- - - - -

New Player Needs Help With Hunchback Play

13 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonteuthis

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:26 AM

Hello all! I'm a very new player to this specific game. I had actually downloaded it over a year ago but never dipped in, but finally started up earlier this week. I'd been playing the BattleTech video game by Harebrained Studios and am interested in piloting a 'Mech myself.

So far I've mostly piloted a stock C4 Catapult. I feel like I'm contributing in it. I usually do 350+ damage in a match, on very rare occasions I hit 600. Of course I often screw up and get myself knocked out at much lower numbers, but I can usually see what I did wrong.

I've also dabbled with a stock Marauder (I forget what the model name is; the one with the AC/5) and though my damage isn't as high as the Catapult, it's still in the multiple hundreds and I feel like I'm contributing to the team, even if a lot of that contribution is soaking a lot of damage so others don't have to :-P

My issue is that the third 'Mech I really want to pilot well is the classic Hunchback 4G. I just love the looks of that 'Mech, and I love how the AC/20 makes it a scrappy brawler that, when luck is one its side, can punch way above its weight.

But I'm not doing well in the Hunchback. My damage has been at most maybe 130 in a match, and usually well below a hundred. I try flanking, but it just doesn't seem to work. I looked in the FAQs for a Hunchback article but didn't find one. Am I missing something? Do I need better experience, do I need to hang back longer, learn the maps better? Is there a "key" to successful Hunchbacking, or is it just generally a 'Mech for higher-skilled players?

Another question is, how do I get equipment upgrades? I can only find stock stuff in the store, and this game doesn't seem to have drops. Is stock equipment the only way, or can one get double heat sinks, for example?

Thanks in advance for all your replies! And apologies if these questions have an easily-found answer, but I promise, I looked through the "New Players Start Here" thread and others, and couldn't find anything useful.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,231 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 02:13 AM

Greetings!

View PostDragonteuthis, on 29 October 2021 - 01:26 AM, said:

Hello all! I'm a very new player to this specific game. I had actually downloaded it over a year ago but never dipped in, but finally started up earlier this week. I'd been playing the BattleTech video game by Harebrained Studios and am interested in piloting a 'Mech myself.

MechWarrior Online is a different game, it requires different mindset. You have already noticed that

So far I've mostly piloted a stock C4 Catapult. I feel like I'm contributing in it. I usually do 350+ damage in a match, on very rare occasions I hit 600. Of course I often screw up and get myself knocked out at much lower numbers, but I can usually see what I did wrong.

CPLT-C4 Catapult is a common beginner's 'Mech. Do you have Target Acquisition Gear and Beagle Active Probe on it? Artemis IV can be useful sometimes too.

I've also dabbled with a stock Marauder (I forget what the model name is; the one with the AC/5) and though my damage isn't as high as the Catapult, it's still in the multiple hundreds and I feel like I'm contributing to the team, even if a lot of that contribution is soaking a lot of damage so others don't have to :-P

Yeah, MAD-3R.

My issue is that the third 'Mech I really want to pilot well is the classic Hunchback 4G. I just love the looks of that 'Mech, and I love how the AC/20 makes it a scrappy brawler that, when luck is one its side, can punch way above its weight.

Yes, HBK-4G is a classical 'Mech.

But I'm not doing well in the Hunchback. My damage has been at most maybe 130 in a match, and usually well below a hundred. I try flanking, but it just doesn't seem to work. I looked in the FAQs for a Hunchback article but didn't find one. Am I missing something? Do I need better experience, do I need to hang back longer, learn the maps better? Is there a "key" to successful Hunchbacking, or is it just generally a 'Mech for higher-skilled players?

Essentially, the 'Mech is slightly obsolete. It was left behind by the general power creep, although it can still offer some useful service, especially some other variants.

As for tactics, you should stay with the team, support heavier 'Mechs when they engage some target. Do not wander alone.

As for loadout, try to use Gauss Rifle or Light Gauss Rifle instead of AC-20. You will have more range.

Another question is, how do I get equipment upgrades? I can only find stock stuff in the store, and this game doesn't seem to have drops. Is stock equipment the only way, or can one get double heat sinks, for example?

Start in the Mechlab with your HBK-4G.

Posted Image

1. Click on the small arrow in the "Structure" tab.

Posted Image

2. Click "Endo-steel".

3. Read the description.

Posted Image

4. Endo-steel takes up 14 slots on your 'Mech, but it will save you same weight.

5. Endo-steel upgrade will cost you 500 000

Posted Image

The same way you can switch to Double Heat Sinks, Ferro-fibrous armor or Artemis IV Fire Control System.

Of course, you can always downgrade to standard equipment (if you 'Mech already has ES, DHS or FF), but you will pay again. So think twice before you click "Save". Posted Image

I mean, it can be costly to buy some upgrade, pay for it, then realize that you actually do not need/want it, and they pay again to remove that upgrade.

Try these two online 'Mechlabs to design your 'Mechs before you spend $, or .
MechDB
MechDB 2.0

Thanks in advance for all your replies! And apologies if these questions have an easily-found answer, but I promise, I looked through the "New Players Start Here" thread and others, and couldn't find anything useful.

It's perfectly all right to ask here. This section is just for question like yours. Posted Image

Edited by martian, 29 October 2021 - 02:14 AM.

#3 Dragonteuthis

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 05:08 AM

Martian, thank you so very, very much! Your detailed explanation of how to actually get upgrades has improved my game immensely! Shortly after this post I did 249 damage in a match with my Hunchback - not very good I know, but worlds better than my previous best. And I actually survived the whole match, so I had a lot more *fun* even if I wasn't being particularly effective.

Thanks again!

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,231 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 05:17 AM

View PostDragonteuthis, on 29 October 2021 - 05:08 AM, said:

Martian, thank you so very, very much! Your detailed explanation of how to actually get upgrades has improved my game immensely! Shortly after this post I did 249 damage in a match with my Hunchback - not very good I know, but worlds better than my previous best. And I actually survived the whole match, so I had a lot more *fun* even if I wasn't being particularly effective.

Thanks again!

You are welcome! Posted Image

Before buying a new 'Mech - and especially before spending cash or MCs on a 'Mech - it is always a good idea to ask in this section. Ditto before spending million of C-Bills on some XL engine.

Because, honestly, some 'Mechs are not good. Some of them are mediocre and other ones are outright bad.

Many people do not understand that some 'Mech can be good in BattleTech, but it can suck in MechWarrior Online or vice versa.

#5 Heart of Storm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 155 posts
  • Location[Redacted]

Posted 29 October 2021 - 06:27 AM

Thing with the AC20 hunchie is you're a one-trick pony and everyone knows what that trick is and will try shoot your hunch out as soon as they see you. As mentioned power creep also means a single AC20 isn't the big scary thing it once was, so you have to play smart with it.

I find the best success with my small mech/big gun builds (Yen-Lo Wang HBK-4G) is to use comms to find the big brawlers on your team and hang out with them, your fast enough, and have a scary enough gun to chase lights away, and you can add to their weight of firepower quite nicely whilst sharing their armour (don't forget to take a few hits on your off side now and again. You should see better damage scores working with someone else, the 4G doesn't do well in 1v1s against other mechs.

If you like hunchies, I would recommend the Swayback (forget the number, its the one with all the lasers in the hunch). You can boat a lot of lasers and i find it outperforms the AC20 variant. Also teaches heat management, which helps.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,231 posts

Posted 29 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

View PostHeart of Storm, on 29 October 2021 - 06:27 AM, said:

If you like hunchies, I would recommend the Swayback (forget the number, its the one with all the lasers in the hunch). You can boat a lot of lasers and i find it outperforms the AC20 variant. Also teaches heat management, which helps.

HBK-4P is not a bad 'Mech, but since the OP already owns one Hunchback, I would say that buying another one is probably not neccessary.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 29 October 2021 - 07:56 AM

AND... Before you hit that SAVE button.. you can take the mech to the Testing Grounds!! Depending on monitor resolution, it is in that little box that says MECH STATS in the lower right, right under STRIP MECH (several options) and RESET MECH (reset to last saved configuration).

This can also be used before buying any mechs.

Posted Image

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 29 October 2021 - 01:26 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 29 October 2021 - 07:56 AM, said:

AND... Before you hit that SAVE button.. you can take the mech to the Testing Grounds!! Depending on monitor resolution, it is in that little box that says MECH STATS in the lower right, right under STRIP MECH (several options) and RESET MECH (reset to last saved configuration).

This can also be used before buying any mechs.

Posted Image

THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

The mechlab essentially gives you "try before you buy" against dummy targets. use it to figure out weapon groups, heat, and other things before you commit precious cBills!

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 October 2021 - 03:06 PM

View PostHeart of Storm, on 29 October 2021 - 06:27 AM, said:

I find the best success with my small mech/big gun builds (Yen-Lo Wang HBK-4G) is to use comms to find the big brawlers on your team and hang out with them, your fast enough, and have a scary enough gun to chase lights away, and you can add to their weight of firepower quite nicely whilst sharing their armour (don't forget to take a few hits on your off side now and again. You should see better damage scores working with someone else, the 4G doesn't do well in 1v1s against other mechs.

Hunchbuddy tactics, in a word. =) Find your Big, make sure you don't block his movement when he needs to back up, punish lights for attacking him, and hit what he hits. If the brawler goes in for the hard engage (leaves cover and commits to a fight,) go in with him and move through the enemy team. Aside from being great practice in how to twist and turn to spread incoming damage, it also forces the enemy to choose whether to expose their rear arc to your AC/20 - or to the guns of the Assault 'mech you've been following around. =) Every Assault brawler can use a good Hunchbuddy.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:04 AM

Hunchback 4G is most effective if you have patience and timing. You can't one-on-one most mechs, so don't try. Try upgrading the engine to 250 or so (use Light XL). (Protip: You can swap engines between mechs you own. Strip from one, save, select other mech, presto, it's in inventory. As a beginner, engines can take a significant cut of your income until you build up your inventory. Also look out for sales!). I think I have mine outfitted with AC20 and 3 Med Pulse lasers right now. The main issue is the effective range is only about 300 m, and most fights are ~300-700m. This is where the timing and patience comes in to make the most use of it without being killed. Alternatively, you can swap the AC20 for a different AC, or even multiple small ones in that variant. If 270 m is too short, try AC10. I know the 4H is outfitted this way, but since you already have it, you can still run it. You can also play with UAC10. Tap twice, pull back in cover. By all means, experiment! MWO's customization is unmatched in the mechlab compared to all other current games in the series.

If you really like the Hunchback, you can also try the Centurion. It's got a similar playstyle, but the hardpoint layout is different and it's gotten a bit more love this year in quirks. Neither chassis are top tier by any means, but they are classic beginner chassis, and used to be often recommended. In a capable pilot's hands, they can still do well.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 30 October 2021 - 07:08 AM.

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 October 2021 - 12:36 AM

Low damage usually comes from dying too early. Play more cautiously, let bigger mechs spearhead the attack and support them rather than make yourself the spearhead and scout with your face. And, obviously, max your armor (unless you have no weapons in your arms, then strip the hell out of those), frontload it (rule of thumb: if you have more than 5 pts rear armor on any torso, you have too much and it will be more useful up front) and add the armor nodes from the survival skill tree on top of that.

They're all in the mechlab. With the exception of hero omnipods for clan mechs (those come with hero mechs only, but can be taken off and installed on another chassis), your only restriction in terms of upgrade and equipment availability is how many C-Bills you have in your account (obviously the mechs are still limited by chassis weight, slots and hardpoints)

You'll probably find the mechlab guides by MechNexus and Tarogato to be somewhat informative:
https://docs.google....0u-o3QoPoM/edit
https://docs.google....xjxid9-EXw/edit

Also, and that's quite important, don't forget the Skill Tree. You'll find that the survival upgrades (and for some mechs, radar deprivation and mobility upgrades) can make a big difference in how long you last. Since you're in low tiers, you might benefit from maxing out the Radar Deprivation on that Hunchback to avoid LRMs

Edited by Horseman, 31 October 2021 - 12:47 AM.

#12 B1zmark

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 02:44 AM

If you like the AC-20 playstyle in a medium mech, I'd recommend the Yen-Lo-Wang Centurion. It's a hero mech so will cost real money, but if you see it on sale, i'd recommend it. I've owned it from release and made probably... 10 people buy it? None of them regret it.

It's a mech that, in the current meta of laser and jump jets, makes no sense. But it performs well - takes a long time to master and will reward you with lots of damage and CBills the more you practice it.

There's a lot of different ways to play it and build it, but I've found as a rule of thumb, moving around 100 KPH or faster seems to change the game a lot. You get hit less and hits don't core you as quickly. It's not something i can give you a scientific/engine reason for, but people i talk to experience the same thing. Drop 10-15KPH and suddenly you die a lot more.

Right now for public games i run: AC/20 - 2x Med Laser - 3.5 tons of ammo (CASE), Light 285 Engine. Needs double heat sinks, endo steel structure and ferro Armor. I skill it into maximum speed/manoeuvrability then maximum bonus armour, then into firepower tree to get more ammo per ton skills for more shots (and range/cooldown secondarily).

Like the Hunchback and Catapult, it's a cult mech. But it's one that can still perform in the modern game.

Edited by B1zmark, 09 November 2021 - 02:45 AM.

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 09 November 2021 - 07:11 AM

Centurion A brings nearly all the advantages that the Yen-Lo has, notably missing the 20% range boost on the autocannon. But its cBills, and those are easier to get. Posted Image

But as to the Yen-Lo ... why not use the Ultra AC/20? For one more ton you get nearly double the rate of fire, a 20% jam reduction, and all the quirks of the regular AC/20.

https://mwo.nav-alph...c4e3958_CN9-YLW

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 09 November 2021 - 07:17 AM.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,231 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 04:27 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 30 October 2021 - 07:04 AM, said:

The main issue is the effective range is only about 300 m, and most fights are ~300-700m.

Almost invariably, whenever I drop in the classical Hunchback, I get the Alpine Peaks map. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users