The New Roughneck - What Are Peoples Opinions On It?

49 replies to this topic

#1 Castigatus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:16 AM

Only Roughneck I've ever owned is the Powerhouse, which is nice for a missile + big AC brawler but largely useless outside of that, and the new hero roughneck caught my eye for the multiple side torso ballistic mounts on both sides, which is something the powerhouse makes me beg for.

So I was wondering what peoples general opinion of the mech was?

#2 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:17 AM

65 tons seems to be an ideal IS mech weight for balancing engine size/speed and firepower. Could be good. Depends on quirks as always.

#3 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,571 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:26 AM

Looks like Roughneck Bolt hero mech has Blood Asp-like dual shoulder ballistic mounts Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 16 December 2021 - 07:27 AM.

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:42 AM

View PostCastigatus, on 16 December 2021 - 07:16 AM, said:

Only Roughneck I've ever owned is the Powerhouse, which is nice for a missile + big AC brawler but largely useless outside of that, and the new hero roughneck caught my eye for the multiple side torso ballistic mounts on both sides, which is something the powerhouse makes me beg for.

So I was wondering what peoples general opinion of the mech was?

Keep in mind that Light Fusion Engine needs two slots and Extralight Fusion Engine needs three slots in both left and right torso sections.

Some loadouts will have problems with fitting all intended weapons in those side torsos.

#5 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:42 AM

Quad AC 5 worked pretty well.

Dual uac10 with Medium laser backup is solid

Dual gauss was really fun. But I disliked the lack of backup weapons.

Going to try quad UAC2 today. Im betting it will work well for long range.

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:26 AM

Right so on paper it seems good, but in practice I am not sure. The thing is to make it appealing you need to mount at least two ballistics, so basically two AC 20s. Reason is any smaller calibre and you expose for too long against the furrent ppfld meta, and any few ballistics and the crappy arm mounts won't pick up the slack. You can do MORE ballistics though, like AC5 x 4 and AC 10 plus AC5 x 2, so maybe that is fine but the speed is right on the edge of worrisome. I would not go lower than AC5 though, nor would I do RACs because again - exposure and too few ballistic slots / not enough tonnage for proper AC2 boating. The 'Mech is in a weird spot. The easiest comparison is against the Black Widow, which is heavier and still (hot take) absolutely garbage.

#7 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:28 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 December 2021 - 08:26 AM, said:

Right so on paper it seems good, but in practice I am not sure. The thing is to make it appealing you need to mount at least two ballistics, so basically two AC 20s. Reason is any smaller calibre and you expose for too long against the furrent ppfld meta, and any few ballistics and the crappy arm mounts won't pick up the slack. You can do MORE ballistics though, like AC5 x 4 and AC 10 plus AC5 x 2, so maybe that is fine but the speed is right on the edge of worrisome. I would not go lower than AC5 though, nor would I do RACs because again - exposure and too few ballistic slots / not enough tonnage for proper AC2 boating. The 'Mech is in a weird spot. The easiest comparison is against the Black Widow, which is heavier and still (hot take) absolutely garbage.

I think your hot take is gonna get alot of pushback there.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:33 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 16 December 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

I think your hot take is gonna get alot of pushback there.

Black Widow has been pants for ages. It is rare in T1. Yeah yeah it is highly ranked on Grimmechs but why would you run IS ballistics like that in a chassis with easily isolated hit boxes? You want big gun(s) plus snubs in my opinion.

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:33 AM

Pretty mech, but I won't be using it. It has no autocannon quirks, so it is an inferior platform to the Jaegermech, which just got a quirk pass. If I'm fielding a Roughneck, I'll stick to my 2A, mixing UAC/10 and MRM30... both of which it has quirks for.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:38 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 December 2021 - 08:33 AM, said:

Pretty mech, but I won't be using it. It has no autocannon quirks, so it is an inferior platform to the Jaegermech, which just got a quirk pass. If I'm fielding a Roughneck, I'll stick to my 2A, mixing UAC/10 and MRM30... both of which it has quirks for.

I think it might be more survivable than Jager, and you can strip armour off the arms. But the pitch is a problem and the energy hardpoints will either be useless due to aformentioned stripping or so low down you have to expose fully.

#11 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:42 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 December 2021 - 08:33 AM, said:

The Roughneck does have significant durability boosts over the JagerMech, and torso guns are safer than arm guns. It'll dual-Goose better than JagerMechs can, but I imagine the ammo quirks on JagerMechs will be hard to pass up. Hm. Might be a ten-tons-lighter competitor to the Thanatos more than a competitor to JagerMechs, just without the stealth sniper cheese.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:47 AM

View Post1453 R, on 16 December 2021 - 08:42 AM, said:

The Roughneck does have significant durability boosts over the JagerMech, and torso guns are safer than arm guns. It'll dual-Goose better than JagerMechs can, but I imagine the ammo quirks on JagerMechs will be hard to pass up. Hm. Might be a ten-tons-lighter competitor to the Thanatos more than a competitor to JagerMechs, just without the stealth sniper cheese.

Dual gauss is a meme build though, I would rather do that on Thanatos and go full tard with stealth than leave it out. I think that double ballistics IS the way if you are going to run this Hero. OR three ballistics as big as you can make them. Then you pray the high mounts and armour quirks prove useful.

Edited by RickySpanish, 16 December 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#13 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:35 AM

A friend of mine is trying triple RAC2s with a couple of lasers, and has been doing well enough. Nice high mounts, very survivable chassis for FaceTiming enemies, it’s certainly not a bad option.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:40 AM

View Post1453 R, on 16 December 2021 - 08:42 AM, said:

The Roughneck does have significant durability boosts over the JagerMech, and torso guns are safer than arm guns..

However, a 'Mech with arm-mounted guns can engage more targets than a 'Mech with torso-mounted guns can.

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:43 AM

View PostMaddermax, on 16 December 2021 - 09:35 AM, said:

A friend of mine is trying triple RAC2s with a couple of lasers, and has been doing well enough. Nice high mounts, very survivable chassis for FaceTiming enemies, it’s certainly not a bad option.

Yeah, but I can do the same thing on a Shadowhawk with nearly the same armor. It just doesn't live all that long because you can't twist damage effectively when you're engaging.

#16 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:52 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 09:40 AM, said:

However, a 'Mech with arm-mounted guns can engage more targets than a 'Mech with torso-mounted guns can.

Very true. I know a lot of people hate having to put weapons in arms though. Not only are arm weapons more vulnerable, but then they have to armor those arms. The Bolt offers an option for people who might lean that way. Plus...I mean, c'mon. JagerMechs. Who wants to be seen in a JagerMech? Hueh.

#17 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:01 AM

View Post1453 R, on 16 December 2021 - 09:52 AM, said:

Very true. I know a lot of people hate having to put weapons in arms though. Not only are arm weapons more vulnerable, but then they have to armor those arms. The Bolt offers an option for people who might lean that way. Plus...I mean, c'mon. JagerMechs. Who wants to be seen in a JagerMech? Hueh.

Well Baradul does, among others. Though the wider arm mounts are cause for concern, as you can see he commits team damage with an AC/20 here and there as people try to crowd past him. Posted Image

#18 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:01 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 December 2021 - 10:01 AM, said:

Well Baradul does, among others. Though the wider arm mounts are cause for concern, as you can see he commits team damage with an AC/20 here and there as people try to crowd past him. Posted Image

Not gonna lie, I giggled when Baradul watched his dual AC/20 shot sail cleanly past either side of the Annihilator's head. Hueeeeh. There's one thing the Roughneck does - better weapon convergence :P

#19 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:29 PM

Very true. I know a lot of people hate having to put weapons in arms though. Not only are arm weapons more vulnerable, but then they have to armor those arms.

On Tuesday all JagerMech variants gained armor quirks +14 armor for their arms.

The Bolt offers an option for people who might lean that way. Plus...I mean, c'mon. JagerMechs.

Who wants to be seen in a JagerMech? Hueh.

I do not.

So I usually try to engage enemy 'Mechs this way ...
LOL

Posted Image

#20 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:00 PM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 12:29 PM, said:

So I usually try to engage enemy 'Mechs this way ...
LOL

I've lost count of how many jaeger pilots I've seen who THINK they're behind a hill because their cockpit shows nothing but hillside, only their shoulders are still visible and attracting fire. Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users