#22 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 04:21 PM

View PostI O O percent KongLord, on 31 October 2021 - 12:15 PM, said:

rofl the arrogance... actually made me lmao irl

Were you referring to the OP or something else?

#23 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 31 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

coin looks cool

I should display some of mine I got from the military

#24 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 05:18 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 31 October 2021 - 04:59 PM, said:

coin looks cool

I should display some of mine I got from the military

Thanks, we're getting it minted as an MWO memorabilia.

#25 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:27 AM

View PostNightbird, on 31 October 2021 - 05:18 PM, said:

Thanks, we're getting it minted as an MWO memorabilia.

I had some made while I was TDY to S Korea
price was not to bad but that was years ago

#26 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 02:25 PM

I just watched the videos.
Yes, it's pretty blatant, and I'm not surprised by who it is and what unit they belong to.
Sad. It's a disgrace.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 01 November 2021 - 02:25 PM.

#27 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 02:37 PM

Thankfully, I suck entirely too bad to be accused of cheating. Some people just can't accept that there are really, really, really good players out there who will absolutely wreck an entire team.

#28 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 02:58 PM

View PostIhlrath, on 01 November 2021 - 02:37 PM, said:

Some people just can't accept that there are really, really, really good players out there who can see through walls.

^

#29 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:10 PM

I've never suspected anyone in 2war of cheating, played loads of FP mattches against you and never seen anything suspicious.

However I fail to see how being able to ask someone for a stream would be a way to guarantee you're not cheating, if I were a cheater and asked to stream in this manner I would just turn off the cheats while streaming.

The only way this would work would be if you could organise a way to watch you play without warning, basically everyone on the team would have to stream all the time. In it's current form this initiative probably has the opposite effect, looking more like a way to cover.

Edited by Sjorpha, 01 November 2021 - 03:11 PM.

#30 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 November 2021 - 03:25 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 01 November 2021 - 03:10 PM, said:

I've never suspected anyone in 2war of cheating, played loads of FP mattches against you and never seen anything suspicious.

However I fail to see how being able to ask someone for a stream would be a way to guarantee you're not cheating, if I were a cheater and asked to stream in this manner I would just turn off the cheats while streaming.

The only way this would work would be if you could organise a way to watch you play without warning, basically everyone on the team would have to stream all the time. In it's current form this initiative probably has the opposite effect, looking more like a way to cover.

That's why I said in the first post I wished there was a better way. Other games allow you to download a server's log of a match after it ends and you can watch every player's perspective at will, and this was used to catch cheating. We're limited in what we can offer.

That been said, if we perform just as well when you are watching as when you are not, then that should at least indicate we're not using a clutch. If you have any better ideas, please share.

#31 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2021 - 05:08 AM

Cheaters are in all games.. Its a fact!

That said luckily most tend to go to tier 1 obviously.. and the player pool is somewhat low so hackers are rarer in this from many years playing..

That said i see them occasionally..

Edited by MechaGnome, 02 November 2021 - 11:38 PM.

#32 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:27 AM

View PostNightbird, on 01 November 2021 - 03:25 PM, said:

That's why I said in the first post I wished there was a better way. Other games allow you to download a server's log of a match after it ends and you can watch every player's perspective at will, and this was used to catch cheating. We're limited in what we can offer.

That been said, if we perform just as well when you are watching as when you are not, then that should at least indicate we're not using a clutch. If you have any better ideas, please share.

As far as reputation goes, I think the best course of action for strong units is to simply ignore hackusations and cheating completely (outside of comp) as the very minor issue that it is.

Internally just look out for signs that any of your members cheat, and if it happens report them and kick them from the unit. Don't make an external thing about it though, just be secure that you have your own proper way to handle it and let other people think whatever they want to think.

I agree it's a shame that we don't have a replay system in MWO but it is what it is at this point.

I don't think there is many (if any) units in this game that encourages or looks kindly at cheating, the few instances of cheaters being properly exposed with proof I view as a matter concerning individuals being exposed, which is good when it happens of course.

My experience here is mostly from FP since I've never played comp, but basically there are never hackusations from people who matter to me. Whenever we face real opposition, like you guys or one of the other decent units, we all know the other side is legit and are happy to get a real match. So why bother? Honestly?

Now of course cheating is a bad thing and there could be more effort put into catching cheaters, but my opinion is that it's only a real issue in comp (not because its necessarily more common there but because it matters in a completely different way) and I trust the MWO comp community to spot and handle that on their own or in cooperation with PGI.

Outside of comp it isn't common or impactful enough to be worth spending any real resources on IMO, neither for PGI as a business or for us as units (PGI should follow up on reports and check if cheating can be confirmed but that's it). Whether the intention is to catch cheaters or to virtue signal about how legit your unit supposedly is, I think it's a complete waste of time in both cases.

Edited by Sjorpha, 02 November 2021 - 07:47 AM.

#33 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:38 AM

I understand your opinion, but I think it is the worse solution to simply ignore it. We have turned away two prospects for hacking, they never made it into the unit, but they're also still playing the game.

#34 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:57 AM

View PostNightbird, on 02 November 2021 - 07:38 AM, said:

I understand your opinion, but I think it is the worse solution to simply ignore it. We have turned away two prospects for hacking, they never made it into the unit, but they're also still playing the game.

I'm not telling you to ignore instances when you happen upon clear evidence of cheating concerning individuals, report it to PGI. Like I said all units should have a 0 tolerance for cheating and a routine for dealing with it if they see it in members or prospects.

So they're still playing? Presumably because PGI didn't follow up your reports properly? I mean what can you really do? Does this kind of paper tiger declaration for your unit help getting them banned? I don't think so, public displays of moralism never accomplish anything. PGI either puts the necessary resources into following up reports of cheating or they don't, but once you've rejected those prospects and reported them I think you've done all that you can and should do as a unit. If you see them enlisted in comp events you can notice the organisers that you suspect they'll be cheating.

I think the best way to reduce cheating is to encourage and support units and organised play as much as possible, social accountability is more effective than punishment and naturally reduces the incentive to cheat. Those guys you rejected wanted to join your unit, they lost something by cheating and now they are know in your circle as hackers. That in itself isn't nothing.

Edited by Sjorpha, 02 November 2021 - 08:04 AM.

#35 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:07 AM

View PostNightbird, on 30 October 2021 - 08:53 AM, said:

We've had accusations against multiple members of our unit. Also, please keep any who accused whom discussions out of this thread since it is against ToC.

We dont agree about certain things, but 2WAR is legit unit. Never has been suspicion against these guys. There is that one unit that has been suspicious over the years...

#36 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:11 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 02 November 2021 - 07:57 AM, said:

So they're still playing? Presumably because PGI didn't follow up your reports properly? I mean what can you really do? Does this kind of paper tiger declaration for your unit help getting them banned?

PGI does not follow-up hacking reports even with evidence.

This declaration from my unit will be referred to for future accusers. I also put in an encouragement for other units to participate at the end of the OP. If every decent unit does it, cheats will have no place to hide and will forced to solo play and eventually quit.

#37 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:08 AM

my most recent accusation was from a guy who i headshot. while it may seem like cheating to score a headshot on a mech, at 150 meters, with no head armor installed while they are shut down, from overheating.

its up there with the guy who accused me of hax when my ultraviolet's uac2s didnt jam. i was running cac2s, he just couldn't understand why anyone would run cac2s when uac2s are "better".

Edited by LordNothing, 02 November 2021 - 09:15 AM.

#38 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:14 AM

I'm assuming all of this relates to the recent reddit thread?

#39 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:17 AM

View PostSagara Sousuke 011011001, on 02 November 2021 - 09:14 AM, said:

I'm assuming all of this relates to the recent reddit thread?

Yes and no. Yes because that event drives up interest in ensuring fair play and begs the question what can we do when PGI doesn't do anything. No because we're happy to prove we play fairly anytime people spend the time to click into our discord.

#40 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 10:22 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 02 November 2021 - 10:21 AM, said:

Please delete your post before you get moderated, you went too far.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users