- - - - -

Burner Account?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Gegenschatz

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 11:41 PM

Hello, new player here! Just curious, how bad can you hamper your ability to find organized play with others with an early, devastating string of bad losses and non-performing matches? I've been putting some time in and after seven matches, I have one (1) kill to my name. Embarrassing.

Because of the PSR, would creating and using a "burner account" to learn the ropes and stack losses be in bad taste because of the "EXP bar" nature of the rating? I know K/D and W/L and every other acronym and backslash combination is hugely important in determining who wants you on their shoulder, so... what's the best way to get good against competent opponents without destroying my future clan prospects?

Edited by Gegenschatz, 23 December 2021 - 11:42 PM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 12:22 AM

View PostGegenschatz, on 23 December 2021 - 11:41 PM, said:

Hello, new player here! Just curious, how bad can you hamper your ability to find organized play with others with an early, devastating string of bad losses and non-performing matches? I've been putting some time in and after seven matches, I have one (1) kill to my name. Embarrassing.

The only thing that matters for the matchmaker is your Tier. It does not matter how many games have you played. There are some players with hundreds or maybe thousands games who are in Tier 5.

The most important thing is your willingness to learn. After each game ask yourself a question: What could have I done differently? Why have I died?

Because of the PSR, would creating and using a "burner account" to learn the ropes and stack losses be in bad taste because of the "EXP bar" nature of the rating? I know K/D and W/L and every other acronym and backslash combination is hugely important in determining who wants you on their shoulder, so... what's the best way to get good against competent opponents without destroying my future clan prospects?

The PSR rating lost its EXP nature in July 2020. Now it is about your skill. If you improve, you will move to higher Tiers.

As for your future unit membership ... The number of active MWO players is so low that I do not think that those units are especially picky. You play a few games with them and then you and the unit decide if you will fit.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,466 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 24 December 2021 - 01:01 AM

A warm welcome to MWO!

View Postmartian, on 24 December 2021 - 02:04 AM, said:

Changing the account name does not change the player's PSR. ...

Did you know that you can change your 1st player name change is for free? Posted Image
https://mwomercs.com/profile/name
(All subsequent name changes 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/etc. would require 4,500 MC, which is an reasonable arrangement IMHO).

Therefore your player name change should reset your PSR settings (sorry, have not tried that yet myself).

[Edit]
Thanks to martian point this out, changing your account name does not reset your PSR Level.
So please do not change your account name for PSR; it would not work apparently!
[/Edit]

Strongly suggest that you do not create a burner account; the major effort in creating a MWO workable account with viable mechs (Heavy/Medium/Assault/Light mechs) is a major effort; please do not burn yourself out working on two accounts!!

The good news is, MWO has never been more generous, starting with the Christmas events!!
https://mwomercs.com...day-bonus-mechs
https://mwomercs.com...starts-dec-16th

There are lots of Teams playing together in MWO; many are based on their timezone (folks usually play in the evening of their time zones, so pick one that fit your time zone!

Edited by w0qj, 24 December 2021 - 06:00 AM.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 02:04 AM

View Postw0qj, on 24 December 2021 - 01:01 AM, said:

Did you know that you can change your 1st player name change is for free? Posted Image
https://mwomercs.com/profile/name
(All subsequent name changes 2nd/3rd/4th/5th/etc. would require 4,500 MC, which is an reasonable arrangement IMHO).

Therefore your player name change should reset your PSR settings (sorry, have not tried that yet myself).

Changing the account name does not change the player's PSR.

Strongly suggest that you do not create a burner account; the major effort in creating a MWO workable account with viable mechs (Heavy/Medium/Assault/Light mechs) us a major effort; please do not burn yourself out working on two accounts!!

This is the OP's choice, especially if he intends to use throwavay accounts.

The good news is, MWO has never been more generous, starting with the Christmas events!!
https://mwomercs.com...day-bonus-mechs
https://mwomercs.com...starts-dec-16th

A year ago there was the Loot Bags event too, two free 'Mechs too, and more events.

#5 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,466 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 24 December 2021 - 02:10 AM

I stand corrected; thank you!

View Postmartian, on 24 December 2021 - 02:04 AM, said:

Changing the account name does not change the player's PSR. ...

Edited by w0qj, 24 December 2021 - 02:10 AM.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,689 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 December 2021 - 05:52 AM

Some of us may have ALT accounts for one reason or another.. IS only vs Clan/Merc only (for Faction Warfare) but most may have been started to view what the new players go through, the challenges, or to see changes and how fast said person can rise from starting in Tier 5 to Tier 1.

With that said, what you are missing out on or losing...
  • C-Bills, MC, other components and mechs earned during events, like what is happening now and next week ability to get 2 free mechs + mechbays
  • What you earn during matches.
And your Tier and PSR up/down is based on how you perform in the match your end to the other 23 peoples. And there isnt anything wrong with having more than one account, for whatever reason, even if it to challenge yourself, old you with up/downs vs a more experience you... :)

And having two accounts, if have access to more than one computer or use virtual box, access the private lobbies to test things out. You can do this now with one account and going into the testing grounds before making a purchase of mech, equipment, etc. And players' stats are saved/viewable and can be pulled from the website, and Jarl's list allows a player to view how he had done in the previous months (seasons)

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 December 2021 - 02:11 AM

Hello, new player here! Just curious, how bad can you hamper your ability to find organized play with others with an early, devastating string of bad losses and non-performing matches?
Not at all.

I've been putting some time in and after seven matches, I have one (1) kill to my name. Embarrassing.
Eh. Seven matches in, some players are still searching for the fire buttons.

I know K/D and W/L and every other acronym and backslash combination is hugely important in determining who wants you on their shoulder, so... what's the best way to get good against competent opponents without destroying my future clan prospects?

Honestly, the best way is to keep going and focus on learning from your fuckups - we've all been there at one point, where you begin at doesn't matter as much as how quickly you learn and adapt.
You'll want to connect with the Grimmechs and MWO Comp discord communities, the latter in particular has active recruitment channels. Given the game's population, even more competitively oriented groups will likely take you in if you are willing to learn.

Because of the PSR, would creating and using a "burner account" to learn the ropes and stack losses be in bad taste because of the "EXP bar" nature of the rating?
The rating used to be an EXP bar at one point, but has been retuned about a year and a half ago (along with a global reset). Now it will increase or decrease based on your match score relative to the rest of the players on your and enemy teams.

Edited by Horseman, 25 December 2021 - 04:24 AM.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 06:38 AM

1st relax. What u xp is totally normal. U will loose a lot and your k/d is going to tank hard. But this doesn't matter. U will need the time to learn positioning, mech builds, skill system etc. Not to mention the complicated stuff like ecm states, hitboxez, quirks...

But it will get better. If u want to shorten your way u could look at mech from the above mentioned grimmmechs and or join a unit. 9/10 units will not refuse because of bad stats. And the 10th u can only join when u show such good gameplay and encouragement that your stats will be fine until then.

P.s. lower particles and post processing to low and half your mouse speed settings. When u are done half them again. When u think your mouse is painfull slow-> half it again

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 25 December 2021 - 07:04 AM.

#9 The Kinda Brave Little Toaster

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 12:03 PM

I found any unit that judges you for that, aren't fun to play with.
The ones that take anyone can be fun to drop into quickplay matches with. One i'm in has former tier ones that found the freedom of doing 'whatever seems funny and might work' and them they help skill you up a bit.

Just do your best, and when you find the right players, it might just be the best unit you'll find.

#10 Malkiv Mayhem

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 42 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada, Eh

Posted 25 December 2021 - 08:21 PM

For me, personally, having a second account wouldn't be ideal. I want the time I invest to be reflected in the "movement of the needle" when it comes to K:D and W:L, as well as PSR its self. Tracking my metrics will give me better insight to my progression and where I need to be. To me, the type of persons that will look up my scorecard and mock me for it/bar me from a Unit aren't the type of persons on my radar, and not ones I would even associate with. I'm a competitive person, but not toxic, when it comes to how I approach gameplay; I think you'll find the same kind of philosophy in a majority of the community, as I've experienced. I just want to go in there, communicate and contribute the absolute best that I can every single match.

And getting a kill after only seven games as a totally new player? Honestly, I'm pretty sure you did better than I when I first started playing. lol

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 December 2021 - 01:58 AM

View PostMalkiv Mayhem, on 25 December 2021 - 08:21 PM, said:

I want the time I invest to be reflected in the "movement of the needle" when it comes to K:D and W:L, as well as PSR its self. Tracking my metrics will give me better insight to my progression and where I need to be.
Plus it can be motivating to see how far you got from where you began.

To me, the type of persons that will look up my scorecard and mock me for it/bar me from a Unit aren't the type of persons on my radar, and not ones I would even associate with. I'm a competitive person, but not toxic, when it comes to how I approach gameplay
There are legitimate uses for it, such as an filtering comp team applications or to gauge how much effort is needed to train you up to their standards.
People who would mock you for where you started, however, are simply being ********.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 02:04 AM

View PostMalkiv Mayhem, on 25 December 2021 - 08:21 PM, said:

For me, personally, having a second account wouldn't be ideal. I want the time I invest to be reflected in the "movement of the needle" when it comes to K:D and W:L, as well as PSR its self. Tracking my metrics will give me better insight to my progression and where I need to be.

It is not important that you see some downward PSR movement after you start playing MWO. Once you learn some basics of the game, your PSR will go up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users