Jump to content

Are They Still Adding Mechs?


24 replies to this topic

#1 Will Hawker

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:43 AM

So I've been away for a while and noticed most of the recent stuff is booster packs, so I was wondering if they still adding new mechs? I thought the Mongrel (Grendel) might make a good addition, but I don't know what the situation is regarding mwo developement.

#2 pattonesque

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:48 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 28 November 2021 - 07:43 AM, said:

So I've been away for a while and noticed most of the recent stuff is booster packs, so I was wondering if they still adding new mechs? I thought the Mongrel (Grendel) might make a good addition, but I don't know what the situation is regarding mwo developement.


no officially announced plans right now but it's more of a possibility than it was a year and a half ago

#3 martian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:15 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 28 November 2021 - 07:43 AM, said:

So I've been away for a while and noticed most of the recent stuff is booster packs, so I was wondering if they still adding new mechs? ...

There were some preliminary plans for possible new 'Mech that could be added in Autumn/Winter 2021, but nothing has come from it.


View PostWill Hawker, on 28 November 2021 - 07:43 AM, said:

... I thought the Mongrel (Grendel) might make a good addition, but I don't know what the situation is regarding mwo developement.

I have nothing against the addition of the Mongrel, but you should know that it has a full set of locked Jump Jets.

#4 pbiggz

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 November 2021 - 08:16 AM

francois "leaked" something. I dont know what mech it is but supposedly something is coming.

#5 Escef

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,241 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 November 2021 - 09:42 AM

IIRC, the last new chassis was the Dervish. Since then, there have been a handful of new variants of existing chassis. As others have said, there has been talk of a new chassis coming for a bit, but there's been little in the way concrete details.

#6 FupDup

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,769 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2021 - 10:33 AM

View Postmartian, on 28 November 2021 - 08:15 AM, said:

I have nothing against the addition of the Mongrel, but you should know that it has a full set of locked Jump Jets.

It's a decent mech but IMO the Clans already have plenty of fast mechs in the 40-45 ton range. Something with less engine and more gun like the Great Wyrm would stand out more.

#7 martian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:00 AM

View PostFupDup, on 28 November 2021 - 10:33 AM, said:

It's a decent mech but IMO the Clans already have plenty of fast mechs in the 40-45 ton range. Something with less engine and more gun like the Great Wyrm would stand out more.

"Something with less engine and more gun" is already in the game. It is called the Shadow Cat. Posted Image

Depending on armor allocation, the Shadow Cat would offer about three tons more for weapons than the Mongrel.

#8 FupDup

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,769 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:08 AM

View Postmartian, on 28 November 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

"Something with less engine and more gun" is already in the game. It is called the Shadow Cat. Posted Image

Depending on armor allocation, the Shadow Cat would offer about three tons more for weapons than the Mongrel.

The Scat doesn't have much gun and relies on high mobility, so I count it as a more Cicada-esque medium than a proper medium.

The Scat does have more pod space but fewer hardpoints (at least until the new variant comes). The Grendel would be better for boating small weapons and getting in close while the Scat is more of a mid to long range troll.

Posted Image

But now that I take another look at this I think the new Scat variant mostly makes this thing obsolete because you'd only max out at 7E + 1M on the Grendel vs. 6E on the Scat with more pod space.

Edited by FupDup, 28 November 2021 - 11:13 AM.


#9 martian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:15 AM

View PostFupDup, on 28 November 2021 - 11:08 AM, said:

The Scat doesn't have much gun and relies on high mobility, so I count it as a more Cicada-esque medium than a proper medium.

The Scat does have more pod space but fewer hardpoints (at least until the new variant comes). The Grendel would be better for boating red lasers and getting in close while the Scat is more of a mid to long range troll.

16 tons of pod space is not so bad. But if I undestand you correctly, you actually want more laser hardpoints, right?

Edited by martian, 28 November 2021 - 11:16 AM.


#10 FupDup

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,769 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:17 AM

View Postmartian, on 28 November 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

16 tons of pod space is not so bad. But if I undestand you correctly, you actually want more laser hardpoints, right?

More hardpoints in general, because those 16 tons go pretty quickly when using even mid-size weapons.

Or just more pod space (like the Great Wyrm) so that larger weapons are easier to mount.

Edited by FupDup, 28 November 2021 - 11:18 AM.


#11 martian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:30 AM

View PostFupDup, on 28 November 2021 - 11:17 AM, said:

More hardpoints in general, because those 16 tons go pretty quickly when using even mid-size weapons.

In my opinion PGI has quite wasted the opportunity to add more hardpoints with the new Shadow Cat variant.


View PostFupDup, on 28 November 2021 - 11:17 AM, said:

Or just more pod space (like the Great Wyrm) so that larger weapons are easier to mount.

Well, if you want space for more and larger guns, you have five variants of Hunchback IIC and two OmniMechs: Nova and Huntsman.

Hunchback IIC-A has 8 laser hardpoints, Nova Prime starts with 12 lasers. Posted Image

#12 FupDup

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,769 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:31 AM

View Postmartian, on 28 November 2021 - 11:30 AM, said:

Well, if you want space for more and larger guns, you have five variants of Hunchback IIC and two OmniMechs: Nova and Huntsman.

Hunchback IIC-A has 8 laser hardpoints, Nova Prime starts with 12 lasers. Posted Image

I'm talking in the 40-45 ton range. The 50-55 ton range is already well covered.

#13 martian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:36 AM

View PostFupDup, on 28 November 2021 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'm talking in the 40-45 ton range. The 50-55 ton range is already well covered.

So some 40- or 45-tonner moving 80-90 km/h, so it will have enough tonnage for larger guns?

#14 FupDup

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,769 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:41 AM

View Postmartian, on 28 November 2021 - 11:36 AM, said:

So some 40- or 45-tonner moving 80-90 km/h, so it will have enough tonnage for larger guns?

Yea. something like the Great Wyrm, Shawk IIC, or Griffin IIC.

#15 martian

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:52 AM

View PostFupDup, on 28 November 2021 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yea. something like the Great Wyrm, Shawk IIC, or Griffin IIC.

Well, you have Griffin IIC, Great Wyrm, Pinion, Shadow Hawk IIC, Clint IIC. Wyvern IIC and Corvis have small engines.
I can not say that I especially like those IICs. Boring. And those other ones are not much better.

Personally I think that you would like Goshawk II: Nine laser hardpoints, removable Jump jets, ECM hardpoint. The technology is already in MWO. Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Extra Guac

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:29 PM

Arctic Wolf doesn't do it for you?

#17 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:00 PM

urbie iic. we most balance the clans to be on parity with the is. we can not allow is urbie dominance to continue!

also its a iic so it should be a cheep upgrade using the existing urbie model. a more clan like paintjob and maybe some structural embellishments. given the small number of variants of the urbie iic (only one in the current timeline, the other also uses a hag20), perhaps make it part of a booster pack as kind of a one off with some other mech. black hawk ku comes to mind, however its kind of iffy as its an is omnimech and would be better off as its own mechpack.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 November 2021 - 04:24 PM.


#18 FupDup

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,769 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 November 2021 - 04:06 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 November 2021 - 04:00 PM, said:

urbie iic. we most balance the clans to be on parity with the is. we can not allow is urbie dominance to continue!

Arguments in favor:
>Light mechs haven't had any new additions in a long time (no booster variants :()
>IS Urbie was one of the best-selling mechs of all time; surely the Clan version would also sell well (which is important because PGI wants a return on investment)
>Would be a viable mech with only average quirking (as opposed to certain other nostalgiamechs that people want...)

Arguments against:
>...

#19 pbiggz

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,500 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 November 2021 - 05:37 AM

I wouldn't mind a grendel simply cause, they're cool. Its a fast 45 tonner. I wouldn't mind another one.

I don't think thats the mech they are teasing. I don't think that's what's coming down the pipe though. In one of the dev streams francois teased the "BLR" iirc. I looked it up and couldn't find a mech or variant with that name.

#20 Escef

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,241 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:29 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 29 November 2021 - 05:37 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind a grendel simply cause, they're cool. Its a fast 45 tonner. I wouldn't mind another one.

I don't think thats the mech they are teasing. I don't think that's what's coming down the pipe though. In one of the dev streams francois teased the "BLR" iirc. I looked it up and couldn't find a mech or variant with that name.


"BLR" is the primary designation of the BattleMaster line. It is a designation shared by the the mech's lighter, newer cousin, the Warlord. This seems unlikely, however, given that there are very few variants of the mech that don't use equipment that MWO lacks.





2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users