General Social

12 replies to this topic

#1 blastedmast3R

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 31 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:00 PM

So, I'm relatively new to MWO, I've only played since the spring, and this is my first post here. I just want to say, this is easily the best game community I've run across. I've been a gamer for a long time. We're talking Atari in 1986. I was active in the Bungie.net community back in the early 2000s, as well as the Xbox.com forums around the same time. I also dabbled in the modding community for Space Engineers a few years ago. I've been around the block.

This past weekend was packed full of matches where the in-game communication was on point, and the level of good sportsmanship (or sportspersonship, if you prefer) was very high. Everyone seemed very pleased to be there, and though there were a few salty characters, they were few and far between.

It was a distinct pleasure. Thanks everyone, and please keep it up!

-blastedmast3R

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:23 PM

View Postblastedmast3R, on 08 November 2021 - 01:00 PM, said:

So, I'm relatively new to MWO, I've only played since the spring, and this is my first post here. I just want to say, this is easily the best game community I've run across. I've been a gamer for a long time. We're talking Atari in 1986. I was active in the Bungie.net community back in the early 2000s, as well as the Xbox.com forums around the same time. I also dabbled in the modding community for Space Engineers a few years ago. I've been around the block.

This past weekend was packed full of matches where the in-game communication was on point, and the level of good sportsmanship (or sportspersonship, if you prefer) was very high. Everyone seemed very pleased to be there, and though there were a few salty characters, they were few and far between.

-blastedmast3R

Noob! Git gud loser!

Just kidding, welcome to MWO! Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:33 PM

View Postblastedmast3R, on 08 November 2021 - 01:00 PM, said:

-blastedmast3R

Glad you're here!
Don't let any salt posters get you down :)

#4 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 08 November 2021 - 01:38 PM

Good to read something positive.

Sounds like we are about the same age. I earned my Atari 2600 by mowing grass.

Edited by knight-of-ni, 08 November 2021 - 06:09 PM.

#5 blastedmast3R

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 31 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:26 PM

View Postknight-of-ni, on 08 November 2021 - 01:38 PM, said:

Sounds like we about the same age. I earned my Atari 2600 by mowing grass.

Probably so, I turned 41 this year (ouch). I was rocking Battlezone and Asteroids on the Atari 7800. I think that was the black sheep of the Atari consoles, but I didn't know any better. I loved it. I even had a copy of that ET game that they buried all the surplus in the desert.

#6 Hela Centrella

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:29 PM

Glad you had a good time, hope you stick around!

#7 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 04:31 PM

Feel free to friend request me in game if you need a group to drop with.

#8 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,426 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 08 November 2021 - 05:06 PM

A warm welcome to MWO !

My own first run in with video games is also with the Atari 2600 (Star Raiders) !

Wishing you a happy stay ;)

#9 Vamboozle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 10 November 2021 - 12:52 AM

Hello and welcome to the Sphere.

Old time gamer here (old enough to remember being amazed by the first colour tv I saw).

I love the MWO community - the salty ones are rare. My favourite group are the ones I’ve called “drunk antipodeans” - no idea if they are drunk but they are hilarious - sometimes found myself laughing too hard to play properly.

#10 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:17 AM

View PostVamboozle, on 10 November 2021 - 12:52 AM, said:

My favourite group are the ones I’ve called “drunk antipodeans” - no idea if they are drunk but they are hilarious - sometimes found myself laughing too hard to play properly.

Games are supposed to be "fun"... Aligning yourself with the right players or groups makes a huge difference in whether games, especially online games, are enjoyable.

Sadly new players often are a little shy on buddying-up and get soured before they have an opportunity to experience "fun". Posted Image

#11 blastedmast3R

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 31 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 11 November 2021 - 12:13 PM

View PostVamboozle, on 10 November 2021 - 12:52 AM, said:

“drunk antipodeans”

Posted Image

View PostDaZur, on 10 November 2021 - 09:17 AM, said:

Games are supposed to be "fun"... Aligning yourself with the right players or groups makes a huge difference in whether games, especially online games, are enjoyable.

Sadly new players often are a little shy on buddying-up and get soured before they have an opportunity to experience "fun". Posted Image

That was me for a little while. Other games soured me on the idea of a game community actually acting like a community. Then I turned on my VOIP. You guys have a good thing going here.

#12 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 November 2021 - 07:27 PM

I think the biggest difference is that the playerbase tends to be a little older than most other games out there. There's generally not a lot of toxicity in-game from my experience. There's more here on the forums than in-game but it's still manageable. PGI also is more hands-off since they started development on MW5 a few years ago. Most of the toxicity of the past was aimed at a decision they made.

#13 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,426 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:37 PM

Just try LRM Assault boat.
And watch the fireworks start (and not the LRM kind). ;)

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 11 November 2021 - 07:27 PM, said:

I think the biggest difference is that the playerbase tends to be a little older than most other games out there. There's generally not a lot of toxicity in-game from my experience. There's more here on the forums than in-game but it's still manageable. PGI also is more hands-off since they started development on MW5 a few years ago. Most of the toxicity of the past was aimed at a decision they made.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users