185 replies to this topic

#21 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for the new map(s)!

i'd also like you to bring back the old HPG!This new one sucks....

and i'd like to see the old Terra Therma...that would be a nice bonus!

#22 Areno

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:20 AM

Is it possible to display the QUIRKS in an extra window, or at least separate them from the normal skills by color?

#23 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:40 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 15 January 2022 - 06:22 AM, said:

You're correct: "impulse" refers to the amount of screen shake caused. Reducing it means that you won't get knocked around as much while you're getting shot, and can better line up a return shot. To my own question: why the sudden addition of Radar Dep to literally everything? I make it a personal point to AVOID that overpowered pos whenever possible, only caving to the need to pick up the ECM nodes. LRMs can't trade in a direct-fire capacity without locks because of their incredibly slow projectile speed, and with the amount of ECM on the field, today, and MASC, and overall maneuverability, cover, and general Call-of-Duty peek-and-poke playstyle in MWO, the ability to hold a target for a second or two after it drops into cover to complete the target lock and fire indirect (also enabling the upward arc which will clear the cover they just ducked behind) is the ONLY way an LRM weapon system can cause any damage in a match. Given that Radar Dep takes precedence over Target Retention, as well, and the increase in 100% radar dep running around the battlefield is absolutely eradicating an entire weapon system from the game.

Finally somebody else said it other than me..

#24 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:10 PM

I'll look forward to the Battlemaster and Bloodasp changes, but I hope you guys revisit the Rifleman IIC quirks soon since it seems that most of the clan 65 ton mech quirks have been revamped by the Cauldron.

#25 Culnan

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:15 PM

Always happy to see a slight buff to the Fang (which I loved both before and after the recent changes). Everything else is hard to say anything definitive, but the tweaks here look pretty positive overall.

#26 Krovakon

• PipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:57 PM

That Ice Ferret buff is nuts! I'm going to have so much more fun now that I have an extra ~4.5 tons to play around with. This means you can now fit Dual UAC2's or a single UAC 5, ECM, and enough ammo to never run out. Or even a single UAC 10 and the equivalent of 4 tons of ammo. If you like to live dangerously you could even cram in a UAC20 and 2.5 tons of ammo (after quirks). Looks like my dual UAC10 cougar has finally found a battle buddy.

#27 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:00 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 15 January 2022 - 07:37 AM, said:

The heat increase has been intentionally chosen small to not affect mechs that rely only on SPLs. And even then the cSPLs right now are still at the highest performance level they've even been since 2014 (including the period they had 6 damage and 3 heat).

The mech you are referring to, assuming it is an INC-4 can run 6xSPL + 1xER Micro with 14 DHS and a fast engine.

Currently that mech is able to alpha 15 times at a sustained DPS of 8.38 after being fully skilled. Each alpha is 18.4% on the heat bar and takes your heat sinks 3.11 to dissipate the resulting heat fully, and they manage to bring down your heat to around 5-6% when your next alpha is ready.

With this change you'll be able to still alpha 12 times before overheating at 7.86 sustained DPS. An alpha will be 19.9% on your heat bar, which will take your heatsinks 3.37 seconds to fully dissipate, and they manage to bring down your heat to around 7% when your next alpha is ready.

Pretty powerful still. Not sure how you concluded that it is going to be unplayable. Were 6xcSPL Arctic cheetahs unplayable when cSPL had 3 heat?

Also regarding the Piranha. That mech mainly relies on massed machine guns and micro class lasers mixed with a few cSPLs to deliver its DPS up close and is unrelated to this change.

TLDR: less than 2% heat bar on every alpha hardy makes anything unplayable, especially at the current performance level of cSPLs.

I'm not arguing with the math. I'm just saying that the Ink 4 is hotter than hell. It's ok, but it's also a small mech hunter killer, and when you're in it with a Piranha or other higher damage (relatively speaking) light, it's hard to keep up the rate of fire (You can't ruin from them, so you gotta fight it out). I find myself in a dog fight using my secondary fire button reducing SPLs to 4 in order to stop overheating. You gotta make it count too, since the SPL doesn't really have an incredibly fast cool down (relatively speaking, for a light weapon).

Many Ink4 pilots don't use full heat dissipation, either. I use radar dep as interdiction scouting so I can get in close before being detected. So, you gotta deal with that, heat wise, also.

It's just my experience, but the Ink4 SPL load is a decent mech, but it's in no way overpowered. It's hot in many real world configurations, and you WILL cook yourself in override when dog fighting other lights.

Making it even hotter is going to make it that much less desirable.

Like I said, it's decent now, but add heat, and, well, I dunno man. You already hardly see the Ink4 SPL build on the battlefield - for a reason. It's just hot.

Edited by NoxMorbis, 15 January 2022 - 01:03 PM.

#28 Kadesfy

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:02 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 14 January 2022 - 09:29 PM, said:

Hellebore Outpost has been very well received, and Francois is already hard at work on the next new Quick Play map, which will be based off of the Faction Play map Emerald Taiga and will be another new biome for Quick Play. Expect to hear and see more about that, as well as our other MWO plans for 2022 very soon!

Cant wait for Vitric forge quick play map next!!

#29 Staude Coston

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 15 January 2022 - 08:04 AM, said:

Clans having the best five laser vomit fast heavy mechs in the game is not enough?

we're talking about the same game

#30 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 733 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:12 PM

Yeeeeah, because CSmall Pulses needed exactly that, to be even hotter...
Also, the Mauler needs armor quirks.

Edited by PraetorGix, 15 January 2022 - 03:17 PM.

#31 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:30 PM

BL-7-KNT-L:
  • Added -10% STD Laser duration

aw, the only laser type mine doesn't have (it has ERLL on the arms and MPLs on the other hardpoints)

BUG FIXES
  • Hellbore Outpost - Domination Circle is now more visible on the minimap

And what about Caustic Valley, the map that started with the nearly invisible domination circles?

Edited by Buenaventura, 15 January 2022 - 06:31 PM.

#32 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:23 PM

View PostAlsvartar, on 15 January 2022 - 08:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the new map(s)!

i'd also like you to bring back the old HPG!This new one sucks....

and i'd like to see the old Terra Therma...that would be a nice bonus!

and the original Caustic Valley, which was a beautiful map "blue skies, trees, center caldron, etc. You don't even need to do anything with it, just bring back the 2013 Caustic Valley ,map as is!

View PostPraetorGix, on 15 January 2022 - 03:12 PM, said:

Yeeeeah, because CSmall Pulses needed exactly that, to be even hotter...
Also, the Mauler needs armor quirks.

SPL on a light are hot, yes. Maybe keep them as they are for lights, and increase heat for heavies and assaults?

#33 Lepestok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationNizhniy Tagil

Posted 16 January 2022 - 01:12 AM

LRM - «Reduced impulse...»
What is the impulse?

#34 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 06:25 AM

View PostLepestok, on 16 January 2022 - 01:12 AM, said:

LRM - «Reduced impulse...»
What is the impulse?

Screen shake.

Instead of being
"LRM 5/10/15/20:
-Reduced impulse to 0.15 (from 0.3)
-Reduced screen shake when hit by LRMs"

It should probably have been something like

LRM 5/10/15/20:
-Reduced impulse to 0.15 (from 0.3) to reduce screen shake when hit by LRMs

#35 Lifeblight

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 06:29 AM

Caldron motto, "Making the game less fun one patch at a time."
Thanks guys.

#36 Cruor vult

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationRCW

Posted 16 January 2022 - 07:37 AM

I, like most old players, have been waiting for about 8 months for the announced mech size changes, as well as changes to the FP, the year of the FP, the Tokaido event, changes in attitude towards units and loyalists, the introduction of "new" content into the game, fixing "old" bugs and bugs. Stirring **** with a magic wand, alas, does not make it any better. Well, something went that didn’t go, and what worked stopped working, what effect does this have on the quality of the game? By and large, no, the game does not get better and more interesting from this.
P.S.
Sorry for my french

Edited by Cruor vult, 16 January 2022 - 07:41 AM.

#37 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 09:44 AM

Ladies and gentlemen,

you could at least pay Navid the honor to back up your claims of weapon systems becoming unplayable / butt-nerfed in your eyes - especially if talking about prevalent meta-ones like SPLs - with some data based evidence. While he tries to bring up reasonable arguments why certain builds and/or weapon systems are still playable / strong enough compared to alternatives, one-lining won't bring us anywhere in terms of a progressive balancing discussion.

Why not try the viability of builds pre- and after patch and give dedicated feedback afterwards? Hastily proclaimed expectations are a bad base for balancing.

Furthermore don't you think that patching MWO for free over the last couple of months and therewith making lots of variants or whole mechs viable that have not been played for ages before, should grant the Cauldron at least the benefit of the doubt to potentially re-do balance changes over time, when em are deemed inappropriate?

Critique is fine if articulated appropriately, but it should not result in some sort of disapproving and affectual reactions, especially when the whole balance has to be taken into account and the Cauldron has more than once stated that balance changes are progressive / on-going - and this applies to weapon systems as it does to quirks.

====

PGI not investing meaningful engineering ressources is another issue one can not hold the Cauldron responsible for.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 16 January 2022 - 09:45 AM.

#38 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 16 January 2022 - 10:51 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 16 January 2022 - 09:44 AM, said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

you could at least pay Navid the honor to back up your claims of weapon systems becoming unplayable / butt-nerfed in your eyes - especially if talking about prevalent meta-ones like SPLs - with some data based evidence. While he tries to bring up reasonable arguments why certain builds and/or weapon systems are still playable / strong enough compared to alternatives, one-lining won't bring us anywhere in terms of a progressive balancing discussion.

Why not try the viability of builds pre- and after patch and give dedicated feedback afterwards? Hastily proclaimed expectations are a bad base for balancing.

Furthermore don't you think that patching MWO for free over the last couple of months and therewith making lots of variants or whole mechs viable that have not been played for ages before, should grant the Cauldron at least the benefit of the doubt to potentially re-do balance changes over time, when em are deemed inappropriate?

Critique is fine if articulated appropriately, but it should not result in some sort of disapproving and affectual reactions, especially when the whole balance has to be taken into account and the Cauldron has more than once stated that balance changes are progressive / on-going - and this applies to weapon systems as it does to quirks.

====

PGI not investing meaningful engineering ressources is another issue one can not hold the Cauldron responsible for.

View PostC337Skymaster, on 15 January 2022 - 06:22 AM, said:

You're correct: "impulse" refers to the amount of screen shake caused. Reducing it means that you won't get knocked around as much while you're getting shot, and can better line up a return shot.

To my own question: why the sudden addition of Radar Dep to literally everything? I make it a personal point to AVOID that overpowered pos whenever possible, only caving to the need to pick up the ECM nodes. LRMs can't trade in a direct-fire capacity without locks because of their incredibly slow projectile speed, and with the amount of ECM on the field, today, and MASC, and overall maneuverability, cover, and general Call-of-Duty peek-and-poke playstyle in MWO, the ability to hold a target for a second or two after it drops into cover to complete the target lock and fire indirect (also enabling the upward arc which will clear the cover they just ducked behind) is the ONLY way an LRM weapon system can cause any damage in a match. Given that Radar Dep takes precedence over Target Retention, as well, and the increase in 100% radar dep running around the battlefield is absolutely eradicating an entire weapon system from the game.

Firstly, addressing Anachronism. Navid and I don't get along all that well but I will be the first to say that at least he tries to understand the metrics enough to known roughly what might occur to weapons and such based on the patch notes. Likewise, unlike some, I feel the game has become better, not worse, over the last year simply because we have a group of players suggesting valid changes to the game and PGI is actually listening to them to a degree. There have been many points in the recent year where I've had matches that feel like old MWO, like pre-FedCom Civil War 3060s MWO, and that excites me, because that was when the game was at its best, even with the Clans present.

I enjoy the Cauldron's input; it has been beneficial. Especially where the playerbase has been concerned because, and I'm sorry Mods but I am bringing this up, all the recent changes have forced some players out of the game entirely. Those players who left were some of the worst kind, the kind who wanted this game to be a hillhumping, peeky CoD f#ckfest, and not what its meant to be which is a slow moving mech shooter. Part of what makes this game fun is the people you fight with and against, the people who come up with clever builds or tactics to win battles, to inspire other's to try new ways of fighting or building mechs. And as a final point I agree that balance is on-going for a game like this. Look at any other MMO and you'll see balance is constantly changing to ensure that things are mostly fair.

With regards to what you've said Skymaster, you should know by now that the Tier 1 elitests have been constantly trying to marginalize and eliminate LRMs as a viable weapon for years. They are still highly upset about getting their a$$'s handed to them by my LRM-60 King Crab all those years ago and have been trying to get revenge since. Because to them, if your mech isn't running Gauss/PPC, MPL/LPL vomit, or SRM splat, then its not a viable build and you're a scrub. Fact of the matter is, I've done more damage, gotten more kills and in general had more fun with custom or tabletop based builds (many of which use LRMs as a supplamental weapon) then people who have used meta builds.

I wonder why that is? Hmmmm.....

Edited by Avalon91211, 16 January 2022 - 10:52 AM.

#39 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:02 AM

View PostLifeblight, on 16 January 2022 - 06:29 AM, said:

Caldron motto, "Making the game less fun one patch at a time."
Thanks guys.

What are you talking about LMAO

This looks like a great patch to me.

#40 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:03 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 January 2022 - 11:02 AM, said:

This looks like a great patch to me.

It lacks Zeus-/Skokomish-Buffs though Posted Image ... *goes hiding deep into Steiner territory again*

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 16 January 2022 - 11:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users