Lrm Cheat?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:23 AM

I have just come from a game in which a most bizarre thing happened. I recieved an incoming missile warning and as per usual broke contact and line of sight and tried to hide. Despite this, and for a full 30 seconds, missiles continued to rain down even though there was no possible way for a spotter to have LOS on me, only ending when I powered down. Upon powering back up after about 10 seconds the missile rain instantly resumed for several more seconds before finally petering out.
How is this possible?

#2 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:31 AM

TAG

#3 Lord Sevenous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 360 posts
  • LocationGermany, Münster (North Rhine-Westphalia)

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:35 AM

UAV, ECM/Stealth light spotting, NARC..... etc etc

#4 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:43 AM

I thought that too but couldnt see the distinctive red beam and besides, I had completely broken LOS from all around, unless they were in the hole with me.

#5 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:47 AM

Most likely a stealth mech somewhere or much simpler...a UAV that you didn't notice.
Seen it happen and happening to me so often that I missed a UAV or that I didn't notice the stealth mech till I was dead and I saw him during the "dead spinning" animation where you can see your stats, running over my remains ^_^

#6 Vincent DIFrancesco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHiding behind a rock, waiting for the "rain" to stop.

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:55 AM

Enemy UAVs occasionally don't show on the mini-map. There was probably one over you somewhere. It happens.

#7 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 10:27 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 03 November 2021 - 09:23 AM, said:

How is this possible?

First, you only think that no enemy 'Mech had LoS on you. It is possible that some tiny enemy Flea was peeking from behind some corner or rock.

Second, there was possibly some UAV that you have not noticed on the background of the sky.

Third, and I think the most probable from your description, you were narced. Some 'Mechs come with quirked TAG and NARC (range, duration, etc.) and if the enemy spotter unlocked skill nodes for even longer NARC Beacon duration ...

Nothing personal, but under heavy LRM rain mere seconds can feel like minutes ... Posted Image

#8 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 03 November 2021 - 10:46 AM

You fell victim to a tag team, but the secret is the R key no need to fire a tag and give away your location.
And on most maps you'll never see the beam trust me I'm a boss.

#9 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:01 PM

Ah thanks lads, your probably right, it might have been a UAV. Still felt like a right bummer, it pretty much wrote me out of the match before it began (Hellspawn 8sp SRM boat).

#10 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:16 PM

It shows an icon when you are Tagged, much like Narc. I have also experienced times where I continue to get LRMed when not tagged or narced. And it continues even when I shut down, so it's not a UAV either.

I suspect there is some sort of bug going on, but probably rare enough to escape notice.

If it happens again, double check if you are tagged or Narced.

#11 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:30 PM

Future you will be able to defeat LRMs. Takes skill, and it will be great feat.

#12 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 06:28 PM

Kek, thanks lads, but im actually quite good against LRM's, they usually dont give me any bother unless im out of position and/or in something big and slow. Hence why I was surprised.

#13 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:47 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 03 November 2021 - 05:01 PM, said:

Ah thanks lads, your probably right, it might have been a UAV. Still felt like a right bummer, it pretty much wrote me out of the match before it began (Hellspawn 8sp SRM boat).

Happens to the best of us, man. I primarily run Dire Wolves and Mad Dogs. The worst thing is when I get singled out in my Dire and have to spend most of the time sat on my thumb behind a rock not shooting or sharing armour.

#14 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:05 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 03 November 2021 - 09:23 AM, said:

I have just come from a game in which a most bizarre thing happened. I recieved an incoming missile warning and as per usual broke contact and line of sight and tried to hide. Despite this, and for a full 30 seconds, missiles continued to rain down even though there was no possible way for a spotter to have LOS on me, only ending when I powered down. Upon powering back up after about 10 seconds the missile rain instantly resumed for several more seconds before finally petering out.
How is this possible?

One thing people have mostly forgotten to mention is that is lrm can still be fired dumb with no lock. The lrm-ing mech will have to have los and a clear path to you so anything like a bridge,tunnel,sign etc would have blocked the lrm from hitting you. The is lrm arc dumb fired is still pretty shallow but i suspect as others have pointed it it was most likely uav/stealth spotter.

Narc does have an icon on your hud with says narc in red and in a red box. Tag you mostly have to see it. A few mechs have quirks for longer narc and can add more time to it with skill tree. Rvns have the most that I'm aware of.

#15 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 November 2021 - 05:58 AM

Its why LRMs/ATMs should be forced to get their own locks.. They are so cheap these days..

#16 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:11 AM

no offense dude, but you're in this game since 2016 .. how.......? Posted Image

#17 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:36 AM

View PostMechaGnome, on 04 November 2021 - 05:58 AM, said:

Its why LRMs/ATMs should be forced to get their own locks.. They are so cheap these days..

LRMs are not especially formidable weapons system - neither are ATMs after the last nerf, for that matter.

#18 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 November 2021 - 07:43 AM

Nah not TAG. Enemy UAV directly above you won't show on minimap. Easiest way to counter LRMs is to first check where they are coming from and then try and block them, instead of running for cover and praying, since indirect fire can clear most obstacles.

#19 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:04 AM

There was probably a stealth locust standing 3 feet next to you the whole time.

#20 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:08 AM

Just because you can't see the enemy does not mean they cannot see you.

Many Mechs do not have their cockpit at the very top and thus when it looks like you're hiding the top of your mech might be sticking out from behind cover. Also a lot of mechs are quite fat and the same thing can happen with arms. Or if there is any holes in the cover you are using such as new your feet. They will still lock you.

So question is. What mech were you in and where were you hiding?

Other explanations include:

being narced and not noticing.

Someone unseen to you was spotting for the LRMer

They have maxed out target retention skils and you have 0 radar deprevation and "30 seconds straight" is just hyperbole.

Some maps like Alpine have graphical errors at long range where seeig through hills happens. This may allow locks sometimes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users