Am I Helping My Team?

46 replies to this topic

#41 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2021 - 05:45 PM

View PostEscef, on 27 November 2021 - 05:26 PM, said:

Hitreg tends to get wonky when trying to track multiple projectiles in a small area, especially when the fight is going full swing (when the system is also tracking missiles and cannons all over the place). Even beam weapons aren't immune. There have been games where I threw literally hundreds of SRMs out with my splatdog, watched the vast majority of them connect, but at the end of match I barely did 2 alphas worth of damage.

It's not so much that your damage increases with chainfire, it's that your damage registers more accurately when you aren't lobbing 30+ projectiles at a target that's at most a handful of square meters in area. Or at least, this has been my observation. And it isn't like MWO is the only game that suffers from intermittent hitreg issues, just about every online shooter/combat-sim has issues from time to time. (Despite hitreg being better now than it was in the beta days, and HSR, people will still whine that certain light mechs benefit from "lagshield". While I don't think there is a significant issue, I suspect things are difficult for the hitreg system to suss out when dealing with the fastest movers in the game when there are 50+ projectiles and 4 or 5 hitscan weapons trying to converge on one of them.)

I've never seen this sort of thing happen. And I'd reckon that even if it can, its still better not to chainfire because chainfire spreads damage so badly. I'll take my chances with the hitreg.

#42 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 November 2021 - 06:36 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 27 November 2021 - 05:45 PM, said:

I've never seen this sort of thing happen. And I'd reckon that even if it can, its still better not to chainfire because chainfire spreads damage so badly. I'll take my chances with the hitreg.

All I can really say is good for you. Hell, I've seen hitreg go to crap in an NGNG livestream before. It happens. That said, I don't usually use chainfire. On my splatdog I just break the SRMs into 2 weapon groups of 3xSRM6 each (the heat on throwing all 36 missiles at once is nasty, if alpha'ing them was more reliable I'd be more tempted to do it). Only time I use chainfire is generally if I'm fooling around with something with 4+ LRM/ATM racks, and even then it's just to generate the annoyance effect. (Ok, I also use it on quad AC5 and quad LB10X Maulers, once again, purely for the sake of generating the annoyance of multiple, constant impacts.)

That said, I stand behind the idea that hitreg issues create the illusion of chainfire doing more damage. Chainfire might be a way to minimize hitreg issues, but under most circumstances it just isn't worth it. I mean, if you're chainfiring 4xML you're probably doing it wrong (just fire them all at once and move to cover/evade til they cycle back up).

#43 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:26 AM

View PostNecessaryWeevil, on 26 November 2021 - 11:33 AM, said:

Regardless of the mech I play, I tend to average around 300 damage per round, but in this one in particular that tends to come in the second half of the match.
So my question is - is this helping my team or is there a better way to do it, preferably while remaining at range?
PS This in Tier 5 where I seem to be permanently.
300 damage is low entry bar. If you want to get out of T5 you need to start dealing in the 400s.
As to whether it's helping your teams... https://mwomercs.com...NecessaryWeevil
You lose more often than you win, so statistically it's not helping.

View Postcaravann, on 26 November 2021 - 02:50 PM, said:

the light ppc is not for damage, it is to remove the ecm.
Congratulations, you've wasted 3 tons to counter 1.5 tons of enemy equipment that you could have countered with a Mk I Eyeball and Mk I Tactical Awareness package.

the lbx is not a main weapon in my example, it is to give critical chance boost without a computer.
Congratulations, this leaves your Blackjack with ONE main weapon - which is a ****ing AC2.

the lasers are not to stupidly hold down the button, it is to fire each and every laser one after another, this will increase the chances to make a critical hit.
Critical hits are not the be-all-end-all thing to strive for that you paint them as. What you are doing is smearing your damage all over the target when concentrating it on one part of the enemy mech would stand a better chance of popping that component and either eliminating your target outright or substantially reducing their combat ability.
While you're stupidly wasting time on tickling your enemy to death, your mech is also eating much more return fire than if you fired your shot ONCE and disengaged.
TL;DR: You're giving up a more substantial chance to maim or kill your opponent to spend extra time playing at trying to disarm them, taking more damage in the process.
TL;DR;TL;DR: You're playing to lose. Your "advice" is worthless.

Edited by Horseman, 28 November 2021 - 03:26 AM.

#44 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:25 AM

View PostHorseman, on 28 November 2021 - 03:26 AM, said:

Congratulations, you've wasted 3 tons to counter 1.5 tons of enemy equipment that you could have countered with a Mk I Eyeball and Mk I Tactical Awareness package.

ah, but the PPC cancelling ECM also gets your teammate's eyeballs on the target, making them aware of its position whether or not they could see it before. Plus, the light PPC is 5 points pinpoint at double the range of a hit scanning medium laser. its not the solution you want every time, but its a good weapon.

#45 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:42 AM

LPPC is 5.5 pts of damage Posted Image

#46 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 November 2021 - 12:12 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 28 November 2021 - 11:25 AM, said:

ah, but the PPC cancelling ECM also gets your teammate's eyeballs on the target, making them aware of its position whether or not they could see it before. Plus, the light PPC is 5 points pinpoint at double the range of a hit scanning medium laser. its not the solution you want every time, but its a good weapon.
Which is great on a PPC build - but when it's tacked on solely for the counter-ECM purposes, it's essentially a heavier, non-hitscan TAG (and another disparate weapon velocity for your ballistic primary build - unfortunately most opponents don't stand still or run straight at you).

#47 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:04 AM

PPC (of any kind) disabling enemy ECM is a useful secondary effect, but it is not the main selling point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users