Quick Sp Questions

8 replies to this topic

#1 Primal Fusion

Rookie

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 06:31 PM

I have a question about SP, just wanna make sure i understand it right though.

So as i understand it i can gain exp on my mechs and then pay MC to convert that xp to global xp at about 1 mc per 100 xp converted, say for example 80,000 xp costing me 800mc.
I can then convert that 80,0000 global exp to SP at 800xp to 1SP costing me 45,000 cbills per SP, 4,500,000 total.

Question 1. Is there any point in doing that when i can just buy 100 sp with 1250(625 with a sale)MC ?

I mean even at the none sale price its 1250 vs 800(+4.5m Cbills(1600mc if u for some reason decided to buy cbills).

Question 2. Am i missing something ? Is there another way to get SP ?

I understand that i can play with 1 mech and over time generate xp for that 1 mech, so i can convert it for SP on that 1 mech with only CBills + playtime, but you don't exactly gain the XP/Cbills fast and its still 45k per SP and i needs my Cbills for new mechs.

#2 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 December 2021 - 06:45 PM

XP conversion is kind of a leftover from before skill tree, it made more sense in the old system. That said if you have lots of cbills 800mc vs 1250 might be worth it.

They've been handing out quite a lot of GSP through events lately, I would look out for that.

The whole system is ridiculous, but it is what it is for now. In most cases it's just biting the bullet and playing the mech or buying GSP.

#3 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

There are so many events where you'll get global exp and SP, it don't matter. Just play to your hearts content and don't waste MC on exp. Save it for mech bays.

#4 dubstep albatross

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

View PostPrimal Fusion, on 29 December 2021 - 06:31 PM, said:

I understand that i can play with 1 mech and over time generate xp for that 1 mech, so i can convert it for SP on that 1 mech with only CBills + playtime, but you don't exactly gain the XP/Cbills fast and its still 45k per SP and i needs my Cbills for new mechs.

By the time I earn 72,800 XP on a chassis, I know if I want to continue to play it and if I want to invest into the skill tree. In addition, this lets me fiddle with builds and understand how I want to play the chassis and what skills I want to leverage. At first glance, lots of things in the skill tree look like they are good to have, but after earning 91 SP worth of XP, I know where my investment would be best. I also feel that part of why I play MWO is the journey and this becoming familiar with a mech is part of that journey.

I also do not spend my SP incrementally. I wait until I have enough XP for all 91 SP, then pick all my skills then. It is more satisfying to play the next few matches with the total change in skills.

A good match, especially on the first win of the day (2x), often yields me 5-7k XP. It takes me about 35 to 45 matches to get enough XP to buy 91 SP. Your mileage may vary.

If I need to duplicate a chassis or something, I will use GSP I have hoarded from various events. I have accumulated quite a bit of GXP, but have never really bothered to spend any of it.

#5 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,573 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 29 December 2021 - 07:52 PM

If you're one of those with MC left lying around to burn (!), and you have lots of unskilled mechs, it's worth converting each of your mech's indivicual XP >> GXP, at this On Sale 4x XP>>GXP conversion rate!
https://mwomercs.com...experience-sale

For example, when on sale it takes only 100 MC to convert 90,000 XP >> 90,000 GXP on my MAL-2P (which I actually have right now). That's enough for 112 Skill Points, on any mech of your choice!

In your MWO game client:
[Home]>>[Convert_XP]

It's worth doing since I have lots of mature mechs with extra XP sitting around, and lots more unskilled mechs!

(Converted all my mechs' XP >> GXP during last sale, and got well over 7-digits worth of GXP to level up my unskilled mechs!
Gonna to do it again this time around too!)

#6 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 01:10 AM

Personally I have never wasted MCs on XP conversions. I just play my 'Mech and ...
  • if I know that I like that 'Mech, I see no point in spending MCs on those conversions. I am going to use it for weeks or months, so how does it matter if I skill it up one day sooner or later?
  • if I do not especially like that 'Mech, then there would be no point in spending MCs on it.

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:07 AM

In the old days SP was hard to come by and you had to skill up three mechs of a type. These days PGI seems to be a lot more liberal with SP to help new players skill.

So which ever way suits you go for it.

#8 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 03:27 AM

The conversion is a legacy feature that is very bad value compared to just buying GSP packages on sale.

#9 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:02 AM

Honestly, those GXP, HXP, XP, conversions, experience points, skill points, skill nodes, etc. can be quite confusing - at least for me. Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users