Been Away, Lrm Changes?

13 replies to this topic

#1 The14th

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 11:42 PM

Was away from MWO for a bit, trying to catch up with what changed. Was there any major changes to LRMs? It could just be my memory is off, but I don't remember individual volleys hitting quite so hard. Am I nuts?

#2 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 11:46 PM

View PostThe14th, on 11 November 2021 - 11:42 PM, said:

Was away from MWO for a bit, trying to catch up with what changed. Was there any major changes to LRMs? It could just be my memory is off, but I don't remember individual volleys hitting quite so hard. Am I nuts?

Nothing has changed on them.

Perhaps you were getting hit by IS LRMs (which fire in clumps), but your memory is of Clan LRMs (which fire in streams and spread all over the place.)

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:02 AM

View PostThe14th, on 11 November 2021 - 11:42 PM, said:

Well, that depends on how long you've been away. The last major change to LRMs was on March '19 https://mwomercs.com...atch-notes/2251

#4 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:59 AM

yeah back then they nerfed a bunch of stuff that supports LRM but gave LRM two firing angles (a flatter trajectory when firing direct fire and a the original high arc when indirect.) also Artimis is not really worth the tonnage anymore as it only effects spread in direct fire and nothing else (a TC or something would be better use of the same tonnage). they also shrank down the area you need to keep your cross hairs in to get a lock, its extremely tiny now.

#5 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 12 November 2021 - 06:22 AM

If your tier reflects how long you have been away, then yes the LRM changes already mentioned will be new to you.
I was in the same category.... got knocked down to tier 5 due to being away a really long time.

#6 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 November 2021 - 06:35 AM

The important takeaways from the 2019 change is that lock ons are faster with line of sight (or NARC) no matter the range, and slower with indirect fire... but indirect fire lock ons get faster the closer you are. Also, missile spread is tighter with line-of-sight and stacks with Artemis spread improvement.

Aaaand... pay attention to the new mech quirks. There have been a lot of recent changes, and the best missile mechs are the ones that have not only cooldown for missile rate of fire, but also tighter spread and/or velocity. MechDB is a good site to look this stuff up on.

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/

#7 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:22 AM

also some mechs even got a target retention time boost (the Stalker-3FB has a +1 retention boost) so the target stays on your radar just that bit longer after you lose line of sight. its not much bit it is the difference of your volley losing lock before it hits and actually retaining long enough to hit. hell might even be able to get another shot off before you lose lock if you are under 300m or so.

(thanks for adding the bit about direct fire lock times i forgot about that. i still find Artemis (it doesn't effect lock times in any way) not worth the tonnage for something that only helps a small amount only half the time, less than half in some matches. better to just slap on a TAG especially if you are running multiple launchers)

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 12 November 2021 - 07:23 AM.

#8 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:51 AM

Welcome back to MWO!

LRM behavior remains unchanged both for IS & Clan per se.
Clan ATM had major changes, basically losing its IDF (Indirect Fire) mode, aka shoot over the hill.

By the way, should you wish to quickly get up to speed with the numerous changes since April 2021 (aka Cauldron patches), you can read this thread as a starter:
https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes

Wishing you a nice stay in MWO !

Edited by w0qj, 12 November 2021 - 07:52 AM.

#9 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 03:08 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 12 November 2021 - 07:22 AM, said:

also some mechs even got a target retention time boost (the Stalker-3FB has a +1 retention boost) so the target stays on your radar just that bit longer after you lose line of sight. its not much bit it is the difference of your volley losing lock before it hits and actually retaining long enough to hit. hell might even be able to get another shot off before you lose lock if you are under 300m or so.

(thanks for adding the bit about direct fire lock times i forgot about that. i still find Artemis (it doesn't effect lock times in any way) not worth the tonnage for something that only helps a small amount only half the time, less than half in some matches. better to just slap on a TAG especially if you are running multiple launchers)

I think you mean Target Decay. IIRC, Target Retention keeps things locked longer when they are in LOS but outside the lockon cone (usually behind you). Target Decay keeps them locked longer when they break LOS entirely.

#10 The14th

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 06:04 PM

Thanks to everybody who responded. It's helping a lot in getting back up to speed 'cus I haven't played regularly since 2019.

#11 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:06 PM

View PostThe14th, on 12 November 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

Thanks to everybody who responded. It's helping a lot in getting back up to speed 'cus I haven't played regularly since 2019.

I'd recommend all the target retention,decay and sensor range skill nodes with the clan/beagle active probe. I had a lrm show down with an ac20 4 ml lrm 20 atlas in a cat c1 4ml lrm 15. I won due to having all the nodes with only 56% left of my mech in a duel on conquest on mining. Max sensors and having a uav or two helps. I should've had a tag but I find myself using lasers more often with all the newer ecm mechs about.

#12 tenchugecko

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:55 PM

The warning Sounds are still way to late.

#13 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 13 November 2021 - 09:08 PM

View Posttenchugecko, on 13 November 2021 - 03:55 PM, said:

The warning Sounds are still way to late.

Incoming mis… BOOM. Posted Image
Still, it’s way better than the warning you get when any other weapon is being fired at you.

CRUNCH. Incoming gauss rifle? I figured that out, thanks. CRUNCH.

#14 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:19 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 13 November 2021 - 09:08 PM, said:

Incoming mis… BOOM. Posted Image
Still, it’s way better than the warning you get when any other weapon is being fired at you.

CRUNCH. Incoming gauss rifle? I figured that out, thanks. CRUNCH.

I'd love for pgi to do an april fools patch. The only thing added for the next two days or so is an incoming weapon name warning replacing the missile text with to whatever is being fired at you. Incoming dual hdr? wtf?! You have died! Incoming er-ppcs! You have died!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users