55 replies to this topic

#21 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:17 AM

View Postw0qj, on 23 December 2021 - 03:09 AM, said:

Allowing users to sell unwanted cockpit items would help alleviate this situation, for minimal CBills (like it's done in ST:O another online game).

Just ask the MWO Support service to delete those unwanted items. Maybe they can help.

#22 Goedmaker

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 06:24 AM

View PostThreeStooges, on 22 December 2021 - 10:11 AM, said:

Nope. All the founders aka the ones that paid for development,the ones still left any way wouldn't want to back any new attempt to "port" or "remaster" and have to re-buy all the things they had before. Years of mechs mc,c-bills mech xp gone. And you get nothing for it.

Wait long enough and some one will try a mutiplayer mode for mw5 I'm sure since that uses ue. Hell you can find co-op skyrim mods so it just takes dedication from some one to made that mod.

They could give those players an equivalent inventory in the new MWO if that was a major concern. The way I see it any player who invested time and money into the current MWO would be happier if they could continue that in a new MWO, knowing that there is more longevity in it. As a player you would have more confidence in a game that just got a major engine overhaul/remake as opposed to a 10 year old game with a skeleton crew, and would be more willing to support that game with time and money.

I personally didn't really get into MWO until later. I have a hard time justifying putting any large amount of money into the game when the game is so old already. If a MWO 2 or some overhaul was announced I'd be more willing to do that.

#23 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 December 2021 - 07:09 AM

For all intents and purposes, despite their best (worst) efforts, MWO is/was a successful venture. MW5 likewise appears to also be a positive venture with the same IP.

You'd think it'd be a no-brainer for them to hang their hat on the battletech IP and take lessons learned from both ventures and re-invest in that same IP (They do have the licensure for a bit longer after all) in a more robust and broader reaching scale?

That said, there seems to be a desire by PGI to reinvent the wheel instead of capitalizing on a known and productive genre.

I don't know... I would think one would rather be known for successfully beating a dead horse than unsuccessfully forging new frontiers. Posted Image

Edited by DaZur, 23 December 2021 - 07:10 AM.

#24 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 December 2021 - 12:32 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 22 December 2021 - 09:38 PM, said:

remove that stupid frustrating PSR/tiers, embarrassing stats, or put back the way it was.
So you enjoy matches where you're unable to bridge the skill gap between yourself and your opponents?
But those were one of the things you've been complaining about - and still are, because that's one of the factors that would make your loss streaks even worse: the more skilled your opposition is, the more mercilessly they're going to exploit every mistake you make in the match.

View PostGuardDogg, on 23 December 2021 - 02:21 AM, said:

With your kinda words, toxic replies, toxic PSR, I am about to uninstall.
Sorry bud, but there's only one toxic person in that exchange: you, with literally years of drama and ego trips to your name.

Actually, I will do it now, go elsewhere "DCS has a better atmosphere, people who care for each other, not stats...".
The stats were only brought into the discussion after you started making boasts about your competence as a pilot. The only person making them "toxic" is yourself, with your attitude that you're entitled to a rank that does not represent your capabilities.

The more I stay down with the new players, the worst I get. I am seeing it. One step forward, two steps back. The constant losing streaks. That is how the bar works.
No, it's not. We ended up in the same tier after the reset and had the same opportunities to raise our tiers through playing. If you consistently lose PSR because you're a low performer on your team, then it will eventually put you in a tier where you perform equally with your teammates and opponents.

When they replace the PSR, tiers, I will be back.
Replace with what, a roll of dice? It's easy to complain, but unless you can actually propose a better system - if there even is one - those complaints are nothing but an exercise in futility.

I had enough....Done "uninstalled". Bye.
Sure, see you in a month.

Edited by Horseman, 23 December 2021 - 12:33 PM.

#25 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 December 2021 - 12:41 PM

View PostGuardDogg, on 23 December 2021 - 02:21 AM, said:

That is okay. With your kinda words, toxic replies, toxic PSR, I am about to uninstall. Actually, I will do it now, go elsewhere "DCS has a better atmosphere, people who care for each other, not stats...". Time for "MWO" to die. In the forums, I do not feel welcomed and in MWO. No place here, and no place in Tiers. The more I stay down with the new players, the worst I get. I am seeing it. One step forward, two steps back. The constant losing streaks. That is how the bar works. When they replace the PSR, tiers, I will be back. But that is unlikely PGI will work on that. They can not finish a unfinished game. Half of Battletech is missing. I had enough....Done "uninstalled". Bye.

#26 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:18 PM

noting is impossible

if they would have been interested they might even go with crowdfunded
i know a guy that got 500.000.000 banged out of CF without even deliver a game......

still lets be honest MechWarrior's have always been a niche market
i think you already should be happy they toke the risk of making MW5
it takes a lot of capital without much investment in return.

they might wait till unreal engine 5 is truly out i hear development cut cost by 50%
who knowns might be pile of HS from epic but that's what they say
if it's true expect a lot of games even niche ones like MW

#27 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 04:31 PM

View Postw0qj, on 23 December 2021 - 03:09 AM, said:

Upon logging into MWO game client, it retrieves:

a) List of all mechs in your mech stable, including mech packs bought from Steam (I've once received a login error to the effect that it could not connect to Steam, when my ThinkPad was on sporadic cellular connection).

b ) Your individual mech ==> and the list of cockpit items might be so long this might cause needless computer stress, both on server & client sides. Allowing users to sell unwanted cockpit items would help alleviate this situation, for minimal CBills (like it's done in ST:O another online game).

i mean to say its usually not the engine. games rely on a lot of n^2 algorithms which are very sensitive to the number of items they have to process. so a lot of stuff = slow. physics and hit detections being the big ones. mwo only does 24 mechs and a smattering of weapons, so thats not a problem. graphics not so much, a modern video card is effectively a supercomputer designed for heavy parallel work loads. most of the loading time is spent pushing textures into gpu memory.

i think the bottleneck in mwo (as far as launch time goes) is actually the database and not the game engine itself. your connection to the database as well as the limitations of the database server. the database is constantly being hit by requests from clients just making sure they have the stuff they are using. you could speed things up a lot with local caching. but that presents an attack surface for hackers/cheaters and its more work server side as you have to be constantly syncing changes. sync ops are expensive and should be reduced as much as possible (like only when you change something), hashing can be used to make sure your local copy hasn't been tampered with. its a lot faster to send your hash to the database for an ack/nak, say before launching a game than asking for a big list of all the things, every time.

#28 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 04:38 PM

I dunno if they want but if they narrowed down faction war to basically a best of three/five it may have actual faction war. The current system is great when there's loads more people but I don't think people want to invest the time, if they just make it something similar to quick play but actually having an effect on taking planets it may be better. Also maybe getting to specific worlds for some sort of reward would be cool.

#29 DCouch

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 07:34 PM

If the old problems are carried over to the new engine it won't be successful.
For example taking shortcuts will matchmaking.
Like why does PST/PSR have an artificial limit of 5000.

Maybe the best 4mans should be matched with x8 Tier 5 players
Everyone wins

#30 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 23 December 2021 - 09:24 PM

View PostDaZur, on 23 December 2021 - 07:09 AM, said:

For all intents and purposes, despite their best (worst) efforts, MWO is/was a successful venture. MW5 likewise appears to also be a positive venture with the same IP.

You'd think it'd be a no-brainer for them to hang their hat on the battletech IP and take lessons learned from both ventures and re-invest in that same IP (They do have the licensure for a bit longer after all) in a more robust and broader reaching scale?

That said, there seems to be a desire by PGI to reinvent the wheel instead of capitalizing on a known and productive genre.

I don't know... I would think one would rather be known for successfully beating a dead horse than unsuccessfully forging new frontiers. Posted Image

I got mw5 yesterday. Not even three missions in and I've liked it so far. I got it half off and even though I hate epic launcher with a passion for my games I figure since I want to learn ue next year having mw5 assests with the mod tools right in one spot is nice. For my games I stick with steam as much as I can as most of my games are already there or on gog. Each one has their bad and good sides but if I rank them epic is dead last of the three. Gog's offline installers and extras put it second.

#31 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 10:21 PM

View PostDCouch, on 23 December 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

If the old problems are carried over to the new engine it won't be successful.

The problem is that the future MWO2 would be still the product of the same company - PGI.

View PostThreeStooges, on 23 December 2021 - 09:24 PM, said:

I got mw5 yesterday. Not even three missions in and I've liked it so far. I got it half off and even though I hate epic launcher with a passion for my games I figure since I want to learn ue next year having mw5 assests with the mod tools right in one spot is nice. For my games I stick with steam as much as I can as most of my games are already there or on gog. Each one has their bad and good sides but if I rank them epic is dead last of the three. Gog's offline installers and extras put it second.

Good to hear that you are happy with your purchase.

#32 DCouch

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 12:00 AM

View Postmartian, on 23 December 2021 - 10:21 PM, said:

The problem is that the future MWO2 would be still the product of the same company - PGI.

Good to hear that you are happy with your purchase.

Hmm, So you are saying that a company cannot learn from its mistakes.
Perhaps when the mistake was found it was not financially viable to correct it
Maybe if they said that, it would of been better

#33 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,573 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 24 December 2021 - 12:45 AM

I plan to buy MW5/MW6 (for its Clan mechs) from GOG.com all in one go... hopefully the folks creating the MOD's for MW5/MW6 would have figured everything by then!

MW5 is on sale on GOG.com and Steam by the way!
https://mwomercs.com...r-5-mercenaries

Edited by w0qj, 24 December 2021 - 12:46 AM.

#34 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 01:41 AM

View PostDCouch, on 24 December 2021 - 12:00 AM, said:

Dunno ...

Significant part of the playerbase lost ....

Empty Faction Play ... I always laugh when I remember how Russ Bullock called it "the endgame content". Posted Image

PGI's money wasted on Solaris 7 - game mode that never actually took off.

Group queue is dead and buried ...

Does it sound to you like the example of a company that can learn from its mistakes?

#35 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 December 2021 - 01:47 AM

View Postmartian, on 24 December 2021 - 01:41 AM, said:

PGI's money wasted on Solaris 7 - game mode that never actually took off.
And that was buried by PGI's own lack of interest in it. Once it was clear that the mode lives or dies based on the kickoff events, the smart thing to do was reduce season length and restructure the kickoff events to something that kept people engaged with the mode for longer than 24h. PGI never bothered, instead removing the things that kept players engaged.

Edited by Horseman, 24 December 2021 - 01:48 AM.

#36 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 01:59 AM

View PostHorseman, on 24 December 2021 - 01:47 AM, said:

And that was buried by PGI's own lack of interest in it. Once it was clear that the mode lives or dies based on the kickoff events, the smart thing to do was reduce season length and restructure the kickoff events to something that kept people engaged with the mode for longer than 24h. PGI never bothered, instead removing the things that kept players engaged.

I loved the PGI's own admission that Solaris 7 is essentially just an empty place where a few players farm each other to get those rewards, month after month. Posted Image

It is funny that PGI has needed years to find it out. Posted Image

#37 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 December 2021 - 09:10 AM

View PostDCouch, on 24 December 2021 - 12:00 AM, said:

Sadly, PGI has exceptional patterned history of cocking both hammers on a double-barrel shotgun and unceremoniously pointing it at their foot... Posted Image

#38 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 03:24 PM

i knew solaris was doomed when it was going to be 1v1 and 2v2. the fact that there was no mm for 2v2 pretty much killed that mode. i think 4v4 could work. it would be like scouting without the bs (for example no smoke diving, no capping, and you can run things other than bunnies and squirrels) and if they had an mm, but no money to develop it.

when people were asking for solaris, the were more thinking about what was available for mw4/mwll, they weren't thinking dueling.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 December 2021 - 03:25 PM.

#39 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 04:02 AM

Xbox way better. All what you need to control your mech is in the Xbox controller. And no launcher needed to.

#40 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 December 2021 - 01:07 PM

There is the launch of the Russia server and localisation, the cauldron cooperation, the new map and the general feel of Matt Newmans answers in the recent podcast on NGNG.

All of that indicates that the direction is to keep working on the game in the existing engine, and are not planning a remake/revamp. If they were planning a revamp we wouldn't have seen any of those things because they would have been bad investements for a client about to be scrapped.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users