, a fair number of those "Reasonable Complaints" weren't at all reasonable and in fact were EXTREMELY bigoted, but that's besides the point. When you're ingame, All that matters is your lancemates are your lancemates, and your enemy is your enemy.

Which honestly is why I'd probably shoot someone who tries to make it a big deal in a match. Especially if you're interrupting Team Calls.

I personally don't have a problem with Trans folks and believe they deserve the same rights as everyone else (which, to be blunt, in a lot of American States, they are NOT given).

And we're all MechWarriors here. That should first and foremost be what you think of someone.

Also, btw, because it has to be said for the Americans who post here... Your First Amendment means jack @#$% online, it stops at your computer screen. It only applies to your rights in public in REAL LIFE. Here, you only have the rights to say what the company allows you to say. And it's a Canadian Company, a Country where we realize Freedom of Speech is a PRIVILEGE and actually take steps to not misuse it. So bear that in mind.

Edited by Arkhangel, 07 October 2021 - 05:59 PM.

#6 Blackjack Jonesy

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 04:05 AM

People need to grow up and just treat each other as human beings; people on the flip side need to grow thicker skin and stop being so fragile. Spent 23 years in service and the only thing that mattered was peoples character. I have learned over many years there are always going to be intolerant people on all sides so I just don't give credence to many comments made by people with brains the size of peas. Keep your personal opinions about others to yourself because they don't further the game and never helps the team.

To the 1st Amendment comment. It does means jack because it is a right and not just a privilege for Americans. It must always be used with respect based on how it is perceived. We have that right to further Our nation to become more perfect to allow us to meet the future with intellectual thought and be able to discuss our grievances with the government. Problem is not that Americans have the right, the problem is they have forgotten how utilize the right to further humanity and our endeavors to become more Perfect. Just cause you have the right to say something does not make it right.

So play the game and keep your personal dislikes out of it. Criticism though of game play is fair game for discussion.

#7 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:58 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 07 October 2021 - 03:42 PM, said:

Yeah well, problem is identity politics. They frame it as "safety in numbers" but it eventually became just another way to otherize people, despite them not wanting to get otherized.

There's also the marxist politics of oppressed vs oppressor, this black and white thinking that relies on labelling the other side evil, and another side good means there's little nuance possible in discourse. It's just people pointing out that you're bad for disagreeing.

Western politics is getting more and more ******** by the year.

I say let them have this. They are more quiet when you let them anyways.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 08 October 2021 - 05:59 AM.

#8 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:34 AM

View PostBlackjack Jonesy, on 08 October 2021 - 04:05 AM, said:

People need to grow up and just treat each other as human beings; people on the flip side need to grow thicker skin and stop being so fragile. Spent 23 years in service and the only thing that mattered was peoples character. I have learned over many years there are always going to be intolerant people on all sides so I just don't give credence to many comments made by people with brains the size of peas. Keep your personal opinions about others to yourself because they don't further the game and never helps the team.

To the 1st Amendment comment. It does means jack because it is a right and not just a privilege for Americans. It must always be used with respect based on how it is perceived. We have that right to further Our nation to become more perfect to allow us to meet the future with intellectual thought and be able to discuss our grievances with the government. Problem is not that Americans have the right, the problem is they have forgotten how utilize the right to further humanity and our endeavors to become more Perfect. Just cause you have the right to say something does not make it right.

So play the game and keep your personal dislikes out of it. Criticism though of game play is fair game for discussion.

Dude, my point is the Internet isn't American territory. I'm not saying it means jack period, but it DOESN'T EXIST HERE. The First Amendment only covers speech in public or in writing WHILE ON US SOIL. This is not. So it means @##$%-all here. Hence your ability to speak your mind here is a PRIVILEGE. Deal with it.

And 6th, that's not "Marxist politics," that's politics in general. Right-wing Fascists use the same crap logic just as much, as Trump proved over the past 5 years (Blaming a specific Group for all of the US's problems, much like a certain German did with Jews). The point here is everyone needs to just be open minded, and only give a @##$ that that other MechWarrior over there has their back in a match, not what their name, gender, religion, sexuality, ethnicity, whatever, is. For as much of a S***hole as the 31st Century is in BattleTech, They don't CARE about that crap anymore, and haven't for centuries. Mean, ****, Canonically the Free Worlds League has a fairly large Trans Population who get treated exactly the same as any other citizen there.

We're all MechWarriors here, so start Goddamned Acting like it.

Edited by Arkhangel, 08 October 2021 - 09:43 AM.

#9 latinisator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 561 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:26 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 08 October 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

(Blaming a specific Group for all of the US's problems, much like a certain German did with Jews).

If you mean "him": He was Austrian. Germany had (has, unfortunately also from the left) like-minded people, though. Also, the Jews have always been the scapegoat in Europe - it wasn't German thing only. But you point remains valid, I'm just pointing out.

We're all MechWarriors here, so start Goddamned Acting like it.

Seyla!

#10 Seraph Basarab

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 02:30 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 07 October 2021 - 05:42 PM, said:

Actually, a fair number of those "Reasonable Complaints" weren't at all reasonable and in fact were EXTREMELY bigoted, but that's besides the point. When you're ingame, All that matters is your lancemates are your lancemates, and your enemy is your enemy.

Which honestly is why I'd probably shoot someone who tries to make it a big deal in a match. Especially if you're interrupting Team Calls.

I personally don't have a problem with Trans folks and believe they deserve the same rights as everyone else (which, to be blunt, in a lot of American States, they are NOT given).

And we're all MechWarriors here. That should first and foremost be what you think of someone.

Also, btw, because it has to be said for the Americans who post here... Your First Amendment means jack @#$% online, it stops at your computer screen. It only applies to your rights in public in REAL LIFE. Here, you only have the rights to say what the company allows you to say. And it's a Canadian Company, a Country where we realize Freedom of Speech is a PRIVILEGE and actually take steps to not misuse it. So bear that in mind.

I mean great. Handle getting rights where it matters: "the real world." Not going to find them in solaris city or canyon. Nobody in MWO was running around saying anyone shouldn't have rights.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:03 PM

here we go again...

#12 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 09 October 2021 - 01:54 AM

And 6th, that's not "Marxist politics," that's politics in general. Right-wing Fascists use the same crap logic just as much, as Trump proved over the past 5 years (Blaming a specific Group for all of the US's problems, much like a certain German did with Jews).

Yeah, but that paradigm that has a distinct framework than just basic catch-all tribalism is used as a basis for a lot of stuff, of academic stuff too. Like the Critical Theory of the Frankfurt School is literally just Marxism applied to culture.

#13 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 01:22 PM

View PostSeraph Basarab, on 08 October 2021 - 02:30 PM, said:

I mean great. Handle getting rights where it matters: "the real world." Not going to find them in solaris city or canyon. Nobody in MWO was running around saying anyone shouldn't have rights.

Guys in the other thread were, which is why it because the Clusterfrak it did.

In any event, Ladies, Gents, and/or others, this discussion is pointless, let's just all shut the hell up about it, and go blow up some Stompy robots in our own Stompy robots. It's why we're all here, after all. A gaming forum is not going to change society, or anyone of importance or influence's minds on the matter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users