• 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:51 AM

In short - it's finally coming.

Steam: https://store.steamp...80/Homeworld_3/

EGS: https://www.epicgame...S/p/homeworld-3

Can't wait, since I've backed the creation of this game (and @Navid_A1 too afaik).

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 20 December 2021 - 12:50 PM

Eh been too long for me to get worked up until there is a released game with solid non fanboy reviews. Got burned and learned on reboots of old franchises taken over by new devs too many times. Plus hw2 wasn't exactly the best game either on story or gameplay and it took quite a while for modders to shape it up because it was an underfunded and rushed game.

#3 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:16 PM

It's been so long since the original announcement, I forgot if I even put money into hw3. I think I did. I am getting hw3 email announcements.

UPDATE: I searched my inbox and found a $60 contribution to HW3, back in September of 2019. I wonder what that gets me.

Edited by knight-of-ni, 30 December 2021 - 06:25 PM.

#4 Noishkel Hauptman

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 01:38 PM

I've been a long time fan of the series, so I'm eager to see it. But I really dislike both Steam and Epic, so I'll probably wait and see if they ever bring it to GOG. The rest of series is over there.

#5 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 18 January 2022 - 03:19 AM

im seeing what the make with the remastered HW2 Version Posted Image the destroyed the game mechanics in amny Parts , like thats Fighters without ammon now not return to homebase, Formations will break all time, Mechanics full of bugs ...so no to HW3

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 18 January 2022 - 03:20 AM.

#6 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:32 AM

I've been getting emails about a Homeworld 3 Mobile early access. Can't say I plan to play this game from my mobile device. Anyone else?

#7 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 05:38 PM

View Postknight-of-ni, on 22 January 2022 - 09:32 AM, said:

I've been getting emails about a Homeworld 3 Mobile early access. Can't say I plan to play this game from my mobile device. Anyone else?

I don't know how they are going to succeed. Space games in mobile are generally dominated by games that involve a lot of base and ship building, working with clan members to attack enemy clan ships and bases, working out alliances and fighting sustained wars. All in real time and involving diplomacy, politics and conquest. You might refer to it as an MMORTS but the game industry is calling them SLG which can stand for Simulation Life Game or Strategy Life Game.

These games often involve permanent loss and rebuild. Battles have a consequence to your overall destiny as a player and for your group.

Its real community warfare.

There is a question what kind of game Homeworld Mobile will be. For example Stellaris in PC and Stellaris in mobile are two very different games. The Stellaris in PC is as you know, a 4X (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) game, but Stellaris in mobile is a PvP SLG.

An example of a SLG: Infinite Lagrange

SLGs are a growing money making genre for mobile. A good example of an early SLG is Clash of Clans, and they cover all sorts of situations, such as Rise of Kingdoms which deals with civilizations, to Warpath which deals with World War 2. There are also naval SLGs where people build bases, then warships, then sends fleets of warships to fight others.

So while Homeworld 3 in PC is likely a single player RTS that continues to the Homeworld lore, Homeworld Mobile is likely to be a SLG like Stellaris Mobile is. You create a custom faction, just like myriads of others, build up you base or mothership, exploit resources and fight others, form alliances and conquer the galaxy with your friends. I personally think these games have a blood rush like no other, because unlike team arena games (like MWO, COD, WOT), SLG combat is strategic and has consequences. You can get great reward or suffer great losses. Losses can set you back rebuilding your stuff. Another element about SLG is that they are persistent. Your assets remain permanently online even as you log out.

As for mobile games, you are warned that P2W is often found. I don't have issues with P2W on single player or cooperative games. In fact, gacha games or hero collection games are mainly single player and sometimes with cooperative. But PvP with P2W can be toxic, especially with persistent community warfare. But it doesn't stop these games however, like I said, its a blood rush.

As a space SLG, I find Homeworld's lore as ideal, and from a business perspective, it would be stupid to ignore this potential.

Edited by Anjian, 22 January 2022 - 05:40 PM.

#8 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:20 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 18 January 2022 - 03:19 AM, said:

im seeing what the make with the remastered HW2 Version Posted Image the destroyed the game mechanics in amny Parts , like thats Fighters without ammon now not return to homebase, Formations will break all time, Mechanics full of bugs ...so no to HW3

Modders have more or less fixed all the issues with the remaster to the point their community patch is included in the download for the game now so you can enable it with the launcher. Hw2 is super fun now and has tons and tons more content than its buggy release. Plus there are some really top notch total conversions for the remaster.

#9 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:39 PM

If by persistent assets you mean I've got to play the game regularly, in order to prevent those assets from being taken by someone else, then I probably won't play it. I'm sure that would be fun for some, but for me it would not be.

Heck, last September I came back to mwo after a 3 year absence. I was glad my cbill, mech hanger, xp, and even my premium time assets were all still there. Not surprising, except for my premium time. I couldn't believe it hadn't run down. I had accumulated almost a full year of it.

#10 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:05 AM

View PostAnjian, on 22 January 2022 - 05:38 PM, said:

(...)
An example of a SLG: Infinite Lagrange

(...)

I'm playing Infinite Lagrange. Unlike other SLG's you're not getting your base annihilated by hostile player and pilfered, just moved elsewhere. The only loss are the ships used to defend the base.

Also, I've played HW Mobile. Yes, you can lose ships in PvP areas, yet it's still WIP. Since HW3 backers are mostly there, we're keeping eye to prevent making it like ordinary P2W centric SLG's.

#11 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:17 AM

Good luck to you too. I'm also currently in Infinite Lagrange. The fact that there is a limit to the progression, a new start and an end to a season, rinse and repeat, keeps the game fresh.

#12 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 09:48 PM

There is a bunch of new indie space RTS, one of them looks promising and another I have seen having ads on Reddit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users